Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Book Club

Options
  • 28-06-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hold a book club once a month in Cork. It usually takes place in a wine bar where we can have either a nice glass of wine or a cup of coffee, review our book of the month and then have a nice chat about god only knows what! It's taking place on the 6th July and the book this month is Amongst Women by John McGahern. BTW I'm only starting to read this book tonight so it's not too late! Anyone interested send me a pm and I'll fill you in on the details.

Age group is fairly mixed by the way!

Deer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Next one on 3rd August. Again pm me if interested!

Deer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What's this month's book?

I don't know. We're fighting about it. More than likely we need to talk about Kevin. We made the mistake last week of not settling it on the night. I'll know tomorrow:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

oh god, i started that and i couldnt stick it out, got about a third through it and gave up.

Your more than welcome to come anyway. No doubt you won't be the only one! We talk about the books we like too and make recommendations and have a bit of fun as well - even if the people sitting around us think we're the biggest bunch of nerds!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

I would love to join your book club too- which book will we be discussing?

iPink wrote:
    I would love to join your book club too- which book will we be discussing?

PM'd ya!

Great thanks, sent you my email!

Okay:

Bookclub is on 3rd August in Wine Bar in Washington Street at 8.30pm and the book is Princess Bride by William Goldman:D

Deer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Deer wrote:
    Okay:

Bookclub is on 3rd August in Wine Bar in Washington Street at 8.30pm and the book is Princess Bride by William Goldman:D

Deer

One of my favourite books ever! Even better than the film (and thats hard to do imho)

dammit! for the first (and probably only) time I actually feel sorry that I dont live in Cork..... :p

Glad to see such a good response to your book club Deer. hmmm, now if only someone would start on in a civilised part of the country...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'll probable give it a go in September as stuck on a dig in roscommon for 3 weeks. you could try state of the nation by douglas kennedy. i'm half ways through and its fierce interesting indeed!!!

/me tkaes a deep breath

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg i love that book!!! i may drop by to tell everyone else how wonderful it is!

Wow - this is great - I'm delighted to see so much interest! Glad I thought it up last Christmas as it's totally worthwhile and a great social outlet!!

Just bumping this up as a reminder. Book club on Thursday night at wine bar at top of Washington Street - opposite Square Deal. Princess Bride is book (I haven't even had a chance to read it so will have serious swotting to do for week)!

Hi Deer,

What time are we meeting at?

Loving re-reading the book!!!

About 8.30. I'll send an email out anyway in a while...

ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Protea

hello hello hello!
    Is there room for another? I'd love to join you.

Whats the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Same question!
    If there's room for one more, I might join in September or October.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'm back from my dig and available form Sept, let me know what the book is for that month and the date. cheers!

• Advertisement

Hi guys - it's on Thursday 14th September, the book is the Boy in Striped Pyjamas, the time 8.30, the venue to ascertained but I'd personally like it in Meades Wine Bar in Oliver Plunkett Street as the nibbles look good there and pm me anyway and I'll give you my email address. And everyone is welcome!:D

Club is on in Meades Wine Bar next Thursday - see you all there!

Hi Guys!

The book club for October is on the 19th October at Meades Wine Bar in Oliver Plunkett Street. There are two books to chose from this time - In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan. You can either read both or on or the other. If interested pm me. I might be a while in replying as I don't have a lot of access to a computer these days :( but hope to be up and running again soon!

Dawn

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So when's the next one? I missed the october one due to poxy flu...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HMC

I would love to come along to this book club. Will encourage me to read more. :) Any news on dates/venue in November? and what's the book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orange blossom

Hi there, My friend and I are looking for a book club to join and we wondered if you are still meeting? If so, whether you would have room for us both, and where, when you meet, what book you are reading at the moment etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s01467

hi,can i join this book club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Hi all!
    Is this club still on? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cork17

The Paws wrote:
    Hi all!
    Is this club still on? :o

Same question here - would love to join!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chaton2007

Just like to know if you are running a book club meeting in November and are you still looking for members?

Advertisement