Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitutions

• 29-06-2006 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

I recentley made my fav pie (key lime pie) for a friends birthday... Went down a treat as usual. Only prob was that her other half cant eat dairy... Now even tho I might not like it, you can sub goats, soya or rice for dairy but thing is I use sweetened condensed milk... Can anyone tell me what the process is for making condensed milk so that I might come up with some sort of soloution or does anyone know of a suitable alternative...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_milk

I'm not sure how any of the milk substitutes would handle being treated in the same way, however. You might just end up with a solid dry lump of soya protein for example :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Try this in the Vegan forum there is someone there who makes their own milk substitutes from nuts and stuff maybe they can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Moved. :)

You know, there's this egg free meringue mix some I know w/ PKU uses, it's meant to be fab. I wonder if this could help? If instead of a straight up Key Lime you made a sort of lime curd for the bottom & meringue for the top like a lemon meringue pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

where do you get these egg free meringue mix thingies... It might be well worh a bash but I would reckon to mix the lime curd with well broken meringue... That could be good.
    Thanks Shabadu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I know they order it in from France. I can't see anything on Google about it, but give me a few days & I'll try to get some info for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I had vegan key lime pie in a restaurant recently and it was fantastic so it has to be possible.
    I have a recipe for key lime cheescake from a book called Vegan Planet if you are interested I can reproduce it. It uses Tofu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Mentalmiss, would you mind sharing the name of the restaurant??? I might go check it out... Is the recipe you have a 'baked' cheesecake or not... It could work cause its still working with the semi-fredo concept.
    Thanks for the suggestions

scorplett wrote:
    Mentalmiss, would you mind sharing the name of the restaurant??? I might go check it out... Is the recipe you have a 'baked' cheesecake or not... It could work cause its still working with the semi-fredo concept.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    I am sorry but it was called Grass Roots and it was in Tampa Florida so it will not be much help. You could email and ask for the recepie. I had a chat with the owner operators and they were really nice so maybe they would give it to you.

This recipe is courtesy of The Green Cutting Board

The Green Cutting Board's Vegan Key Lime Pie

Graham Cracker Crust:

1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    6 tbls soft vegan soy spread
    Filling:

12 ounces firm tofu
    1/3 c powdered sugar
    1/4 c Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice
    zest of 1 large lime
    Garnish:

4 ounces firm tofu
    2 tbls raw sugar
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    Preparation:

Crush graham crackers in a bag until they are a course texture. In a bowl thoroughly combine cracker crumbs and soft soy spread. Line a 9" pie pan with the graham cracker mixture and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Puree 12 ounces of firm tofu in a food processor until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the key lime juice and 1/3 c powdered sugar. Continue to blend until smooth and pour into chilled pie crust. Garnish with lime zest and refrigerate for 2 hours, overnight is better.

Puree 4 ounces of tofu. Add raw sugar, vanilla and continue to blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Garnish the pie with whipped soy cream and serve.

Serves 6-8

PS. I think that digestive bickies will so as a sub for the graham crackers

Mango-Key Lime Pie with Coconut Crust

INGREDIENTS

Coconut Crust
    1 - 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1/3 cup brown rice syrup, fruit source syrup, or maple syrup
    Filling
    1 1/2 cups soy milk
    2 tablespoon agar flakes
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1 ripe medium mango, about 450 grams / 1 pound, peeled and pitted
    2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
    Water
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    5 to 7 key limes or 2 to 3 regular limes
    1/2 cup fruitsource syrup or brown rice malt syrup, or part pure maple syrup
    Candied Macadamia Nuts
    16 macadamia nuts, toasted (they usually come roasted and salted, rinse them first in cool water to remove salt)
    Brown rice syrup or fruitsource syrup to barely cover
    Topping
    1 ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise off pit
    3 kiwi fruit, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise

METHOD
    Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
    To prepare the crust, grind graham crackers with coconut in a food processor. Pulse in the oil and then the sweetener. The consistency should be such that the ingredients hold together when squeezed between your fingers. Add a little more sweetener if necessary. Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled 25 centimeter / 10 inch pie pan and press it to cover the bottom and sides. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. If the crust buckles, gently press it back down after it cools.

To prepare the filling, place the soy milk, agar, and salt in a 1 liter / 1 quart saucepan. Stir to submerge the agar. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Do not cover the pot. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching and watch for foaming upon boiling. Turn the heat low and simmer until the agar dissolves, about 5 minutes.

Blend the mango until smooth. Makes 1 cup puree.

Dissolve the arrowroot in water to cover and add it to the pot. Whisk until somewhat thickened and smooth. Turn heat off. Whisk in lime juice, sweetener, and mango puree.

Transfer filling to pie shell. Refrigerate until set, 45-60 minutes. Gels at room temperature in about 1 1/2 hours.

To prepare the nuts, mix nuts with sweetener and transfer to an oiled pie pan. Bake until dry, 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool, then scrape nuts off sheet. Soak sheet in water for ease in cleaning.

To prepare the topping, peel mango and kiwi with a vegetable peeler. Arrange slices spoke-fashion and slightly overlapping over filling. Place nuts in center of pie, letting a few fall where they may. For a simpler topping, omit fruit. Instead, coarsely chop macadamia or cashew nuts and sprinkle over surface.

NOTES
    A choice of sweeteners is given because the light color from Fruitsource syrup or brown rice malt syrup allows for a pie with a more authentic light yellow color from the mango puree than does maple syrup, although maple syrup tastes the best even when used in such a small amount

• Advertisement
Advertisement