Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarms going off and the gardaí

Options
  • 28-06-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

On the way into work this morning i got a phone call from the company who monitor my home alarm system. They told me that my alarm was going off. Anyway as it would take me about an hour to get back home i asked if they could contact the gardai to ask them to check it out whilst i was getting home. ( i was sure it was pobably kids throwing stones at the sitting room window cos i had caught them doing that before but i wanted to be sure)

They told me that a guard wont call out to the house unless there is a key holder present.. When i asked what the point in having an alarm was if the gardai were not going to check it out i was told that it was a new rule the gardai brought in about 6 months ago and that i should have been written to to inform me of this.

Im wondering if anybody here knows if this is a countywide thing or just in my area (D15)?? i know the last time the alarm went off (about 18 months back) the gardai drove over to the house to make sure everything was ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Well I did hear that the Gardai were bringing in a system where they would not respond to house alarms unless could verify there was a breakin (i.e. camera system, or someone in the house).

Personally unsure the whole point of buying alarm - first thing majority of people do when hear alarm go off is curse the householder for having alarm, and wait for them to get back to turn it off, it's such a regular occurance I don't think anybody bothers checking the house, on the off-chance the alarm was behaving correctly.

Advertisement