Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

export sql and then import sql to new server woes!

Options
  • 28-06-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

hi, i'm having trouble using bigdump to move a fairly large sql file from one host to another. BigDump keeps preventing the upload process at the same stage due to a syntax error but i uploaded the exact same file to another server using the bigdump with any problems before.

I'm fed up off BigDump and i'm now looking for an alternative (PHP based)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Big dumps are always a pain in the arse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

not knowing the problem too well ...

mysqldump isn't an option ?? ssh access to both servers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Are you sure that the cause of the problem is BigDump and not the contents of the dump itself?

What versions of MySQL are running on the servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Error at the line 117905: INSERT INTO phpbb_asearch_wordlist (word_text, word_id, word_common) VALUES('françois', '6715', '0');
    Query: INSERT INTO phpbb_asearch_wordlist (word_text, word_id, word_common) VALUES('françois', '6715', '0');
    MySQL: Duplicate entry 'françois' for key 1
    Stopped on error
    Start from the beginning[/URL] (DROP the old tables before restarting)

^

The error from big dump

OLD server is MySQL 4.1.12
    New server is 3.23.58
    Is that the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Upgrades from 3.23 to 4.X can be problematic as some protected keywords changed for the new major version. A downgrade might be awkward for the same reason. A list of the upgrade issues can be found here. They might give you some idea what could be breaking when you go in the other direction.

EDIT:

MySQL 3 has no CHARSET support. mysqldump itself has a couple of handy options for these situations '--compatible=mysql323' and '--default-character-set=XXXX' (where XXX is latin1,etc). Perhaps you can find a way to use these options to create a dump compatible with the new server.

• Advertisement

friggin webhosts are a nightmare for me. They upgrading my panel from HSP to Plesk, but downgraded mysql on me. Madness! I'm sorting them out now. I'll send them an email with this in the subject > :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

^

The error from big dump

OLD server is MySQL 4.1.12
    New server is 3.23.58
    Is that the problem?
    Is the new database clean? I am not sure about Bigdump - I tend to use mysqldump generally. But if you have an --add-drop-table option and have not used it, that could be the problem. The db may have partially loaded in the new db so every subsequent attempt to load will fail if the table isn't cleared/deleted first.

Regards...jmcc

after each fail i was dumping. SSH is the most viable option alright, live and learn i suppose.

tis' gonna be a late one for myself now......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

after each fail i was dumping. SSH is the most viable option alright, live and learn i suppose.

tis' gonna be a late one for myself now......:(
    Just on the offchance - do a select for francois (can't rem the code for the cidella(?) squiggle) on the new db before you try to load anything. While it could be a character related problem, the chances are that the dump does not drop the existing table if it exists and recreate it with the new data.

Regards...jmcc

i was thinking that myself. Especially since françois actually appears as francois when i search for it in the forum. I had an issue with chars which i couldn't understand. The old mysql settings where set to UTF8 too.

• Advertisement

christ look at the time! i'm going nowhere fast here. Could really do with some help....

Summary of problem
    Trying to export a db into a new server. I keep getting sql syntax errors (see below for another example). I have opened the sql file and removed the code, yet a replica of the same error appears.

Exporting Server is running:
    MYSQL 4.1.12
    Language: English (en-utf-8)
    MySQL Charset: UTF-8 Unicode
    MySQL connection collation: utf8_bin
    All rows are MyISAM and have collation latin1_swedish_ci

Importing Server is running:
    MYSQL 4.1.12
    Language: English (en-utf-8)
    MySQL Charset: UTF-8 Unicode
    MySQL connection collation: utf8_general_ci
    All rows are MyISAM and have collation latin1_swedish_ci

Would the difference in the collation types make any difference?

:(

Advertisement