Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy PS2

• 28-06-2006 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to fix the Disc Read Errors on the PS2? I know it's a fairly old console, but I've kept it in good nick, and it still plays dvds. I recently found a copy of GTA:SA in my house <still don't know how I got it> and it infuriatingly refuses to play it. I've occasionally got these Error mesages before but now I can't play any games it seems.

Any Suggestions?

fec*kin crap playstations :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I did mine ages ago, just googled "repair PS2", and looked til I found one.

Basically I removed the 8 rubber/plastic feet, undid the screws, and used an alcohol wipe to clean the bit that reads the disc. It's works a now, but it's dodgy if it's standing upright sometimes.

U'll indo the seal when y open it, but I'm guesing your warranty is up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

ps2 has the worst disk reader ever. There are sum tutorials about how to clean (and even adjust) the lens in the internet. if not, you could get a spere lens to repair it, also in the internet.

I live around talbot street (in Dublin) and there's a tiny shop that sells second hand books and games, and there's a bloke there who repairs consoles and pc's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it can be fixed, i did it myself, but in the end i had to get a replacement because the fix really is only a temporary job.

best bet is either get a replacement, fix it in dodgy style or save for a ps3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Yep, there's a great guide I was given in a previous post here which fixed it for about three months.

Whatever you do, though, don't move the lens as it told me to do . . .mine was goosed after that

In the end I bought a new slim ps2 for €140 in Dunnes and it was well worth it never to have those poxy errors again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

just open it up, thats what i did, but before that i used to give it a hit or just change it to its upright position and it worked:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

i used one of those disc cleaners, u no it looks like a normal disc but has 2 tiny brushes on it, u can get them in most electronic or computer store.

beware it sill is dodgy but reads most discs, hooray wen d PS3 arrives no more of dis crap!

Advertisement