Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite spin routes?

Options
  • 28-06-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples' preferred spinning routes are for short spins of around 20k, and longer ones too.

I can only speak from experience of north Dublin. My short run is Chapelizod - Knockmaroon Hill for the climb - out by the liffey to Lucan - backtrack to Phoenix Park - avenue to Parkgate St - backtrack to Chapelizod and that clocks in at around 20K. It has two short climbs and is quite picturesque, and gets the blood flowing.

So what's your favourite spinning route, wherever it may be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

I've a favourite spin thats about 20k as well, starts in Blackrock, travels south along the coast road through Monkstown, Dunlaoighaire, Dalkey and up to the top of the Vico Road in Killiney, then turn around and backtrack the whole way back to Blackrock, takes an hour, some of the best scenery in Dublin, and some short but quite nasty hills.

If I'm feelin energetic/foolish, I can double the distance by continuing on the Rock road on the way back to carry on along the coast road past Sandymount accross the Eastlink and along to end of the bike track in Sutton. There can be a bit of stop/start to it, but along some sections like the rock road you can floor it.

Plus I've found over recent years that cycling in Dublin has started to be an unpleasant experience, cycle lanes are covered in muck and glass and potholes and entrances, but then if you use the Bus lane you get beeped out of it, on a 5/6 grand bike its suicide cycling on bike lanes at 20mph+. Then there's way more close calls with **** drivers, plus the scenery is pretty bland for the most part. I reckon stick to a few nice routes then sneak off to Wexford/Waterford for some decent spins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Funny, small world when you're a cyclist!! Yeah its really the only decent spin I can think of in my area, the N11's a nightmare the whole way till Kilmacanogue, the alternative is the old enniskerry road but thats chopped to bits with construction. I reckon the mountains are a good choice bt I'm not quite fit enough for them yet! I do reckon the best option is Wexford/Waterford. Even contemplating driving down to Wicklow and using my car as a start/finish point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Plus I've found over recent years that cycling in Dublin has started to be an unpleasant experience, cycle lanes are covered in muck and glass and potholes and entrances
    Contact the local authority responsible, probably the road maintenance division. They can be quite helpful.
    I have a direct number for a Fingal CoCo guy on my mobile. Any glass or debris is cleaned up within 24 hours of me calling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

beans wrote:
    I can only speak from experience of north Dublin. My short run is Chapelizod - Knockmaroon Hill for the climb - out by the liffey to Lucan - backtrack to Phoenix Park - avenue to Parkgate St - backtrack to Chapelizod and that clocks in at around 20K. It has two short climbs and is quite picturesque, and gets the blood flowing.
    You could climb Somerton Road and/or Rugged Lane to get some extra climbing in. When training for the Wicklow 100 (as a first timer I didn't risk the 200km option) I went up and down each of these.

Also for my Wicklow 100 training I headed out from Clonsilla toward Leixlip, onto Maynooth then to Dunboyne, across to Kilbride and back via Hollystown. I got a bit lost but it was quite pleasant and around 35 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I've often wondered about what lies up Rugged Lane. That particular climb shall be saved for a time when I have a working front derailleur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

beans wrote:
    Just wondering what peoples' preferred spinning routes are for short spins of around 20k, and longer ones too.

So what's your favourite spinning route, wherever it may be?

My Favorite spin is From Douglas to Carrigaline form there to Ringaskiddy and down to Passage West and back to Douglas. It about 30K and a good ride with a good mix of Hills and flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

My fave is:

Inchicore - Islandbridge - Chapelizod - Knockmaroon hill - Castleknock - Phoenix park turn right at the Obelisk abd follow the road right round toward St Mary's hospital - back up the hill past Cheshire homes toward Furry Glen (avoid evening times in the Furry Glen wearing cycle shorts - it's a bit 'hellooo sailor' if you catch my drift...:D ) then past Farmleigh across the main road toward the Ashtown gate but continue toward Garda HQ then back up the main road to the Aras and turn left toward St Marys - out the Chapelizod gate and back to Inchicore.

Still don't know the distance cos me speedo's broke - but I'm usually sweating like a priest in a kindergarden after it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I do a slight variaton of Daymos route - out Clonsilla, down along the canal through Leixlip (damn hill) and out to Maynooth, up north a it and down parallel to the N3 through Clonee and back to Clonsilla station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

From Lucan/Leixlip I would head to Tallaght and up boharnabreena and back down by the Hell Fire. I did it this morning as I was pushed for time. Keep the speed over 17kph or the flies will eat you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I've a favourite spin thats about 20k as well, starts in Blackrock, travels south along the coast road through Monkstown, Dunlaoighaire, Dalkey and up to the top of the Vico Road in Killiney, then turn around and backtrack the whole way back to Blackrock, takes an hour, some of the best scenery in Dublin, and some short but quite nasty hills.

Yeah, this is the route I go along as well, although I'm starting from Sandymount. If I was just on a short spin, then I'd try to go up over Killiney Hill and come back past Killiney Dart Station.
    But if I'm on a longer spin I'll continue out to Shankhill and on to Bray and maybe further through Bray towards Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah, I'm another who does something similar. I usually would do it on a Sunday evening, starting off from Monkstown, and ending up cycling up Killiney hill, stopping at the top to watch the sunset over the city, and then coming down through the forest in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Work in Sandyford so Eniskerry and back direct through the scalp would be mine. Just slightly over 20k. Cut up with construction right now, yes, but it's honestly not that bad (and it's getting better, they are shorter stretches than they used to be, and you can use the pavement for the first one.) I also do think traffic is lower on that road than it used to be before the M50 was finished.

If you are perverse there is also the option of going up Barnaculla looping around by Johnny Fox's and back through Kilternan.

At weekends, starting in Donnybrook, out Rock Road, there is a cycle track through the park from Booterstown which gets you as far as Blackrock DART and then you can go off the road again from Seapoint as far as the far pier in Dun Laoghaire (watch out for them pedestrians on that bit.) Then up Vico Road and around Killiney Hill. Alternatively Lucan via Strawberry Beds, Howth via the lengthy cycle lane, or Eniskerry via Sally Gap. But these are over 20k.

Advertisement