Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychic & Spiritual Development Circle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Not much point in having a nose for trouble if you don't use it.

If this is to be a development course then how shall the devleopement be measured ?
    Are you going to run a battery of tests before and after ?
    What skills are you going to look at developing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I think the idea of testing might put people off, it is more of a personal development - each at their own pace.

However I wouldnt have a problem with testing though it may be an optional extra.

Things I'd like to look at developing are, psychometry, aura reading, pendalum work, contacting spirit guides and maybe a few other ares but i'm open to try anything.

Would you have any suggestions Thaed? We've plenty of time to look at content.

Psychometry, no problem with that or pendalum work.
    Aura reading well that has several dangers to both parties and a whole heap of applictions what ones will be covered ?
    Contacting spirit guides this would be to my mind a possible mindfield.

What else ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thaedydal wrote:
    If this is to be a development course then how shall the devleopement be measured ?
    Are you going to run a battery of tests before and after ?
    What skills are you going to look at developing ?
    First of all I'd use the word group or circle instead of course, I don't see it being one or two people standing up in front of everyone else telling them how to do things (altough we may occasionally try to arrange lectures/workshops, I haven't really thought fully through how or even if that could work). As for testing, I know 6th has mentioned wanting to try out zenner cards before and I do think that as we try things out we should devise ways of measuring our progress, but I don't want it to become too goal orientated (gold stars, grading curves etc). I think any kind of testing would be aimed at people seeing themselves if they are progressing or not.

I have been deliberately vague on what topics we intend to cover, I think we should decide as a group (when we have a group) what interests us and what doesn't. I don't want to rule things definitely in or definitely out. Some of the things I'd be interested in myself would be reading auras, psychometry, general telepathy, remote viewing, precognition, telekinesis, meditation and so on.

The manner in which I think topics should be dealt with, is that the person who introduces a topic should lead a discussion amongst the group on it. Where appropriate we would then devise some excersises related to the topic and see how they go (maybe some 'homework' excersises too). Depending on the topic we may come back to it after a while and try them again and see if there's any.

OK so you are looking for a group of people with a shared intrest to get together and share their experiences and skills and try out what ever ways they use to do such things ?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    OK so you are looking for a group of people with a shared intrest to get together and share their experiences and skills and try out what ever ways they use to do such things ?

Yes and No, there is no reason why someone with little experience couldnt come along and learn meditation techniques etc. I'm sure there will be people interested who have no idea what psychometry is and want to develope their ability in that way.

There is no prerequisite (spelling?) for people to have an understanding of all the possible topics before coming along.

and in answer to your next question, there would be a lot of advantages to having people with lot's of experience and lot's of skills, and there are also advantages to people being relatively inexperienced. We do have one person we can call upon from time to time when a more experienced hand is required and maybe one or two others we can enlist, no big name TV celebs unfortunatly, but people who have worked a lot with groups before.

(and if you're not carefull you might get conscripted yourself :) )

Sapien wrote:
    You got Mysteria!?

;)

Though I am intrigued. Anyone you might name, or describe?

I'll sit on it for a while ... but it aint Mysteria! (we couldnt afford her ;))

stevenmu wrote:
    (and if you're not carefull you might get conscripted yourself :) )

hah not bloody likely :P

See I have been watching this thread and the whole concept thinking good idea/bad idea from the very begining.

I do think if you have done a course and have had guidance and will be basing what you are doing off that you should mention who you have worked with and under what system.

It is always good to have a wiser and older head for when thing go screwy which it is in my opinion always happens with these sorts of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

6th wrote:
    (bi-weekly is every two weeks as opposed to twice a week right ?)
    had to think about it myself![/quote]

I thought the term was fortnightly? Shows how much I know, lol

Anyway, it's a shame I'm not over there, or I'd be in regular attendance myself. Like I said though, as I promised 6th, I'd drop by whenever I was in the country (and able).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Thaedydal, youre absolutely right.

My personal inclination and involvement in this is basically that I come from a line of spiritualists in the family. Im used to attending this sort of thing from my life in Scotland though, now im in Dub it seems we arent so well catered for so this was basically my wish - to attend a developement circle, which is what spiritualist churches and meetings essentially are. Now, when it comes to the actual 'starting' of a circle, this is when i get a little shaky because that means someone has to be at the forefront, and i dont consider myself a guide, or a tutor as such, therefore i worry that it could be directionless unless we sort out some format, and have a mentor installed at the helm. Who this might be i dont know, id personally go for gordon smith :)

Couldnt afford him either...

time wise - mark & steven etc know my schedule is very rocky at the mo, so bi weekly would be better id say. This also allows people more time to adjust and to practise. Lets not forget that for some of us, our abilities can be draining, very tiring...

