Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illustrated Books, for Children and Adults

Options
  • 28-06-2006 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

'and what is the use of a book', thought Alice 'without pictures or conversation?'

What is your favourite illustrated book?

I like books that have illustrations.

Do you have favourites to share, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This illustration was made to entertain children and will, in time, have text added:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The Castle of Crossed Destinies is one that springs to mind - it's a good mix of text and images (tarot cards to be specific). It's not my favourite Calvino book, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Anouilh wrote:
    'and what is the use of a book', thought Alice 'without pictures or conversation?'

What is your favourite illustrated book?

I like books that have illustrations.

Do you have favourites to share, please?

Good question.

I like Lada's illustrations for "The Good Soldier Švejk"

For children, my favourite is "Goodnight Moon".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have an illustrated copy of 1984 by Orwell to celebrate the 50th aniversary of the book. It's beautiful, special typesetting for different parts of the book and hidden messages in clear ink and stuff like that. Stunning really.

"The Beach" by Alex Garland has striking illustrations, some by the author, that have the strong effect of woodblock printing. The author's father, Nicholas Garland, has illustrated "The Tesseract".

• Advertisement

utopian wrote:
    Good question.

I like Lada's illustrations for "The Good Soldier Švejk"

For children, my favourite is "Goodnight Moon".

There are some good links to The Good Soldier Švejk and it's history in another website. Is it OK to post a live link to it here, please?

Melissa Iwai is a name worth looking for. Her illustrations, expecially in Alphabet
    books, are very easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

My favourite is Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak but I bought my nephew The Voyage of the Titanic by Duncan Crosbie (Gill & Macmillan) for his 7th birthday. It is a beautiful book and it was a huge hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Anouilh wrote:
    There are some good links to The Good Soldier Švejk and it's history in another website. Is it OK to post a live link to it here, please?
    Of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

An illustrated copy of fantastic mr. fox by Roald Dahl, always evokes pleasant memories from childhood.

• Advertisement

Children in the 1980's were reared on pastiches of the old fairy tales.
    May account for their vivid imaginations, now being expressed in Anime and Manga sites?

http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=7428

Advertisement