Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car lost nearly all drive

Options
  • 28-06-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Driving home there and suddenly my car lost nearly all of its power.

You put your foot down and acc very slowly.

No grunt at all.

when stationary and out of gear and gently feather the accelerator it goes a put rough for the 1st couple of hundred revs.

The car is running a bit rough when stationary.

Its a 2003 Seat Ibiza 1.4 Sports

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Faulty throttle control sounds like. Exactly whats causing it is another matter.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any ideas how long it would take to find the problem??

Could it be plugs or coils pack??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Is it a "fly-by-wire" throttle?. and is it a VW equivalent, if so, still easy to test.

Remove the pipe (probably plastic) between the throttle body and the air filter. then with the ignition ON/RUN, have another person press the throttle in steps from Closed to Floored. Even though it is not running the Throttle motor should work to open the throttle plate.
    At floored, it shoue be wide open, if so, nothing wrong there.

It is runing rough, this shoud indicate it is either missfiring or short of fuel on one injector.
    I think it may be the coils, many reports of failed coils.

Is it a coil over plug (1 per cylinder) or a coil pack, 1 per 2 cylinders, 2 per pack with plug wires.

Either way, start by checking the plugs, look for a fouled one, or two.

Check it running in pitch darkness, see if there is external arcing between coil/wire components and adjacent body parts.

Another possibility is low fuel pressure, due to a failed pump or blocked filter.

Does have a Turbo?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bopy

It also sounds like your CAT converter os about to go if not gone already. I had the exact same on a BMW 316 about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am a stranger under a bonnet.

It doesn't have a turbo.

If it is the cat convertor or the coil plug how long would it take to fix as I need today to go to a wedding at 12 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

my 03 Ibiza (1.2L) had the same problem when it was only a few weeks old. It was a Coil, I drove to the seat dealer where I bought it and they fitted a new one in about 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Trampas wrote:
    I am a stranger under a bonnet.

It doesn't have a turbo.

If it is the cat convertor or the coil plug how long would it take to fix as I need today to go to a wedding at 12 today

Borrow another car, and get the fault identified.

It may be an ignition/electronic issue, and the car may have gone into "limp" mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Sounds like a faulty ignition coil. Remove your spark plugs 1 by 1 and if one is very wet that one has got the faulty coil. You can fit a new one in five minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

endplate wrote:
    Sounds like a faulty ignition coil. Remove your spark plugs 1 by 1 and if one is very wet that one has got the faulty coil. You can fit a new one in five minutes

I agree with this. Sounds like a coil pack to me, I think they come seperate on vw's/ seat as in most others come as a unit with four coils on it.

Advertisement