Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some good advice(Air+Amd2 oc)

Options
  • 28-06-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Doing up a new spec for a mate from overclockers and need some advise.
    Spec is Am2 X2 3800+
    OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel XTC Platinum SeriesLink
    Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2Link

Hes getting a 500watt seasonic and a 7900gt. I was wondering has anybody else any ideas as to better componants than this for the memory and motherboard?

Also I need recommandations for a good air-cooler since I have never used air cooling myself and dont know what to look for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Arctic Cooling Freezer64 has been mooted as being the best air-cooler available. Can't say for sure if it has AM2 mounting brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SyxPak wrote:
    The Arctic Cooling Freezer64 has been mooted as being the best air-cooler available. Can't say for sure if it has AM2 mounting brackets.

Ouchh, didnt think that Amd would change their mounting brackets. The only cpu cooler I can see that states Amd compatablity is the Zalmon at top here. Thing is he is building this first time without my help and I dont think he could handle the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'd put money on Arctic Cooling having a suitable bracket included, and if your mate ends up with one a quick email would probably result in them mailing one out to you.

Or you could just email em and see what they have in the works.

That said, I think the current AMD stock cooler is quite swish, performs on par with a Thermalright XP-90 (alu) with a bog standard 80mm fan. I *think*.
    It has heatpipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Best air cooling is either TT BigTower or a ninja. But their huge an can be kinda dangerous ;p
    Freezers are quite good too.

I asked oc'uk on a list of compatible coolers. Now I play the waiting game.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Handy links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

is the thermalright xp120 compatibile.. its a nice cooler and with a decent fan can be quiet enough too

Advertisement