Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you DIY and to what level?

Options
  • 28-06-2006 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I spent much of today removing skin from my fingers as I grappled with a couple of aux belts and a cam cover gasket change, they feel raw and have nice disposits of ancient oil under the nails.

I do it cos my labour is very cheap and part of me enjoys the manly masochism of it all! :D The only pity is I don't have the space or equipment to do larger jobs which require lifting gear.

What level of DIY do you work at or are you someone who's happy to leave it to a professional?

Mike.

Do you DIY and to what level? 56 votes

I leave it to someone else (car under warranty)
    0% 0 votes
    I leave it to someone else - no interest/talent for it!
    5% 3 votes
    I do occasional simple jobs
    10% 6 votes
    I do regular basic servicing
    28% 16 votes
    I do basic service and intermediate work (gaskets, belts etc)
    25% 14 votes
    I know my stuff and have the gear to do heavy work
    30% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Pretty much everything - did a complete timing belt & accessory belt change recently on mine.

I only leave the stuff that's "expensive if you make a mess of it" to the "professionals", i.e. someone I can shout at / sue if it doesn't go well! :D

Helps having the MX5 Ireland club, no matter what job you need doing, soemone will have tried it before (either successfully or not)

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The most i can do to my car is change a tyre, fill the water tank and check and fill the oil.
    Pretty much a step up from a girl :D
    Haven't a clue about the internal working of a car. Safer to let a professional sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

In cars the basics (e.g. service, brakes and so forth). I have never done a timing belt, but might do sometime. They scare me a bit, especially the newer cars.

On the older farm machinery I do everything short of ripping up the engine. I have replaced clutches, gearboxes, cabs, wiring, bearings of various descriptions etc. I get an immense kick out of keeping elderly machines in working condition, and they aren't worth the cost of professional labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

mmenarry wrote:
    Pretty much everything - did a complete timing belt & accessory belt change recently on mine.

I only leave the stuff that's "expensive if you make a mess of it" to the "professionals", i.e. someone I can shout at / sue if it doesn't go well! :D

Helps having the MX5 Ireland club, no matter what job you need doing, soemone will have tried it before (either successfully or not)

Where do you do such work? Do you have a pit in your garage?

I live in an apartment in Dublin with a gated car park. I do put the car up on jackstands for various maintenance tasks and mods (chassis bracing recently for example). But my neighbours would go mental if I had the car up on jackstands overnight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I've changed bulbs, wipers and topped up fluids, not alot else mainly for fear or breaking something rather than laziness. I think I could easily manage an oil and plug change but would be a little hesitant going near the brakes for safety reasons.

Are modern cars more easier to service that older models for the DIY mechanic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Are modern cars more easier to service that older models for the DIY mechanic?

They are more difficult than older models due to miniaturisation and the use of computer technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harder! So much is now in the realms of computer software and fault codes!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

For a typcial service for a modernish car would computer hookup and diaganostics check be necessary or only helpful if there's a problem?

Diagnostics are for fuel injection/electrical/ECU issues but it does mean
    the days of stripping/rebuliding are largely over as the parts in question are sealed or so fiddly small they are nearly impossible to work on. If it breaks, replace it is the new mantra!

Mike.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Where do you do such work? Do you have a pit in your garage?

I live in an apartment in Dublin with a gated car park. I do put the car up on jackstands for various maintenance tasks and mods (chassis bracing recently for example). But my neighbours would go mental if I had the car up on jackstands overnight...

I too live in an apartment in Dublin. No pit, so some stuff is awkward (but 4 good quality axle stands greatly improve this).

