Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant access soccer forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We're not whinging over the situation, and prob is doin us any favours, but as Jumpa said he contacted Mod privately and is looking for "Feedback" on the situation here. Not trying to upset anyone or argue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

fade2black wrote:
    Ah...you pm'd him first and then started this thread? Well I dunno what to say to ya. Maybe T4TF is just not the understanding type.

Not quiet.

I started the thread thinking there was some issue with my account. I got no message saying I was banned and as I said didnt think there was any reason for me to be banned.

Then one of the guys pointed it out that I was banned.

PM'd T4TF.

Got a reply saying the ban still stood.

Replied apologising for putting him in the situation, that he was right to ban us but in hindsight it was just a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is boards not a place where u can come and communicate with friends? Is it not a place where everyone has the freedom to post on any forum (they have access to)?

In this case, the exchange between Trilla and WheresMyJumpa has been mis-categorized, thus triggering a disciplinary response. It draws parallels with the law stating you cannot inflict excessive hurt on a burglar, even though, quite frankly, they deserve it.
    In this case, the two unlucky partys do not deserve punishment. It was an 'off the cuff' remark that any quick google will tell you is actually Republic of Loose song lyrics. Regardless of if Trilla and WheresMyJumpa actually know each other in real life, the reaction seems to have been premature. and the banning itself, in hindsight, has no real grounds to stay in effect.

Given the past posting historys of the two partys in question, it is clear they are not out to start fights, troll, or cause a general nuisance. In fact, from my own personal experience, and even a quick "previous posts" check, you can clearly see that their posts are insightful and knowledgeable and, in my opinion, it is in the best interests of the Soccer Forum to keep posters such as Trilla and WheresMyJumpa in the forum.

In light of their admission of some wrong doing (ie off topic posting) and their apologies, I feel they should be reinstated as members of the Soccer Forum ASAP!

Thank you,
    bman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sorry I thought this discussion was over, what I have said, and have continued to say is as follows.

Lets say for example that I called somebody I know personally on the soccer forum a "hypocritic assmuch" words of a song BTW. Now nobody knows that I knew this guy and after I got banned I pm him and say any chance you can back me up and say that we are only joking (after an apology, not suggesting for a moment that you guys have done this BTW). Pm the Mod, chat to him and explain the "situation" and have a ban lifted for either or both parties dependent on the situation.

What is to stop anybody else doing the same thing ? What is to stop anybody complaining, as people seem wont to do, that they are in the same boat and surely they should have a ban lifted on the basis that I am being unfair because I have already done the same for somebody else.

wheres, thank you for the PM and the apology and I understand why you and trilla are upset, but also being mod of the paranormal forum gives me a unique POV and I can foresee the sh1tstorm that lifting a ban because people are mates and were only joking could cause.

bman, your very inciteful post gave me pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

For what its worth the soccer forum mods have an incredibly hard job, i'd imagine its among the worst, if not THE WORST forum to moderate.

So much anger....

I've given T4TF a hard time previously - but he does his best - and people tend to confuse T4TF the mod with T4TF the forum contributor.

Anyway... TOOT ON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    For what its worth the soccer forum mods have an incredibly hard job, i'd imagine its among the worst, if not THE WORST forum to moderate.

So much anger....

I've given T4TF a hard time previously - but he does his best - and people tend to confuse T4TF the mod with T4TF the forum contributor.

Anyway... TOOT ON!

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

what QFT?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what QFT?
    Quoted For Truth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The soccer forum is thee forum for me, its the forum I read everyday, its the forum I post the most in(although been quiet lately). Therefore I am extremely annoyed with this.

However T4TF is sticking to his guns and I have respect for that. This was never an attack on his contribution or effort as a Mod, just a challenge to his ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The soccer forum is thee forum for me, its the forum I read everyday, its the forum I post the most in(although been quiet lately). Therefore I am extremely annoyed with this.

However T4TF is sticking to his guns and I have respect for that. This was never an attack on his contribution or effort as a Mod, just a challenge to his ruling.

