Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car - Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Volkswagen Golf 1.4 sportline or comfortline....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

my wifes 02 punto, its blue 33000mls and well within budget and on the ads site to have a look at. but it depends what he needs it for there are lots of dif types out their.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can't go far wrong with the Octavia. Plenty of choice of other 1.4 petrol cars, but most are not as good value for money as the Octavia

Does he need that size car though? He might consider a cheap, older 1.0 supermini for now. It'll cost less to buy and run, so he can save money to buy a nicer motor in a year or two when he's hopefully built some decent NCB, bringing down insurance substantially
    steve06 wrote:
    Volkswagen Golf 1.4 sportline or comfortline....

That's the same as the Octavia only smaller and a lot more expensive to buy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks for the replies. He's moving from a golf that's packed it in on him atm. Want's something bigger than a supermini as he goes to college in Limerick and comes home every weekend. The Skoda is what I reccomended, he's looking at one of those MG hatchbacks now aswell. Wants to get something less average then ford focus and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

please no not another mg on the rd. they realy (ont be offended) suck
    to drive for a short trip let alone more than 1hr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

A 1.4 Seat Leon...

With a set of alloys & nice colour it would be a really stylish motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup basically the same thing as the Octavia, only image not so budget and interior slightly better

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

welcome to the new Ireland, when I was 19 I had a bike and I got the bus home from college and 10grand wasn't a budget it was a lottery win.

Octavia sounds spot on. Perhaps a 1.4 Focus would be more entertainingto drive though obviouslynot as big and you'll get a newer car too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm 19 to and I cycle everywhere. The car is the second family car but it's given to the oldest male primarily since he lives the furthest away. No-one in the family likes or has a clue about cars, hence them letting him choose and him letting me choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

welcome to the new Ireland, when I was 19 I had a bike and I got the bus home from college and 10grand wasn't a budget it was a lottery win.

Depends where you live I suppose. When I was 19 I needed a car to get to college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Simona1986 wrote:
    For a friend - 19 year old male. Has to be a 1.4L or less with a budget of 10k max. Anything considered. Thinking about a Skoda Octavia like:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=420129 or
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=438811 any other suggestions?

While I usually recommend the Octavia as they represent good value for money so I thought I would buck the trend this time, how about a Fiat Stilo as an alternative? They are alot of car for very little money imo and are not as bad as their reputation suggests:

Here are a few and they are 1.2 litre which is as lively if not more as the 1.4 litre VAG found in the Golf/Octavia/Leon. Also cheaper for a 19 year to tax, insure and fill up:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=420960
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=399607
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=450180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Ford Focus or a Honda Civic.

maidhc wrote:
    Depends where you live I suppose. When I was 19 I needed a car to get to college!

I'm guessing you're a bit younger than green-blood or myself ;)

As a 19 year old in college, I hitch-hiked long distances and cycled shorter distances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    I'm guessing you're a bit younger than green-blood or myself ;)

You would be guessing right I'd say! :)

I cycled the 2 1/2 miles to school though!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

I'm 19 to and I cycle everywhere. The car is the second family car but it's given to the oldest male primarily since he lives the furthest away. No-one in the family likes or has a clue about cars, hence them letting him choose and him letting me choose!

and you letting us choose....... :-)

Thats a different question then... he's not even going to be the main insured driver so that changes the scenario big time. Octavia still a great buy or the Focus.

When I was 19 and in college my parents gave me 20 quid at the start of term for supplies not a car.... as I said, welcome to the new Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭conor_mc

When I was 19 and in college my parents gave me 20 quid at the start of term for supplies ....

...which you duly spent on alcohol, no doubt! :D

conor_mc wrote:
    ...which you duly spent on alcohol, no doubt! :D

Some things never change :D

Advertisement