Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Hanneman - waddaya think?

• 28-06-2006 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I think he's a pretty crap guitarist, most of his solos are EXACTLY the same, especially when he plays live. Divine Intervention has a good couple of solos, but still.....

I've just heard Slayers new song "Cult" and Jeff Hanneman does it again - the same feckin solo he's been doing for 25 years....

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

i dont think many of Slayers solos are particularly inventive. Jeff & Kerry can riff like all jaysas, but soloing isnt really their strong point. still, i love Jeff on account of he wrote Angel of Death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

i would agree about the solos in general but his solo in Seasons(the song) is one of my favourite ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Beekay wrote:
    i would agree about the solos in general but his solo in Seasons(the song) is one of my favourite ever

I concur, i love that solo.

whatever you say about Hanneman's solo's, at least theyre better than Kerry King's! he just lets rip, i dont think he even cares if he's in key!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

well Kings usually just sound like a bag cats being smashed against a wall most of the time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

the crazy on the spot solos are just part of what slayer are.. it adds to the aggression imo.. and ya seasons solos by jeffs is one of my favourites too... and also i love him coz he's constantly drunk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

whatever you say about Hanneman's solo's, at least theyre better than Kerry King's! he just lets rip, i dont think he even cares if he's in key!
    Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Steoob wrote:
    the crazy on the spot solos are just part of what slayer are.. it adds to the aggression imo.. and ya seasons solos by jeffs is one of my favourites too... and also i love him coz he's constantly drunk :D

Yea I'v always thougth that too. The solos aren't exactly ment to be pleasing on the ear, more like they're supposed to mirror the pain and aggression that the songs inspire. Fair enough Hanneman's sound a bit similar especially when live but I suppose there's only so much you can do when you're not trying to be melodic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea the slayer solos suck bar one or two but those guys wrote some of the most killer riffs ever.

and yes the seasons solo kicks major ass.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Who gives a fúck about the solos in all honesty? They're meant to be extremely fast and unmelodic. The riffs are all that really matter in Slayer's case, and they are damn good at writing a good riff. Particularly Hanneman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

kerry's solos are far more repetetive to my ears. Whammy bar reliance on his part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hannemans solo in The Antichrist, is supoib!

Advertisement