Stuff I've done:
    Changed roofs
    Timing Belt
    Accessory belts
    Changed radiator
    "Normal" servicing - oil, filters, plugs
    Changed body panels
    Replaced the cat with a nice shiny pipe
    Replaced exhaust
    Various electrical stuff
    Fitted style bars
    Replaced door seals / weatherstrips
    Changed brake pads / discs / bled & changed fluid
    Replaced fuel filters (the worst job by far, right underneath the centre of the car)
    Changed head units / speakers
    Replaced bulbs / headlamps / rear lamps
    Fitted front splitters
    Fitted handsfree kit
    Changed seatbelt warning buzzer to "lights on" buzzer
    Fixed locks / handles
    Changed gearbox oil / LSD oil
    Changed batteries
    Replaced aerials
    Fitted chassis / shock tower braces

Obviously, not all of that was to my own car :D

Only thing that really needs a pit is clutch/gearbox work. Those two are sufficiently expensive when they go wrong to give the job to someone else. Saved a fortune in garage bills over the last few years (although this is offset slightly by a big bag of tools!)

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I draw the line at brakes, will have a go at anything else. company car means free services now though

Slightly off-topic I know, but:
    mike65 wrote:
    Diagnostics are for fuel injection/electrical/ECU issues but it does mean
    the days of stripping/rebuliding are largely over as the parts in question are sealed or so fiddly small they are nearly impossible to work on. If it breaks, replace it is the new mantra!

Mike.

I my experience Mike, it's got much worse than that.
    Current dealers seem to do the following:
    1. Connect car to diagnostics
    2. Replace whatever part is giving a "fault"

No actual "diagnostics" at all. For example, a mate recently had trobule with the car running rich/misfiring. Many trips to the garage, and they never found the one part that had an intermittent fault (turned out to be one of the coil units).

The garage would have happily kept replacing the O2 sensor and CAT until the cows came home. On-board diagnostics do not tell you what part is at the root of the trouble, just the bits that are suffering because of it.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm a mechanics nightmare :D

I have fairly good knowledge on how things should work, look, sound and smell if and when they were done properly.
    But I only do the very basics myself anymore ...tyres, water, bulbs, wiggle a few cables, that kind of thing.
    Used to do pretty much everything on my Renault 4 ...but that was a very simple car and Daddy had a well equipped garage.

Now I only have the driveway and few tools ...works out cheaper for me to let a mechanic do it (because getting the half stripped car to a mechanics to finish off my botch job isn't really an option pricewise :D:D:D )

But I still know enough to tell straight away when a garage wants to pull a fast one.

The garage would have happily kept replacing the O2 sensor and CAT until the cows came home

Garages have always expolited the innocent/ignorant, that why owners clubs/message boards are so valuable. Someone else will already have had your woes and figured it out!

Mike.

Not all garages are con jobs.

Not all naturally.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I do basic servicing myself. I don't particularly like doing spark plugs as I have a fear of cross threading one, dropping something down the hole etc. Other stuff I've done is work on the cooling system (flush, replaced a radiator and a themostat) replaced gearbox oil, changed a battery. I've treated some body rust with POR-15 products, the rust treatment went very well but i didn't get a good final finish after topcoating. I think bodywork and spraying is something that really needs a lot of training/practice.

Also I have watched my mate change ball joints, wheel bearings, brake shoes, timing belts and water pumps. But I wouldn't take on these jobs myself due to lack of skill and lack of tools.

mike65 wrote:
    Garages have always expolited the innocent/ignorant, that why owners clubs/message boards are so valuable. Someone else will already have had your woes and figured it out!

Mike.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying (although I agree with you on many of them taking the pi$$).

These days they can't be bothered to find the fault. A car running rich will knacker the CAT & O2 sensor in jig time, but won't flag the diagnostics (usually). Garage won't take the time to find the fault, and just replace whatever's suffering as a result. Spend 5 minutes with the diagnostics computer, hand the part to the nearest 1st year apprentice and tell them to change it.

It's like if you ran out of petrol, they'd replace the tank to cure the problem (exaggeration I know, but I wouldn't put it past some dealers!)

M.

If a garage does take the time and find the fault, people complain about the size of the bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Generally do everything myself, except mount and balance tyres, alignment and Smog checks.
    And bodywork. no good at panel beating, painting roof liners and that sort of stuff.

