Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres and Punctures

• 28-06-2006 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have had 3 punctures in 3 weeks compared to none for the whole of last year.
    How often should I change my tyres ? I am cycling about 40kms a day 3-4 days a week. So was thinking the tyres look a bit worn. But am not an expert and this could be a reason for the punctures ?

Also does anyone know if that gel stuff you put in your tyre between the tube actually works to help prevent punctures?

By the way I cycle across some bad roads for a few kms between the back of Blanchardstown and Kilshane cross and thinking this might also be a factor ?

Is there a type of tyre that would be good for this type of journey ?

TIA,
    Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Hey,

What kind of wheels are you riding on? Is it a mountain-type bike or a road bike?

I ride on 700x28 tyres, kind of semi-fat road tyres, and use Specialized Armadillos to great effect. Not bullet-proof but i don't get half as many punctures as I used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

ciaran76 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have had 3 punctures in 3 weeks compared to none for the whole of last year.
    How often should I change my tyres ? I am cycling about 40kms a day 3-4 days a week. So was thinking the tyres look a bit worn. But am not an expert and this could be a reason for the punctures ?

Also does anyone know if that gel stuff you put in your tyre between the tube actually works to help prevent punctures?

By the way I cycle across some bad roads for a few kms between the back of Blanchardstown and Kilshane cross and thinking this might also be a factor ?

Is there a type of tyre that would be good for this type of journey ?

TIA,
    Ciaran
    I never tried the gel stuff but I've had good luck with both Specialized Armadillo and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, been using these exclusively over the past 3 years over good and bad roads and tracks and had only one puncture. They both have a very thick and stiff linings that prevent thorns and glass from reaching your tubes, I sometimes pull bits of glass etc out of them so they are doing the job alright. Any good bike shop should either stock these or be able to order them, they should be around E30-35 each but well worth it IMO.
    Another major cause of punctures on bumpy roads is when your tyre gets squashed onto the rim by a sharp edge like a kerb or a pothole. This causes the tube to get pinched and even punctured - the best prevention for these is to keep the tyres up to the max recommender pressure , check them every week and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Are you sure it's 3 seperate ones? Certainly possible, and plain bad luck.

Check and make sure there's no wire on the inside of the tyre which could be doing the damage, also check the tape around the inside centre of the rim - it protects the tub from the spokes. In fact, completely detact wheel, tyre and tub, and run your fingers lightly over the touching surfaces of them - it's a strong possibility there's something sharp causing you trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Trojan wrote:
    Are you sure it's 3 seperate ones? Certainly possible, and plain bad luck.

Check and make sure there's no wire on the inside of the tyre which could be doing the damage, also check the tape around the inside centre of the rim - it protects the tub from the spokes. In fact, completely detact wheel, tyre and tub, and run your fingers lightly over the touching surfaces of them - it's a strong possibility there's something sharp causing you trouble.

Yeah it was 3 seperate ones. The one on Monday was in the front tyre and a piece of glass actually sliced a nice hole through the tyre and the tube. It was clear glass so mustn't have seen it.

The other 2 were on the back wheel which I think possibly could have been the same piece of glass but not 100% sure. But I think I need 2 new tyres as they are starting to look worn.

beans wrote:
    Hey,

What kind of wheels are you riding on? Is it a mountain-type bike or a road bike?

I ride on 700x28 tyres, kind of semi-fat road tyres, and use Specialized Armadillos to great effect. Not bullet-proof but i don't get half as many punctures as I used to

Just a standard mountain bike. I will look into the Armadillos tyres as I see its been mentioned by 2 posters now so will go look for them on Sat.

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I went through a period of multiple punctures in a relatively short time. I changed to Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 tyres and things have been infinitely better. I have gotten 3 punctures in 2 years but have been things that would probably puncture car tyres. The tyres are also fast.

If this tyre is too narrow for you (no such thing in my book ;) ) there is also a Travel Contact or City Contact variations. All have the Safety System puncture protection.

/me hopes this forum is not tired of my repeated praise of these tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Daymobrew, if they get annoyed with you they are also going to get annoyed with me....

I have been using the Schwalbe City Jets since February, commute over 100k per week and I have had no problems with them. They are cheaper than the Specialized and Conti options too.

When you are looking at tyres, try and get slicks as these are much quicker (less rolling resistance) and also are grippier too!

R

daymobrew wrote:
    I went through a period of multiple punctures in a relatively short time. I changed to Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 tyres and things have been infinitely better. I have gotten 3 punctures in 2 years but have been things that would probably puncture car tyres. The tyres are also fast.

If this tyre is too narrow for you (no such thing in my book ;) ) there is also a Travel Contact or City Contact variations. All have the Safety System puncture protection.

/me hopes this forum is not tired of my repeated praise of these tyres.

I see you are in Dublin 15. Is there any where in Dublin 15 you can get these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ciaran76 wrote:
    I see you are in Dublin 15. Is there any where in Dublin 15 you can get these?
    Try Halfords in the Blanch Centre. I think I saw at least one of the 'Contact' types there.
    I bought mine from Cyclelogical on Bachelors Walk. Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght have them. According to the Continental web page you are supposed to get an inner tube with them - it's part of the 'Safety System' guarantee. Be sure to get the tube (I had to 'remind' the shop!).

If you buy a pair it should get free shipping from Cycle SuperStore ( > e50). Their site is closed today and tomorrow (though you can phone in an order). BikeDock charge £2 shipping.

I plan to replace my worn back tyre when the weather gets wet again (Sept?). I'll order the version with a reflective sidewall. Might look crap but will be useful in the winter nights.

Advertisement