Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data transfer limit - BT

• 28-06-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

So here's a dumb question: I've had BT BB about 3 weeks now with a data transfer limit of 20gigs per month. Now I had assumed that a "data transfer limit" meant that the sum of my uploads and downloads should be under 20gb (otherwise they could cut me off or charge me). Now I read through some old threads and I'm just after noticing one that said that for a 20gb data transfer limit, you're allowed to upload 20gb and download 20gb before BT are entitled to cut off/charge you. Is this the case? Have I been a complete muppet the past fortnight and a half? :D I'd love to check the BT site to see if it is but I find they're info/faq section a bugger to navigate and the site seems to be down at the mo anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

So here's a dumb question: I've had BT BB about 3 weeks now with a data transfer limit of 20gigs per month. Now I had assumed that a "data transfer limit" meant that the sum of my uploads and downloads should be under 20gb (otherwise they could cut me off or charge me). Now I read through some old threads and I'm just after noticing one that said that for a 20gb data transfer limit, you're allowed to upload 20gb and download 20gb before BT are entitled to cut off/charge you. Is this the case? Have I been a complete muppet the past fortnight and a half? :D I'd love to check the BT site to see if it is but I find they're info/faq section a bugger to navigate and the site seems to be down at the mo anyway!

20GB each way.....20GB for downloads and another 20GB for uploads.

Its not hard to find if you look in the queestions section...its one of the highlighted topics!!!

Mod please LOCK this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I told ya it was a dumb question! Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

is it the same for NTL????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

zuma wrote:
    20GB each way.....20GB for downloads and another 20GB for uploads.

Its not hard to find if you look in the queestions section...its one of the highlighted topics!!!

Mod please LOCK this thread!

Why lock this thread???

It's a perfectly acceptable question. I also believed that it was 20GB limit for up and down combined as I am new to BT. Good to know it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what they mean is 20GB up or 20GB down. Whichever happens. Ive gone over a couple of times, no major issues but your mileage may vary as they say :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Ludo wrote:
    Why lock this thread???

It's a perfectly acceptable question. I also believed that it was 20GB limit for up and down combined as I am new to BT. Good to know it's not.

Well do a little search next time as its been answered MANY times before!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

what they mean is 20GB up or 20GB down. Whichever happens. Ive gone over a couple of times, no major issues but your mileage may vary as they say :)
    No, tis each way. The BT site seems to be down so I can't get the exact wording but from memory it's goes like this.
    "Your transfer allowance can be used in either direction.
    (ie. you can download 20gb AND upload 20gb in the same month without penalty)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Could this not be added to the FAQ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree with previous suggestions, please use the search facility after looking through the BT site, and the thread should be locked after OP's question answered, how many "limits" threads do we need, seems to be one every other day and if folk would just search/page back all the answers are there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

pft.
    the lad asked a question.
    Give him a break. Its better than not asking.

• Advertisement

True but if it was in the FAQ or if he searched then he wouldnt need to ask.

Dont be so lazy .. use the search button.

kaizersoze wrote:
    No, tis each way. The BT site seems to be down so I can't get the exact wording but from memory it's goes like this.
    "Your transfer allowance can be used in either direction.
    (ie. you can download 20gb AND upload 20gb in the same month without penalty)."

So you agree with me? If you go over either you are over limit!

So you agree with me? If you go over either you are over limit!
    Reading it again in the cold light of day.......yes I am agreeing with you.:)
    Technically the transfer allowance is 40gig.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Technically the transfer allowance is 40gig.

However you cannot mix 'n' match.
    i.e. Dowload 30 gigs and upload 10.

So its 20 up and 20 down.

Diabolus wrote:
    However you cannot mix 'n' match.
    i.e. Dowload 30 gigs and upload 10.

So its 20 up and 20 down.
    Exactly

LOL, well that answers that then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

zuma wrote:
    Well do a little search next time as its been answered MANY times before!!!
    Diabolus wrote:
    True but if it was in the FAQ or if he searched then he wouldnt need to ask.

Dont be so lazy .. use the search button.
    slave1 wrote:
    I agree with previous suggestions, please use the search facility after looking through the BT site, and the thread should be locked after OP's question answered, how many "limits" threads do we need, seems to be one every other day and if folk would just search/page back all the answers are there

I did search back through the threads - like I stated in my original post - but the latest answer I found on the matter was over a month old and for all I know BT's policy may have changed within that time. If you look at the wording of my post I wasn't asking a new question, I was simply confirming that the answer to an old one still applied. Also - like I stated in my original post, again - the BT site was down, and I was looking for an pretty immediate answer. Thanks again!

but the latest answer I found on the matter was over a month old and for all I know BT's policy may have changed within that time.

Thats why the FAQ should be updated.

Advertisement