Engine rebuilds, never needed, clutch/gearbox rebuilds accomplished, brakes and electrics, no problem.
    I rent heavy tools when necessary, or remove busings and bearings myself, but have a garage/workshop drive in the new ones, then attach the parts to the car myself.

How to remove a wheel bearing race with an arc welder.
    Remove all the bearing bits you can. Then run a bead of weld on the inside of the bearing race, this causes it to shrink and fall out, neat?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I can do everything myself, I even designed and built a hearse. I've rebuilt crashed cars and restored wrecks and everything in between,including upholstry and timberwork.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

in reference to the earlier quotes about modern garage and diagnostic equipment ; the vast majority of garages these days are sadly lacking in the most important of all diagnostic tools eg. experience !! the amount of badly repaired vehicles i see on a regular basis is crazy. one i came across was a recently serviced Punto which was drinking petrol. a small vacuum pipe from the throttle body was split and drawing air which was easily audible. the air entering the system was confusing the lambda sensor and making the car run rich to the extent that it blew clouds of black soot out of the exhaust when revved. i cut off the split end, refitted the pipe and hunky dory. it took 2 minutes. whin i ws serving my time all work was checked by the foreman and the vehicle had to be right or you got a right bollicking !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I do everything except welding, spraying and windscreen replacement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Prettymuch anything. I stayed away from cars for a long time, settling back in now.

Not a great welder, so I try and avoid that. Brakes, bearings, suspension, engine top and bottom end, clutch etc. The only thing I would say way from is the internals of a gearbox, tight tolerances and a lack to equipment to fix em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

A machine shop or a friend with a machine shop or metal cutting machines is a great asset. You can make tools out of other tools, Z shaped spanners for getting around valve stems, piping, other car parts...etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I do nearly all of it myself, it's the only way you know the work is getiing done. I do a lot of miles and service the car after 6k so I also save a lot of money, service only costs €35-40(parts). Which reminds me - must service the car at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I do everything myself, I have several scrapped cars dumped behind my house for spare parts and my neighbours hate me. I am currently rebuilding a Punto engine in my kitchen and spraying a motorbike in my shed. My wife hates me too.

I am an avid collector of other peoples junk and have nine sets of alloy wheels in my attic along with most of an X1/9 and the best bits of three Minis.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I do what I can on a driveway/carpark with limited tools. Oil (engine and gearbox), filters (oil, air and fuel), brakes (fluid, pads and flexible lines), auxilliary belts (a little afraid to try a cam belt on an interfernace engine), and I'm going to be doing some suspension bushings at the weekend to prep for the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thankfully I can do everything myself !

I removed,stripped and rebuilt engines, manual transmissions, power steering boxes, suspensions, brake calipers, basically anything that can be removed stripped and repaired I'll tackle !

I prefer working on older cars though, couldn't be bothered with modern stuff, I bowed out of the Motor trade in 1997 and usually get my CLK dealer serviced to keep the book stamped, though I did some gearbox seals recently and saved €200 !

I have done minor body repairs in the past but honestly I am not good at it so having stripped my '64 Merc down to a rolling shell, I have left the panelwork to the pro's. However I intend to buy the relevant bits to enable me to do some spraying and welding. Basically the 1960's fuel injection Mercs are complex, but I understand and love them, so I like fixing them properly !

This month I have repaired a '94 C-Class head gasket, water pump on my '68 280SE, serviced, greased the suspension plus some repairs to the transmission and the aforementioned fuel injection settings, and also set up a disused mechanical injector pump ! ;)

I have offered to do a head gasket on a Pontiac, though the car may be sold as is !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I do pretty much everything - or at least I used to. While I don't have all the heavy gear I do have access to it so if the engine in the wifes Bora needs to come out - I'll do it. I prefer my cosy office and the luxury of farming all the work out to the dealers around the country. But there is no way I'd pay any of them for work to my car when I'm capable of doing it myself.

Advertisement