Anyway, ive seen many circles go down the pan because of the idea sounding great but the man or woman at the helm simply has to have more knowledge than the atendants, in order to creat some form of direction, and forward motion amongst everyone. Without this, and with everyone being on an equal footing, itd be kinda like a football team without a manager.

Stuff for the discussion though...

I dont really see the need for "one" person leading it, as mentioned on a thread on Paranormal about DCs having someone chair the meets would suit me as it can be rotated amoug the 3 of us. This allows for if one of us isnt around.

You also so need that some one to be able to say No very clearly and resoundingly on certain matters.

well i know for me thats not a problem, I'm used to organising and doing what it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

I think it is vitally important, more so than considering content and format and topics etc etc that you three get togeather and draw up some sort of charter that covers ethics and morality, protection and legal matters and possibly a mission statement of sorts and take everything from there.
    The ethics of such a group are possibly the most important issue you guys have ahead of you. If you dont get that right and find a way to convey those ethical standards to those who attend then your boarding a sinking ship

Thaedydal wrote:
    hah not bloody likely :P
    I was expecting that in some kind of giant font, I must be out of tune today :)
    Thaedydal wrote:
    See I have been watching this thread and the whole concept thinking good idea/bad idea from the very begining.
    I do see where you're coming from, and it's certainly better to have you pointing out potential trouble spots no than for us to run into them totally unprepared later (or worse still to not notice them at all)
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I do think if you have done a course and have had guidance and will be basing what you are doing off that you should mention who you have worked with and under what system.
    I hadn't really been thinking we would be basing it on that, but thinking about it now I suppose it has been an influence on myself and 6th. Not sure if I should name who it was (iirc 6th didn't you ask around about him before the course and he is quiet well respected ?), I could only really describe the system as generic new agey stuff. That's not really doing him justice to be fair, the way he described himself is that he looks at everything and takes out the bits that are common and goes back to look at their roots and origins. As an example when discussing auras he would touch on everything from hinduism, buddhism , shamanic rituals, ancient chinese texts and so on and then we'd move on to practice some kind of simple basic technique that would be pretty non-denomonational new-agey stuff. It was all very thought provoking and neutral (neutral in a very good way if that's not a complete contradiction)

Scorplett wrote:
    I think it is vitally important, more so than considering content and format and topics etc etc that you three get togeather and draw up some sort of charter that covers ethics and morality, protection and legal matters and possibly a mission statement of sorts and take everything from there.
    The ethics of such a group are possibly the most important issue you guys have ahead of you. If you dont get that right and find a way to convey those ethical standards to those who attend then your boarding a sinking ship
    Another good point Scorplett, thanks.

ODonnell did you mention before having disclaimer forms that'd cover the legal end ?

I hadn't really considered laying down a statement covering the ethical/moral side of things, but it's a good idea. I can't help expecting people to view things closely enough to how I do, but I should really know better at this stage.

Mission statement, guidelines and disclaimers are all things we definately need, i can sort that out within reason and we can fine tune thiem to suit us.

stevenmu wrote:
    I was expecting that in some kind of giant font, I must be out of tune today :)

I was thinking about it and in red but really that is just tempting my Gods/fate far to ****ing much.
    /me looks about hoping they havn't noticed.

stevenmu wrote:
    I hadn't really been thinking we would be basing it on that, but thinking about it now I suppose it has been an influence on myself and 6th. Not sure if I should name who it was (iirc 6th didn't you ask around about him before the course and he is quiet well respected ?), I could only really describe the system as generic new agey stuff. That's not really doing him justice to be fair, the way he described himself is that he looks at everything and takes out the bits that are common and goes back to look at their roots and origins. As an example when discussing auras he would touch on everything from hinduism, buddhism , shamanic rituals, ancient chinese texts and so on and then we'd move on to practice some kind of simple basic technique that would be pretty non-denomonational new-agey stuff. It was all very thought provoking and neutral (neutral in a very good way if that's not a complete contradiction)

All the mores reason to acredit him tbh.

