Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you DIY and to what level?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I will go as far as rebuilding engines. Can strip and rebuild my race engines, but I leave most of the 'performance' machining to the engine builder. I have rebuilt gearboxes, and a 3.0 v6 mitsubishi gto engine. Love doing it, and with most big jappy cars I wouldnt trust a garage, so for peace of mind and price I do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Can do any mechanical work except that which requries removal of gearbox or engine. Have timing belt changes down to 2.5 hrs now.

Have been changing oil for umpteen years but still haven't mastered the knack of not spilling any - either it drips out of the old filter when it's removed, or when dribbling out of the sump, the wind will blow the drips everywhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

franksm wrote:
    Can do any mechanical work except that which requries removal of gearbox or engine. Have timing belt changes down to 2.5 hrs now.

Have been changing oil for umpteen years but still haven't mastered the knack of not spilling any - either it drips out of the old filter when it's removed, or when dribbling out of the sump, the wind will blow the drips everywhere :rolleyes:

I used have a nightmare with the oil filter on my last car, a primera. It was mounted at the rear of the block, really difficult to access and next to impossible to catch any spillage. The best cure was to leave the car sitting over night and gravity took care of any oil in the filter, taking it back down to the sump and the filter could be removed, virtually dry. I was a little concerned about the design which allowed the oil to drain, potentially backflushing some/much of the contamination back down to the sump however the existance of many of these engines with mega miles probably means nissan weren't as worried as me.
    My current car, an alfa 156, is a dream in comparrison, the oil filter isn't mounted on the block at all, it's mounted on a housing between the engine block and the radiator with the cannister tilted down so that any drips run down the canister and not around the engine and are easy to catch. It's the first time I've seen an oil filter mounted like this, i.e. not on the side of the block, maybe it's to do with cooling the oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

alias no.9 wrote:
    I used have a nightmare with the oil filter on my last car, a primera.

You should see the mondeo diesel. You have to go stripping to get at the fuel filter, and the wheel and a big splash panel must come off before you can do the oil and filter.

Fords also seems to have at least 10x as many tubes and wires in the engine bay as Toyotas, which are a dream to work on from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

everything.. engine change.. tb change.. rather do the work meself and know its done ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

everything.. engine change.. tb change.. rather do the work meself and know its done ;-)

Seems to be the general consensus from anyone who likes cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Have been changing oil for umpteen years but still haven't mastered the knack of not spilling any - either it drips out of the old filter when it's removed, or when dribbling out of the sump, the wind will blow the drips everywhere

.........well if its the driveway you are concerned about just place a large flatted box i.e a big piece of cardboard, underneath the oil drain tray and any splashes will land on the cardboard not the cobbles !!

Most of the modern Mercs are handy as they still use the cartridge type filter and you take it off from the top, not too far from the oil filler car, none spills !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm a medium mechanic, can do plugs, filters, brake pads and other bits and bobs, but I won't be whipping out the engine anytime soon, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most of the modern Mercs are handy as they still use the cartridge type filter and you take it off from the top, not too far from the oil filler car, none spills!!

Indeed a joy, once you actually got the bloody thing loosened (they forgot to provide much space to turn the wrench). That said the fuel filter was needlesly awkward under the body by the rear passenger wheel. On Audi A6 its located over the suspension turret rather too near the exhaust manifold! Easy to change,easy to turn into a ball of flame! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Some the more popular cars should be ok. I suppose the biggest help would be something like a Haynes manual- walk you through most things.

I find its the same as most things. People are afraid they will break it so dont try. But when they do try they realise how simple some things can be. It would be nice just to have a mess around with an old banger and she how it works - cant do any harm!

Recently just fixing a motorbike and seeing how easy things like jets on carbs - brake pads etc are to change opened my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm a bit like that. Would love to be able to give me car a service but terrified I'd make a complete mess of it and end up forking out a small fortune to a mechanic to fix.

However in saying that I'm not afraid to investigate and sometimes fix interior electrics, changing bulbs/fuses, basic stuff really when it comes down to it. So methinks I might start looking under the bonnet a bit more, got a haynes manual so might start reading up and see what I can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ford drivers should do a search around online for a copy of the TIS DVD. The last version came out in 2004 before they switched to an online system. You can print out step-by-step instructions to do most stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Indeed a joy, once you actually got the bloody thing loosened (they forgot to provide much space to turn the wrench).

.........but there is a stool avaialble at dealers, motor factors and most tool shops for about €10 which grips it easily. Thats what I use, it takes 10 seconds !

Haynes are better than nothing, but by no means gospel, they normally take you the long way 'round !

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

MercMad wrote:
    ......Haynes are better than nothing, but by no means
    gospel, they normally take you the long way 'round !

But for a beginner isnt the long way round the best? at least that way you actually know what you are doing and probably learn/understand more than a quick - "just do it this way because it works" method.

After a few times then the short cuts kick in!!!

Advertisement