Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transferring Insurance Mid-Year

Options
  • 28-06-2006 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just passed my driving test this afternoon :D , so I called Quinn and they've reduced the premium accordingly. But, out of curiosity, I checked the FBD site and they'll give it to me for 200 quid less.

Is it possible to change insurer mid-year (I'm currently paying monthly by direct debit) and is there any cost penalties in doing so? I figured I'd confirm FBD's online quote and then see if Quinn will match it.

Second thing is that I'll be sending off for the full license immediately, but do I have to wait till I get it back before being able to use motorways?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

See if Quinn will match it.

If you leave Quinn now, you'll lose half a years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

commited wrote:
    See if Quinn will match it.

If you leave Quinn now, you'll lose half a years NCB.
    Forgot about the NCB (not transferable?).. it's only 2 months though in this case (renewal was in April) so might be worth it if they won't match it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Depends on what % of your premium is. I dunno if I'd be bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tbh, unless you have 5 years + ncb leaving mid year is pointless as you will loose part of a years ncb.

Well I'd only be losing 2 months really as the renewal was in April.

Anyway, rang FBD and confirmed the price. It also includes windscreen cover, accidental damage to my car, roadside assistance and immediate NCB protection

So rang Quinn back. They won't match it as the policy is already in effect. Also, I don't get the roadside assistance and their NCB protection requires you to have 5 years first.

So, would I be mad NOT to move as, as well as being over €200 cheaper, I seem to be getting offered more if I switch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok then in your case it would be wise to change now. Quinn are really best avoided if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Bond-007 wrote:
    Ok then in your case it would be wise to change now. Quinn are really best avoided if at all possible.
    Seconded. As long as you have proof of your NCB and a ref number for the quote from FBD. Can't be too careful after hearing all the stories on here.

I don't know if there is some kind of penalty for cancelling insurance, some kind of administration fee maybe? If it ends up only saving you a tenner I'd say leave Quinn for the extra benefits and (I assume) better service you will get.

cargrouch wrote:
    Seconded. As long as you have proof of your NCB and a ref number for the quote from FBD. Can't be too careful after hearing all the stories on here.

I don't know if there is some kind of penalty for cancelling insurance, some kind of administration fee maybe? If it ends up only saving you a tenner I'd say leave Quinn for the extra benefits and (I assume) better service you will get.
    Its 50 quid to cancel with Quinn. FBD say they allow 20/30 days for proof of NCB.

I think I'll call them up tomorrow so and get the ball rolling...

Advertisement