Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

(Another) Alloy Wheel Offset Question

Options
  • 28-06-2006 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a set of original Alloys from a Mk5 Golf.

The offset on the Golf is 42 to 50.

Offset on my 02 Passat is 35 to 45.

Are the original alloys usually at the centre of the offest range?

i.e. is the original offset 46 for the Golf but they give you 4 mm/cm of play either side.

If this is the case then the original Golf wheels would be Offset 46 and thus outside the range acceptable for my Passat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The offset is the distance of the mounting face from the centre of the rim in mm, so is relative to the size (width) of the wheel.

So a 6" wheel with an offset of 34 will look the same as a 7" with an offset of 46, because the extra inch will be towards the centre of the car.

Does this make any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Jaysus this wheel & tyre business is complicated.

If you look at the fitment guide on http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk it has the same offset value listed against each of the wheels 15" to 19". I also read (can't remember where) that there is 5mm or so play either side in what ET you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You need to compare the wheels with the width taken into consideration, offsets on their own mean nothing I'm afraid,
    if the widths are the same then try to stay within the original range, an ET42 wheel would fit well.

Advertisement