Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT and Motorola WR850G

• 29-06-2006 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭

I have BT Broadband at home and I have this modem. my problem is i cant get it to work together. I have a feeling it isnt compatible with ADSL. can someone verify my suspicions?

this is the modem:
    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wr850g/

thanks for your help.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yeah, it's just a router.

You want a modem router, or else hook up the BT modem (if you got one) to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

theres the phone line, then that goes to the BT modem. hen the BT modem goes into that router.
    is there a way i can maybe go to the configuration IP and configure it to work? i think the IP is sumtin like 192.168.1.1 as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Yeah you need to set the BT modem to Bridged.
    You can do that via the web config thingy. (i think)

Once thats done configure your wireless router to use a PPPoE connection and enter your user/pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

The_B_Man wrote:
    theres the phone line, then that goes to the BT modem. hen the BT modem goes into that router.
    is there a way i can maybe go to the configuration IP and configure it to work? i think the IP is sumtin like 192.168.1.1 as far as i know.
    One thing at a time.

A "Broadband Router" can be used with any type of broadband connection - wireless, cable or DSL. That means that it's "outside" port is just ethernet, and it doesn't know anything specific about the mechanics of DSL, or cable or wireless transmission, and you still need a device that is specific to your type of broadband to convert the DSL/cable/wireless broadband signal into a bg standard ethernet signal. So devices that are described as "Broadband Routers" won't work on their own.

You should be able to "talk to" the Motorola even if it's not connected to the internet, so connect your PCs ethernet port to one of the routers LAN ports, and (assuming your PC is configured to get an IP ddress automatically), you should be able to connect to the router to configure it. (Open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG. The address of the "Default Gateway" will be the address of the router, and you should be able to type that address into your web browser to acess the routers control panel.

(You can do this with a wireless configuration too, but use a wired connection for the initial setup if possible).

Once you're satisfied that you can talk to the router, you need to decide how to use it with the "modem" that BT provided. It's a router too, and you can make it work wth the Motorola, but it's probably best to put the BT "modem" in bridged mode as Diabolus suggested, and configure the Motorola to log you into the BT network.

Advertisement