Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real world

Options
  • 28-06-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Right I'm throwing this in here because I know a few people here have finished college this year and I'm interested in finding out what you plan to do next in....the real world! The 2 choices seem to be either a) getting a real-world job, or b) taking a year off travelling around the world with mates and then getting a real-world job. I chose option a, not because I wanted to, but because I kinda felt I had to...and I was offered a good job. Still though, what are the rest of ya planning to do next year, or when you finish college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

well i did everything backwards and had a real job well before i went to college and boy can I tell you It was crap. Early mornings, office politics ect ect it took its toll. I never plan on leaving college. They will have to have services pull me out of the library by my feet while and clutch at anything sturdy enough to hold me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I fear the real world..
    Though by the time I graduate I'll have been in UCD for 6 years, so I think a change of scenery would be well warranted! There's only so much grey one can handle!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There's only so much grey one can handle!

Tell that to the people who trundle to their city center office blocks at 8am ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I spent twenty years in the real world. It was like the parsons egg I suppose but I must say I have really enjoyed the past three years in UCD. I have applied for the MA and hope to get it... I wanna be a student for the rest of my life!!* It was great having a whole new crop of people to corrupt and shock!! YEAH!!! Old people talk about sex'n'drugs and sausage rolls too!!!

*Which won't be too long if I stay a student :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oh real world bad bad bad! The real world should be about doing nothing, being lazy and getting paid to do nothing! 7 weeks into my summer job and I'm going ****ing insane, getting up at 7am, stapling stuff, lifting boxes, doing ****ty jobs for your managers and directors without a thanks...... and I've got a decnt job compared to other students! I'll never survive this selfish money obsessed capitalist real world..... long live the lazy life of a student! :)

Blondie - Do take a year out and see the sights of our world, you'll regret not doing it after 2 weeks in a full time job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well after 10 years in UCD (Almost a record I think), I'm entering the real world in Sept. (Have job sorted)

Looking forward to starting work. Change of scene, new challenges, new people, etc. And most importantly money!

I'd like to see the world, but don't think now is the time to do it. Maybe when I have some money earned I'll take an extended break to the far east and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I have a stupid job. It's more stupid than my other stupid jobs, which were pretty stupid. I have to be in town at 7.30 every morning, which means getting up at 6, unless it's a sunday when taking a taxi means I get to lie in until 6.45! (Such a luxury, and I mean it.) My knees and back are in complete and utter bits, I got home after 10 last night and it was almost 8 tonight because of that STUPID BLOODY TAKE THAT CONCERT!

Take some travel time Blondie, you'll regret it when you're mid-life-crisising. I plan on maybe heading to Dubai after the MA (if I get it, which is looking more doubtful by the day, considering the combination of exams and crap application!) but definitely something different is a must.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

planning to do PhD in UCD, four more years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Another year of college!
    I love 4 year courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Everyone seems to agree that travelling is the way to go, and I know that I won't be able to settle down until I see the world...but the reason, well one of the main reasons that I took the job is that it involves 70% travel! I think its a nice compromise between the two :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well I've done my year away already but definitely want to do more travelling.

At the moment I'm not working. I have applied for two jobs within the area that I *really* want to get into career-wise. Both are currently shortlisting and holding interviews in early July so hopefully I'll get an interview. I want to wait and see what happens there before applying for generic office jobs.

Also, by that stage I'll know if I have to repeat my final year (I know I keep banging on about it but, trust me, it's a very real possibility).

Wait and see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

3 more years of college, then 2 years of work, then 2 years of work/part-time college, then (maybe) Australia/NZ for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

dajaffa wrote:
    3 more years of college, then 2 years of work, then 2 years of work/part-time college, then (maybe) Australia/NZ for a year.

You've practically your life planned out!

I'm goin into 3rd year, so 2 more years to go. I don't have a clue what I wanna do...probably a post grad but probably not in UCD....I guess we'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Going to work once i qualify - have to have three years work experience before I can do my masters, i'm considering one in radiography which i could do straight off the bat but I don't know if i really want to.

I've done a lot of travelling in my more formative years so don't really want to go down that road apart from a trip to canada and maybe china.

One thing I do want to do though it go and volunteer in africa for six months or so, although have to do it before I'm 24 as i'm starting my pension then, people thing tax relief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

I finished my degree a few weeks ago and went straight into a 'real-world' type job in IBM. Its really not that scary. There's still the drinking, joking etc... only you cant wake up at 8am like in college and say f*ck it, Ill skip work this morning and get some more sleep. On the plus side though, I have money, some potential patents to be filed ($$$), and a free week in the South of France in september. I'd recommend to anyone going into 4th Computer Science next Semester to keep their eyes on IBM's extreme blue program. If you havent allready got involved in some open source coding or other such like, it will stand to you when you start applying for jobs like this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

In the (extremely unlikely) event that I've passed the finals, I'm gonna work for an NGO for a year. Which in essence means 6 months in their HQ (in Woking. Fancy.:rolleyes: ) and then 6 months wherever they send me. Which could be anywhere from Latin America to South-East Asia. Suits me fine. Just as long as it's not Ireland.

After that, do the Civil Service exams and live in a cubicle for the rest of my working life.

God why don't I just shoot myself now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I plan to be gone next year.
    ATM, am planning to do a professional qualification in tax and maybe also in accounting. There's rich pickings to be had in that industry.
    I'm working at a desk for the summer and I like it. Really looking forward to leaving college and making some proper money.

Advertisement