Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

Hey just for reference here is my 01 Ford KA. Two years younger than that fiesta and more or less the same spec, price and lower mileage. But miles better looking :D (I think anyway)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=367984

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote:
    that Ghia for €3800 is a hell of a lot of entertaining car!

True. Although why is it that, whereas all Ghias have a/c, only a handful have ABS?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aircon was a major luxury at the time, and a far easier sell than ABS

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bnev

thanks for the advice folks, and yes im a guy. But the room inside the car should not be too much of an issue, apart from transporting people around.

Which car would be better for passengers? Ill be the only one in the family driving so ill have to do all the moving people about!!

Ill be mainly using it to get to and from work and general running about!

appreciate the advice

bnev

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bnev

oh and im also wondering if its better to buy from a garage in case anything goes wrong? or buy from a private seller?

• Advertisement

bnev wrote:
    oh and im also wondering if its better to buy from a garage in case anything goes wrong? or buy from a private seller?

Depends on how much of a warranty they give, whether the car comes serviced, and how much the car costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bnev wrote:
    thanks for the advice folks, and yes im a guy. But the room inside the car should not be too much of an issue, apart from transporting people around.

Which car would be better for passengers? Ill be the only one in the family driving so ill have to do all the moving people about!!

Ill be mainly using it to get to and from work and general running about!

appreciate the advice

bnev

If you are transporting people around then the practicality of a 5 door is a huge bonus. This would rule out the Ka as it is only available as a 3 door.

A 5 door 1999/2000 Fiesta 1.25 Ghia is a good suggestion, it comes with air conditioning or sunroof, cd player and electric windows. Very rare to find these in a Ka.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bnev wrote:

Totally depends on the warranty that the dealer is offering, what is covered under that warranty and the price difference between the dealer and a private sale.

My guess is that most dealers on average would offer a 6 month engine and gearbox warranty on a 1999/2000 car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

Why not consider a Mitsubishi Colt, it's a 1.3 and is better looking then most of the other cars in its class, and they are very reliable aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if you'll be driving everyone about, forget about the lot and get a more substancial car. i bet you're assuming there will be a big insurance hike when it probably won't be too bad. check out a €4k mazda 626. 1.8. reliable/ economical/ extremely good value. a car like that wouldn't just be your first car, it would simply be your car.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote:
    if you'll be driving everyone about, forget about the lot and get a more substancial car. i bet you're assuming there will be a big insurance hike when it probably won't be too bad. check out a €4k mazda 626. 1.8. reliable/ economical/ extremely good value. a car like that wouldn't just be your first car, it would simply be your car.

Not like you to be trying to get people into much bigger cars :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

get something you wouldnt mind holding on to. forget buying a 1L unless your looking for economy or whatever. I bought my first car abut 5 months ago, was told by everyone to get a 1L as the insurence will be crazy otherwise (am a 19/male/provis licence) and i rfused as i couldnt stand to be driving something that slow.i was quoted the same for a 1L micra as i was for a 1.2clio / 1.3 corsa / 1.4 206 / 1.4 golf, and believe it or not, a 1.6 astra was only 200 quid dearer. and all cars were valued in around 3500 - 5500 and '99-'01 in year. that was TPFT with quinn direct. i bought the 206 and am loving it. and im 6'0 with no hassle for space. a 1.3 starlet could be a good choice. would get a good 95 one cheap no bother. or a honda civic? both good reliale cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

cantdecide wrote:
    ...check out a €4k mazda 626. 1.8...
    A lot of insurers will find the concept of a 20-year-old in a 1.8 quite amusing...

Advertisement