Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Vectra, advice on buying

Options
  • 28-06-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Im thinking of buying a 00-01 1.6 opel Vectra. There are plenty of them on carzone and cbg for in and around 6k with about 50thousand miles on the clock.

Has anyone got any experience of them, particularly anyone that has owned one of this age or recently purchased one. Have you had any trouble with them or maintenance problems at all?

Is there anything i should particularly look out for? What is the economy like on a 1.6? mpg?

Does anybody have any other recommendations for a car in the same sort of price range?

I'm attracted to the vectra because my dad had one before, it was a nice drive and comes with a good spec.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're an O.K. car to drive but the engines tend to be fairly troublesome and they don't hold their value v. well, like most cars in this class. You'd be better off in a Toyota Avensis or a Honda Accord, but this is just my opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If it's anything like the current 1.6 then,like a lot of cars in the class it's underpowered for a car of it's size. If 1.8 is an option it'd be a better direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Im thinking of buying a 00-01 1.6 opel Vectra. There are plenty of them on carzone and cbg for in and around 6k with about 50thousand miles on the clock.

Has anyone got any experience of them, particularly anyone that has owned one of this age or recently purchased one. Have you had any trouble with them or maintenance problems at all?

Is there anything i should particularly look out for? What is the economy like on a 1.6? mpg?

Does anybody have any other recommendations for a car in the same sort of price range?

I'm attracted to the vectra because my dad had one before, it was a nice drive and comes with a good spec.

I bought a new Vectra 1.8 litre CD model back in 1999. These are the list of problems I had with the car in 15 months of ownership:
    • Driver's electric window kept getting stuck half way down, dealer replaced the relay, issues happened again about 2 months later. Another relay replaced.
    • Radio/cd player controls on the steering wheel sometimes didn't work. Dealer could not isolate the problem.
    • Climate Controled air conditioning stopped working just about a month outside of warranty. Opel told me a new system would cost over £1,000 to fix. :eek: Didn't bother getting it fixed.
    • Car lost power once while driving, had to pull over with no power steering which was scary.
    I found the 1.8 engine to be very slugish and the mpg was also poor. So I imagine the 1.6 litre may be worse. I got rid of it after having enough of the above with it and lost a fortune on it as the depreciation made me almost cry.

I know I could have bought a Monday morning job but that is my experience of the car anyway, that and the real crap Opel aftersales service has made me vow to never touch Opel again. Imo there are better cars out there for similar money.

End of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had a 97 model that was the worst car I ever had and almost fell apart. The missus has 2k astra which is 100% solid. To be fair I think the early Vectras suffered a lot from teething problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I currently have a '99 Vectra (Diesel) and while it runs fine the only reason I have it is that I got it for nothing and don't drive it enough to go throught he hassle/expense of replacing it. I think that most of the alternatives in the same class are probably better cars.

Also, I've never driven the 1.6 but the Vectra is a heavy car and I'd wonder how well the engine would cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

IT won't set your pulse racing but the 1.6 ECOTEC engine is a very reliable unit. Just make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done. The older model Vectra isn't as heavy as the current model so mpg should be reasonable

They're very common so I'd take my time and try and find a clean CD model as you'll get it for the same price as a basic model

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy something else. Almost anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wife has a 99 model. I absolutely hate driving it. I can't think of one redeemimg factor in it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

I bought one of these about a year back (00 Vectra). It cost e6,700 from a dealer, and I am glad I got it from one because I have had a few problems since getting it.

1. The front (driver) door has 'cranked' making audible thud, thud noises. Very annoying. I have had this fixed 3 times, currently okay, but not much confidence.

2. One of the back doors has developed the same problem.

3. The power steering went when a pipe came loose of its own accord under the car. Since the garage thought this was a seal problem (i.e. they never really looked at it, just put in a sealant), this cost me two days service.

4. The boot is a pain. It seems to lock when the engine is on. You have to turn the car off to open it. Just give me a lever to open it in the front, is all I want.

On the other hand I do like driving it. I would say that it is probably less economic than average, but then I do a lot of short journeys.

Overall I'd give it 5 out of 10. I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Buy something else. Almost anything else.
    Sound advice.

But if you do get one be sure the timing belt has been replaced - they are due every 36k or so and I've seen them snap not long after this. Also be sure the coolant pump was replaced at the same time as if it collapses (and they do) it'll be big money to replace as the water pump is driven by the timing belt.

I had loads of them on fleet a few years back and they broke my heart - well most of them anyway.

Best if you can get one with a main dealer service history if you do decide to go ahead and buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

i just sold a 00 Primera for alot less than 6k.
    Vectra's are not loved. You should be able to get one for sub 5k, if you really want one.

Advertisement