Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is moving away from home next year?

Options
  • 28-06-2006 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

I personally am not. I'm going to trinity(I hope) and I live in Drogheda.Will just get the train station to pearse every morning. Should be handy enough. Might move out in second year though. Just see how I feel. I'm afraid of being homesick. Anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

praying for schols in 2nd year... thats my only hope of leaving home! live in dublin so it's tough to justify it, to myself... dont think id survive working enough to afford the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I could be going to UL so yes, if not I'll be in UCD hopefully so if thats the case then no. I have accomodation reserved in UL just in case. At the moment I'd love to go down, but my view tends to change every 5 minutes. I dunno. We'll see sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I'll probably be moving. I live close to Athlone IT (30 mins drive) but have no interest in goin there. I hope to get on campus but I think i too might get homesick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

There are plenty of courses in WIT that I could do (I live just outside Waterford City), but I really cant wait to get out of this sh*thole! Although I have great friends here, I'm really excited about getting away and meeting new people (in DCU hopefully... session on!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Living in New Ross, so it's either move out or commute 3 hours a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Living in Dundalk and HOPE to go to Edinburgh or Maynooth goin 2 be scary tho. But I cud end up in DKIT so I wud still be living with mammy & daddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

If i go to Trinity, no.
    If i go to DCU, maybe.

I really don't want a 2 hour journey each way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Not really sure yet, have to change around my CAO so i'll wait and see what comes my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hopefully, i've applied for on campus in DCU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I live about 10 minutes from UCC so I'm definately not moving out. I actually know just one person who is moving out next year!
    It's a shame because I feel like we will miss out on a part of college. People always seem to bond with their roomates and it gives you independence. Although at least I don't have to work my way through college!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Yeah, I'm going to have to.. Cavan is too far away from everywhere, so wherever I end up, I'll have to live away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

NADA wrote:
    I personally am not. I'm going to trinity(I hope) and I live in Drogheda.Will just get the train station to pearse every morning. Should be handy enough. Might move out in second year though. Just see how I feel. I'm afraid of being homesick. Anybody else?

Homesick of your friends and family? or Drogheda in general? LMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

If I go to Limerick I'll have to move, stay at home if I go to Liberties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

If I go anywhere I have to move, UL or UCC.. whichever the results pick..

cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

If I had a choice in my CAO I'd be moving to DCU.
    But I don't, UCC next year and the hell of living at home in misery while I watch my 2 best friends move away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'll be staying at home too. working for a year and then going to college whilst also living at home.

2hr round trip to college in my own car with my own insurance paid for by myself, plus ~€10k in the bank by the time i hit college along with a laptop and technology laden pad. thats my plan.

have the car and pad already, just need to start saving again :( this way, i'll have no financial worries and can even live a life of relative luxury whilst in college.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

honestly i could not suggest moving away from home any more and that is for one simple reason. Uni is made up of two main aspects 1)Academic and 2) Social. I

would be quite surprised if you could fulfill the social side of uni life to its potential while living at home. If you moved out you could:

go out and stay out as late as you want whenever you want.
    or
    Bring whoever you want back to yours to stay over, being able to do this obviously improves your chances of getting laid
    or
    giving you the opportunity to do things that your parents would obviously object to and i cant suggest anyone does like have wild parties, take drugs, have one night stands ect

in essence im saying itl give you the chance to experience independance aswell as otherthings not available to you at home. I also suggest that now is the best time to consider it as firstly you have an exuse at the moment with the initial move to university and because your first year at uni should the easiest and if the move doesent work out you can always return home before the bigger workload in 2nd and 3rd year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

if i go to ucd no coz i only live around the corner. but i've ucc and ul down too so i may have to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

nope...staying in dublin...all my choices on my cao are either in trinity or ucd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Homesick of your friends and family? or Drogheda in general? LMAO
    Just homesick. I'd miss waking up to the smell of rusting trolleys in the boyne river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

NADA wrote:
    Just homesick. I'd miss waking up to the smell of rusting trolleys in the boyne river.

Lol, Drogheda smells like crap anyway, especially on the northside. I'm gonna get train to college to, but probs get part time job, and move in with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

honestly i could not suggest moving away from home any more and that is for one simple reason. Uni is made up of two main aspects 1)Academic and 2) Social. I

would be quite surprised if you could fulfill the social side of uni life to its potential while living at home. If you moved out you could:

go out and stay out as late as you want whenever you want.
    or
    Bring whoever you want back to yours to stay over, being able to do this obviously improves your chances of getting laid

thats waffle,it depends on your parents tbh.i have three older siblings,2 of whom are finished college and believe me,they all fulfilled "the social side of uni life to its potential while living at home"
    your talking sh*t mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

have dublin down for most of my choices and I hopefully will get one of them, so yes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I nearly put down UL as my number 1 choice, mainly out of a desire to move out, but that idea died a death. They just put a new bus stop right outside my house, so travelling from here to Trinity will require about 2 minutes walking time and maybe 45 minutes transport, so I really can't justify moving away.

Hopefully schols will sort out my living situation after that. I'm quite lucky really.

Advertisement