Assuming someone reported jumpa's and Trillas exchange all I have to say is that whoever that was should get a life FFS. I suggested this before and got a negative response but here goes again. I think that all reports of bad posts on the soccer forum in particular should be made public. If someone is really offended by something they should have the conviction to say so in public, I know I would. It might prevent some of the tit for tat point scoring reporting that I believe may be going on at the moment.

Apart from that I concur with RE*ACT*ORS sentiments as expressed a few posts above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:
    Assuming someone reported jumpa's and Trillas exchange all I have to say is that whoever that was should get a life FFS. I suggested this before and got a negative response but here goes again. I think that all reports of bad posts on the soccer forum in particular should be made public. If someone is really offended by something they should have the conviction to say so in public, I know I would. It might prevent some of the tit for tat point scoring reporting that I believe may be going on at the moment.

Tom, people seem obsessed with this idea that reporting posts is a malicious thing done to get a dig in at a particular poster. There is nothing to suggest that the mods are swayed by spurious reports, they either judge a post out of line or they don't. I'm guessing here, but I believe the ration of reported posts:bans is extremely high, and IMO that suggests that the mods generally have the cop on to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Just because you or I think a ban is unjustified doesn't make it so.

p.s. I'm happy to hold my hand up and say I ratted someone out, done it before and just done it now. IMO, if it was a requirement for those reports to be made public then it would encourage even more tit for tat bulls*it (i.e. he reported me??? I'll get the bast*rd!).

I dont blame T4TF for stickin to his guns, he's gotta do what he thinks is right. But on a final note on this scenario, if anyone were to look back at those 2 posts (2 lines of songs, where one was called a idiot in a bizzare fashion, the other just had a swear word) Ive no doubt the majority would laugh at how it was worth a weeks banning. I repsect the decision, mighten agree with it but nothin I can do about that. Thanks to everyone for their inputs (and attempts to get the Trilla back on!).

Trilla

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tom, people seem obsessed with this idea that reporting posts is a malicious thing done to get a dig in at a particular poster. There is nothing to suggest that the mods are swayed by spurious reports, they either judge a post out of line or they don't. I'm guessing here, but I believe the ration of reported posts:bans is extremely high, and IMO that suggests that the mods generally have the cop on to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Just because you or I think a ban is unjustified doesn't make it so.

p.s. I'm happy to hold my hand up and say I ratted someone out, done it before and just done it now. IMO, if it was a requirement for those reports to be made public then it would encourage even more tit for tat bulls*it (i.e. he reported me??? I'll get the bast*rd!).

Don't get me wrong Ronan, I,m not getting at the mods and I don't think they are swayed by spurious reports. But the way things are ther now you can be baneed for making a bad joke or using mildly offensive comments.

The point I am making is that I believe users in soccer can use the system/rules currently in place there to point score on other users who step slightly out of line. Trillas , Jumpa's and to an extent Pigmans 2 ban are examples of this .

The soccer forum is tough enough to mod with all the divided loyalties and tribalism there without the added dimension of the mods having to try figure out the motive behind specific reported posts. Are the users of the soccer forum so thin skinned that Jumpa's and Trilla's comments genuinely offended them. I suggest they are not and assuming those posts were reported by other users the reason was to point score.
    I don't think going public on reported posts would have the effect you suggest. I don't believe anyone wants to be seen as a moaning git and so would only report posts that genuinely offend them. IMO it would cut out the "point scoring complaints" and should mean that the mods only have to deal with "genuine" complaints. I cetainly would have no problem going public on the odd occasion that I have report a post. I may be wrong of course and going public may as you say cause more trouble than it's worth but there is no harm putting the suggestion out there for consideration/discussion.

The Muppet wrote:

The soccer forum is tough enough to mod with all the divided loyalties and tribalism there without the added dimension of the mods having to try figure out the motive behind specific reported posts. Are the users of the soccer forum so thin skinned that Jumpa's and Trilla's comments genuinely offended them.

Here's where I have to disagree with you Tom. I believe the Report Post function to be about more than "that offended me personally" The note at the bottom of the dialog box when you click report post says it all:
    This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

So its plainly not just about posts that offend you personally, is it? The mods requested help from the users of the forum before (and have since clarified that the reports post function should not be used as a personal vendeta, which suggests they are aware of the possibility of such a thing happening), they are aware they can't watch everything all of the time, so if a user sees something which may be in breach of the charter, or may lead to a thread taking a nasty trun, then they're right to report it.

