Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does power corrupt everyone in the end

Options
  • 28-06-2006 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

It could be argued that power corrupts everyone in the end, that those in power end up losing their principles and free will, and power becomes a means to an end and that end is making money and making yourself and your friends rich.

I see little difference between the current government and the height of the Haughey era, in fact its probably worse now. When you see how many tax evaders are on the go now, and the fact that the biggest earners pay proportionally miniscule tax, it makes you think if this government really is any better than Haughey's. At least Haughey had some scruples about helping the old age, the sick and the poor. And he did admit his mistakes in the end rather than run away from them or blame others which is what the current government always does.

At the end of the day, as the saying goes, the buck stops here, and with the government in this case. And I think that unless you are a builder friend of FF, you'd agree that this government has let this country slip badly, in terms of public services, crime, justice, housing availability and poverty reduction.

And I also think that no power does not corrupt everyone in the end, but more often corrupt people corrupt power for their own ends.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

The above is close to cynicism.

The alternative to democracy is not pleasant.

The Haughey clique was particularly unscrupulous but not very different to "mainstream" FF who are elected to deliver the kind of Ireland their supporters (both financial and ordinary voters) want.

There are all kinds of weird and wonderful alternatives on the ballot paper from Greens to Gun-runners. However, there are sensible, thoughful people there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

gbh wrote:
    It could be argued that power corrupts everyone in the end,

I'm trying to figure out how power corrupted Mahatma Gandhi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭Archeron

bonkey wrote:
    I'm trying to figure out how power corrupted Mahatma Gandhi.

I was gonna suggest His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 johnthesavage

gbh wrote:
    And I also think that no power does not corrupt everyone in the end, but more often corrupt people corrupt power for their own ends.
    True, the more corrupt and unscrupulous a person is the easier they will climb the greasy pole. Power corrupts and corruption empowers, but neither can be said to be true of everyone.

Advertisement