Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Level

Options
  • 28-06-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hi guys,

i am currently on the market for a new rifle.
    what i have currently is a cz .22 with a nitehawke scope and a yildiz o/u.

i have looked at a ruger target grey in a .220swift variant and also a remy 700.

is there any rifle i may be missing out due to my ignorance?

thanks
    iremex

ps, also what kinda scope would be suitable for the ruger/remy around the 1k mark?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

iremex, it might help if you said what you planned to do with the new rifle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As an intermediate step between 22lr and 220swift, how about 223, cheaper to shoot, better choice of rifles, and plenty of power if you're after the madra rua.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

civdef wrote:
    As an intermediate step between 22lr and 220swift, how about 223, cheaper to shoot, better choice of rifles, and plenty of power if you're after the madra rua.

thats exactly what i am after. the fox at the 200plus yards distance. thanks for that.
    i was hear its alot tougher to get a 223 as opposed to a 220swift, is that right? what is needed to get the 223 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There should be no difference, local superintendent peculiarities excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

as civ has said the 223 is a much more suitable round for shooting fox out to 200 yards, its cheaper, less recoil

If guns were licensed with any bit of common sense the 223 should be easier to license than a 220swift as it is a less powerful round.

I am currently waiting on my license for my 223 for 7 weeks and 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

The .223 is the way to go if you can convince the super that its the right tool for the job. but the perception of it being a military round can be a problem.

1. Its a hell'av lot cheaper than .200swift ammo.
    2. Its very efficient if you plan to reload in the future. (God willing)
    3. Its not as loud.
    4. It causes less barrell wear.
    5. The range of ammo is excellent.
    6. Theres a much larger range of firearms to choose from.

All that said i still use the swift but for financial reasons i will admit.
    I am sure i've forgotten something but thats the basics.

Hezz:D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

any idea what the SI in carlow is like?
    i personally would prefer the .308 but thats in a perfect world, actually the bareta 50, but anyways back to reality.....
    today i am going gun shopping but am a little hesitant to buy the scope in ireland as i believe that the best way , i.e. cheapest way, is to buy online and buy in the states. are there any sites that you could direct me you have experience?

iremex

Advertisement