Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accidents with out of state drivers

Options
  • 28-06-2006 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was recently in a crash with a car from Northern Ireland. He was stationary when this guy ran into the back of him. This nordie drove off at speed but my friend managed to get his reg. The Guards said that as the nordie was from outside the jurisdiction, there was nothing they could do.

Now this is similar to what happened to me a couple of years ago on the Quays in Dublin. I was sitting in my lane minding my own business when a northern registered truck in the lane to my right decided to try to get into a gap in traffic in from of me. His trailer caught my front wing and mangled it. I went into the bus lane and managed to cut in front of him to get him to stop. A couple of other drivers saw what had happened and said they would act as witnesses. I got the guys licence number, truck registration etc but when I phoned him with the quote for the repair, I was told to "fornicate elsewhere" or words to that effect. I tried the cops and they couldn't help. I tried the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland as they are supposed to help you if hit by non-nationals but they lost my claim and gave me the runaround.

My point is why can't we stop these people driving here if they can get away with causing damage and/or serious injury to Irish drivers and their cars? We have enough home grown loonies on our roads but at least you have some comeback if hit by a boy racer/drunk etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Nothing can be done until the law is actually there to be enforced.

The fact that there are non Irish registered cars arriving into the country every week that are worth less than the trip cost to bring them here alarms me most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

My point is why can't we stop these people driving here if they can get away with causing damage and/or serious injury to Irish drivers and their cars?

Are you suggesting we prevent all Northern (or indeed foreign) registered cars from entering the Republic?

(Hey, let's not stop there - why not prevent EVERYONE from coming into Ireland in case they do something unlawful and then leave the country?)

In your and your friend's cases somebody was not doing their job, be it the Guards or the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland. This **** the Guards spun about "he's from outside the jurisdiction, there was nothing we can do" is a crock. If they actually bothered to catch him between committing the offence leaving the jurisdiction there is plenty they could do.

Did the mate consider contacting the PSNI? Insurance issued in the North covers the driver while in Ireland so if he fled because he was uninsured he'd also be uninsured in the North too. Perhaps they could be of help?

Failing that, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...The A-Team.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can still instigate proceedings. Consult a good solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It doesn't matter where they are from the still have Irish Law applied to them once they are here, they are not immune !

Difficult to track though I agree !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Are you suggesting we prevent all Northern (or indeed foreign) registered cars from entering the Republic?

(Hey, let's not stop there - why not prevent EVERYONE from coming into Ireland in case they do something unlawful and then leave the country?)

In your and your friend's cases somebody was not doing their job, be it the Guards or the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland. This **** the Guards spun about "he's from outside the jurisdiction, there was nothing we can do" is a crock. If they actually bothered to catch him between committing the offence leaving the jurisdiction there is plenty they could do.

Did the mate consider contacting the PSNI? Insurance issued in the North covers the driver while in Ireland so if he fled because he was uninsured he'd also be uninsured in the North too. Perhaps they could be of help?

Failing that, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...The A-Team.

I was wondering if someone would bring up the "potential racist" card.

I don't give a toss about who or what is driving the car so long as I have some comeback if my car is damaged. I had to fork out €1,500 to get my car fixed when that northern tosser took the wing off.

Anyone who travels on the M1 can see that the nordies put the boot down when they come into the Republic. I've been doing 120km on that road and I've been left standing when one of those eejits blasts by me. This applies to all ages from the north and not just the boy racers.

Anyone from out of state should be held in custody until they either produce verifiable insurance or they lodge a cash bond that is sufficiant to pay for the damages to Irish cars.

Until then, God help anyone hit by these morons who can drive with impunity in the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

It wasn't bringing up a "potential racist" card, merely a "that's a really daft suggestion you've just made" card :)

edited to add:
    Anyone from out of state should be held in custody until they either produce verifiable insurance or they lodge a cash bond that is sufficiant to pay for the damages to Irish cars..

Maybe that should apply equally to all drivers, out of state or not. I'd even dare say that the proportion of IRISH drivers who are uninsured is far greater than that of drivers from outside the State...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't give a toss about who or what is driving the car so long as I have some comeback if my car is damaged. I had to fork out €1,500 to get my car fixed when that northern tosser took the wing off.

Anyone who travels on the M1 can see that the nordies put the boot down when they come into the Republic. I've been doing 120km on that road and I've been left standing when one of those eejits blasts by me. This applies to all ages from the north and not just the boy racers.

Anyone from out of state should be held in custody until they either produce verifiable insurance or they lodge a cash bond that is sufficiant to pay for the damages to Irish cars.

Until then, God help anyone hit by these morons who can drive with impunity in the Republic.

It works both ways Dave - many ROI vehicles speed in NI.

Material damage is relatively minor compared to personal injury. I think I would be a lot more concerned about being killed, braindamaged or ending up in a wheel-chair as a result of an accident. Cars can easily be repaired/replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

as for the investigation into this you do have a comeback. contact the guard in question he shud try and track this lad down and exhaust that possibility. that has to be done first before the Motor insurance bureau of northern ireland (england?) can be contacted for compensation. the MIB is in charge of cars for their own country. the fact its a NI car its their bureau not the irish one youd be in contact with

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

It wasn't bringing up a "potential racist" card, merely a "that's a really daft suggestion you've just made" card :)

edited to add:

Maybe that should apply equally to all drivers, out of state or not. I'd even dare say that the proportion of IRISH drivers who are uninsured is far greater than that of drivers from outside the State...

Take a drive on the M1 buddy, I do it every day in and out to work in a MKV GTI and get smoked by Nordies in 87 Hiaces and Opel Omegas. Embarassing.

Advertisement