I happen to agree with you re. Trilla and jumpa, but I also see T4FT's point regarding a possible precedent if he does lift their ban. Its a nasty situation to be in, he's damned either way.

As for the context of posts? I'd hazard a guess that the majority of spurious reports are in relation to established users (say for e.g. myself vs Lemlin, or you vs Hobart, not accusing anyone of you of making spurious reports), so I assume the mods are only too aware of the history between the protagonists and are able to decide whether a post is out of order ot not.

At the end of the day, thats waht its about. Not whether you or I think a post is out of line, but whether the mod does. A reported post is just brought to their attention.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Repeated reporting of posts which are not actionable will get you a slap. Its happened (quite a number of times) before and I'll sanction it for wasting mods time. Its not big and its not clever.

Funnily, quite a number of times (more then you'd believe!) someone has reported a post and I've ended up going to the thread, reading what they themselves wrote and banned them!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote:
    Repeated reporting of posts which are not actionable will get you a slap. Its happened (quite a number of times) before and I'll sanction it for wasting mods time. Its not big and its not clever.

Funnily, quite a number of times (more then you'd believe!) someone has reported a post and I've ended up going to the thread, reading what they themselves wrote and banned them!

DeV.

lol.

happens on AH all the time :)

i have no problem with people reporting posts. i think its healthy interaction within the community.
    however, just because a post is reported does not mean that something will happen.
    its about being sensible and realising when there is an issue, or whether someone just doesnt agree.
    i think that most mods moderate reported posts with common sense.

The two posts above pretty much sum it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mods are never wrong, not even slightly all decisions are final :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mods are never wrong, not even slightly all decisions are final :rolleyes:

I know and yet people still complain.........

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was watching a football match today, my 4 yearly delve into the soccer world (apart from when Greece kicked everyone's arse in the Euro) and I saw some startling comparisons with the referees and players and the mods and users on the soccer forum.

Whenever the ref gives a yellow card everyone gesticulates and shouts and screams about how wrong the ref is but the ref never takes the yellow card back and unyellowcards the player.

• Advertisement

yellow cards can be resinded though, by FIFA, if a player were to appeal after the match...and most of the time the players have a case and their band is cancelled. Aaagh gettin band from soccer forum while the World Cup is on! ya hadto mention the World Cup.

I want my yellow card taken back (joke - for fear of another ban!! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sorry, didn't mean to stir the broth with the World cup. Interesting two games today by the way ;)

In that case, if you were to make a parallel with the yellow card then it would mean that the mod would unban you when the game is up - ie: when the ban is up. So he would just be unbanning you when you are already banned.

Or, I guess a ban is actually a red card as a yellow card means that you won't play the next game right? I have no idea really as I think football is for wimps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gordon wrote:
    I have no idea really as I think football is for wimps...

So did YOU play for ? :p

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Gordon wrote:
    Sorry, didn't mean to stir the broth with the World cup. Interesting two games today by the way ;)

In that case, if you were to make a parallel with the yellow card then it would mean that the mod would unban you when the game is up - ie: when the ban is up. So he would just be unbanning you when you are already banned.

Or, I guess a ban is actually a red card as a yellow card means that you won't play the next game right? I have no idea really as I think football is for wimps...
    Giblet: cept no one here has ever given three bans before permabanning someone :P so guess we're not like the refs that much :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I guess that makes me FIFA? Not sure how I feel about... :^/

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

whats the story with actually accessing soccer. Yes I have read the rules and posted appropriately asking for access, but my thread was locked and no access given. Is this normal? The same thing happened a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

&#231 wrote: »
    Giblet: cept no one here has ever given three bans before permabanning someone :P so guess we're not like the refs that much :P
    Mayordenis was sobang goes that theory..

Also Lovely, that was an admin eror, I had populated the list and pressed deny access rather than allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

DeVore wrote:
    I guess that makes me FIFA? Not sure how I feel about... :^/

DeV.

Alright sep.

Cant wiat for your announcement that female boards memeber should wear tighter and smaller shorts.

Advertisement