Scorplett's idea of a charter and code of ethics and a clearly lesson plan and meeting structure would to you the world of good.

Also a speak up policy.

ok well all 3 of use have checked this out:
    http://www.newagedirectory.com/psi/develop_circle.htm

Very good format, and easy to adapt.

What do you think Thaed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

6th wrote:
    ok well all 3 of use have checked this out:
    http://www.newagedirectory.com/psi/develop_circle.htm

Very good format, and easy to adapt.

What do you think Thaed?
    The banner on this page screams red sirens to me
    'psychic power- now!'
    really??? please tell me you dont take a site like this seriously, there are better more informative less corporation run sites out there. Besides, most of what they say there has been said on this forum anyhow.

i'm not looking at the banners i'm looking at the practicalities they are laying out. Diamonds can be found in piles of sh*te.

Jackie I'm removing your posts again. I do not wish to 'censor' you in any way, this simply is not the appropriate place for you to air your grievance. This thread is already dedicated to a different topic. Having your posts here means both that they will be overlooked by the site administrators, who are the only ones who can decide if they should be acted upon or not, and they will disrupt the topic already in place.

I do appreciate that you have tried to air your concerns politely, and I thank you for that. I also realise that you are new here and naturally are not familiar with the normal procedures in place. Normally as odonnell pointed out, if people have a problem with a particular forum they should try to PM the moderators in question and resolve it between them, if that fails then they hould start a thread on feedback. In this case though where your issue is with the existence of the foum itself, it is probably best to skip the pm step and go straight to feedback.

edit: Actually, it turns out I was able to move them into the thread in feedback so I didn't have to delete them after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

Had a quick read - didn't no wat to expect from a dev circle, but that format seems fine.. count me in..

Sandy2004 wrote:
    Had a quick read - didn't no wat to expect from a dev circle, but that format seems fine.. count me in..

Its a guideline format but i'm sure we'll (Stevenmu, Odonnell & myself) be getting together soon enough to start sorting it out. Just have to get the Paranormal trip to Ross Castle out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yechidah

I'm definitely interested in participating in this circle. I have a background in ceremonial magick, so am always up for improving my psychic skills, etc.

Keep us posted.

LLLSHJ,
    Yechidah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

It could help to work on finding a private place where you can hold your Circle as it progresses. Meeting in a public place for the first few times will help you get to know each other, get an idea of what directions you'll take, and help you sort out members, shared aims etc. But as you progress you may find a "Sacred Space" to work in regularly helps your personal development. Your combined energies will build up Energy in this place and it's usually much easier to work in the same place as you'll create a Source of Spiritual Energy there. Best of luck with it.

Yechidah wrote:
    I'm definitely interested in participating in this circle. I have a background in ceremonial magick, so am always up for improving my psychic skills, etc.

Keep us posted.

LLLSHJ,
    Yechidah.
    Thanks for replying Yechidah, we'd be glad to have you along. You might find we're a bit beginner-ish for you, especially at first, but I am looking forward to finding out more about ceremonial magic(k).

We'll be having some kind of a meetup later this month, just to get to know everyone who'll be involved, I'll keep you posted.
    mysteria wrote:
    It could help to work on finding a private place where you can hold your Circle as it progresses. Meeting in a public place for the first few times will help you get to know each other, get an idea of what directions you'll take, and help you sort out members, shared aims etc. But as you progress you may find a "Sacred Space" to work in regularly helps your personal development. Your combined energies will build up Energy in this place and it's usually much easier to work in the same place as you'll create a Source of Spiritual Energy there. Best of luck with it.
    Thanks for the advice, that's pretty much what we're planning. We'll be having a few informal meetings (not that any will actually be 'formal' but you know what I mean), probably in a pub somewhere to get to know each other first. We'll be arranging a quiet room out of the way somewhere then that we can use for the actuall group meetings, we have a few places in mind already for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yechidah

Not at all, stevenmu - I am sure I can learn just as much from all of you as you can from me. I look forward to our first "meetup".

LLLSHJ,
    Yechidah.

• Advertisement

ok So as it stands we have 8 interested people, not a bad start at all. I was talking to a woman recently who will also be starting a circle in and around september. Might be nice in the future for us to pop along top hers and her to pop along to ours, get a really sense of community.

Advertisement