Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet: Worth it

Options
  • 28-06-2006 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering switching over to Magnet. Their entertainment pack for TV, Phone and more importantly, 8 meg broadband with 150gig limit is enticing.

I'm not too pushed about the TV as I don't watch much TV, or the phone as I have a company phone, but is their broadband any good? My line is suitable for it, and I'm in the Limerick area, so if anyone has any stories or recommendations (good and bad), I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im still waiting on it here in Caherdavin but when its
    here il grab it. 8mb dl 512k ul is ok with me plus its really
    cheap. But i cant say if its good or not but my guess is
    go for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you just want BB it should be fine (but you mighn't get the speed due to the quality of your line).

The TV service isn't very good and it will use your internet bandwidth.

BTW the price on the Magnet site doesn't include the €25 line rental you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

magnet have serious contention problems

the download rate can just plummet to zero and then pick back up, if you are on the phone when this happens the phone call is cut mid sentance

their tv service is a non existant joke. Their engineers were at my house and said they dont know why magnet are advertising the tv since they havent been able to get it to work anywhere

the phone line cuts out in mid call all the time

phoning a landline gives you a message - we cant connect you because we cant connect to your correspondant. When you try calling the same number from a different phone system it works fine

magnets service just isnt working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

in my opinion no... I waited in Lucan last year cancelled my BT connection to wait 2 months before deciding to join BT again. The cust service folk are a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Have never had Magnet but their internet service offers look good price/speed/uncontended. Just one question though - can you use p2p with them as I have heard you can't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

chrislad wrote:
    I'm seriously considering switching over to Magnet. Their entertainment pack for TV, Phone and more importantly, 8 meg broadband with 150gig limit is enticing.

I'm not too pushed about the TV as I don't watch much TV, or the phone as I have a company phone, but is their broadband any good? My line is suitable for it, and I'm in the Limerick area, so if anyone has any stories or recommendations (good and bad), I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'm seriously considering switching from Magnet to BT. I've just moved into a new apartment and I ordered the magnet entertainment package which was installed last week. So far, i'm very unhappy.

While the broadband connection seems to work well, the TV service is utter crap. how they can charge for this 'service' is beyond me. to elaborate: the picture pauses and re-buffers every few seconds. the time that is takes to re-buffer can be anything from one second to a minute or more. the menus used to navigate the TV listings are totally unresponsive.

like i said, the broadband connection seems to work ok, and only once have i experienced some downtime. since then, it has worked flawlessly.

one thing that you might want to bear in mind is that you're not going to get 8mb - full stop. i'm in a brand new building, with brand new cabling and the exchange is at the entrance to my building. theoretically, i should be gettiung 8mb but i'm not. it's usually around 5-6mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I got mine installed last thursday and am still trying to get it working properly.
    I am not gonna use the TV and the phone is not working at the moment.
    Broadband is working but I am only getting around 2mb (signed up for 8).
    Its early days so I will give them the benefit of the doubt but its not a good start. I have been on to their tech support every day since last thursday and find them a bit of a joke. I was trying to explain to a guy this morning that the modem is not installed on my pc properly and that no discs were given (can't find drivers onlin). He said I don't need them and thats not the problem. I told him when i look at it in device manager it has the yellow question mark to signify that it is not installed properly. I have to ring back when I get home from work and am sitting at the pc.
    I have a bad feeling about this service...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

sham69 wrote:
    I got mine installed last thursday and am still trying to get it working properly.
    I am not gonna use the TV and the phone is not working at the moment.
    Broadband is working but I am only getting around 2mb (signed up for 8).
    Its early days so I will give them the benefit of the doubt but its not a good start. I have been on to their tech support every day since last thursday and find them a bit of a joke. I was trying to explain to a guy this morning that the modem is not installed on my pc properly and that no discs were given (can't find drivers onlin). He said I don't need them and thats not the problem. I told him when i look at it in device manager it has the yellow question mark to signify that it is not installed properly. I have to ring back when I get home from work and am sitting at the pc.
    I have a bad feeling about this service...........

this is strange. maybe they ship different modems out, but on the modem i have recieved there's no port for direct connection that would require drivers (USB etc). there's just ethernet ports for which no drive is required.

how are you plugging your modem into your pc?

There is a usb slot and the ethernet port aswell.
    I have both of them plugged in.
    Do I only need to use the ethernet cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Ya Sham, just use one or the other. The ethernet is probably handier and less troublesome.

I have the 30euro 2meg broadband package here in dublin and i'm very happy with it. I'm getting 3.07meg downstream instead of 2meg which is nice. Very little downtime so far, a couple of hours on one occasion in the past 3 months.

cheers Paul,
    Hopefully that will sort my problem.
    I am hoping for somewhere around the 5 or 6mbs from my 8mb line.
    I will let you know how i get on.
    Thanks Again.
    Sham.

Hi,
    Unplugged the USB cable last night and the broadband is flying.
    Getting speeds of around 6mb on the line.
    Only problem is the phone line is not working?
    I am using an eircom digital phone not an actual skype phone, does this matter? Magnet didnt provide a phone.
    Cheers.
    Sham

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Make sure to connect the phone line filter to the phone socket and then connect the phone to the filter. There must be filter on all phone's and modem's connected to your phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

Ive had magnet for the past year now. im beside the fourcourts. I had the entertainment package first but the tv was not really worth it. Video feed was ok but the user interface was too laggy.

so i got rid of the tv and im on magnet lite with 4Mb DL and free landline calls, this package is super. Always have 4Mb download. the only time i have problems with the phon is when im using torrent downloads. they seem to sap the connection too much so i just stop them when im on the phone.

Pings are round about 50-60ms to uk servers, not the best but ok for gaming.

The only substantial downtime ive had was when i first connected for about a week of dialup speeds but once that was fixed not another problem.

So overall: A1 service

Hi Paul,
    Didnt get a filter with it which I thought was strange.?
    Think I still have one from my old eircom BB.
    Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement