Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anomolies

• 29-06-2006 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,786 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a chopper in flight over Skerries.

Anyone else with unusual finds - Irish or otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

This is Reykjavik in Iceland and what's circled looks like a Concord in flight or something - but it must be just a big reflection:

img7ws1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

This is North west of Paris:

plane8ud.jpg

What's with the blue shadow?

I've no idea. Go to the coordinates and see for yourself

I found out why..kinda.
    This was posted on google earth community by someone. I dont understand it at all but maybe you will:

"The satellite that takes most of Google Earth image is Ikonos it employs linear array CCDs. One set takes panchromatic images (grey scale) at 0.83 meters per pixel and the second set takes multi spectral images (MSI) at 3.2 meters per pixel. The MSI imager because of physical location on the satellite images are acquired later in time. The MSI takes the colored components at a lower resolution, either Red, green, blue or it swaps one for near infra-red. Just like color TV it takes advantage of the eyes chromatic sensitivities.

These images are time re-aligned on the ground on the assumption that there are no moving objects in the field of view. As a consequence any moving object will have a colored image that appears ahead of the moving object and at lower resolutions. These images are double exposures.

If you look on highways closely where you know vehicles are traveling at 60 plus mph you will observe the same red and blue shadows"

They dont teach that stuff in Leaving Cert Physics..:D :D:D:D:D ...Thank God

• Advertisement

Heheh, yeah it's a bit confusing...

This isn't 'unusual' but here's the Hollywood sign:

img5ch.jpg

This, according to Google, is a KC-135R refueling a C-5 plane in mid-air :eek:

img8rk.jpg

And here's a building in California built in the shape of the NAZI Swasticka :eek: !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Dave.jpg
    It's Dave :)

fossilhippos3wh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

whassupp2 wrote:
    fossilhippos3wh.jpg
    :O

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Possibly another chopper ?? This ones over the Annacotty/Castletroy area near Limerick city,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

my.php?image=silocuba9ry.jpg
    Some sort of missile silo in Cuba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

or just some regular devil worshipper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Here's a plane approaching Dublin airport. Hardly an anomoly, but kinda cool anyway - if you're a plane geek like me :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lancaster bomber in flight over Huntingdon in England.

Lancaster.kmz

Not too sure about attaching the kmz thingies so if that didn't work the co-ordinates are 52°10'10.91"N 0°11'43.21"W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

giant_profanity.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Very suitable icon toxof ;)

zaph wrote:
    Lancaster bomber in flight over Huntingdon in England.

Lancaster.kmz

Not too sure about attaching the kmz thingies so if that didn't work the co-ordinates are 52°10'10.91"N 0°11'43.21"W

That worked fine zaph, and to be honest I think this is the best way to share Google Earth examples since you can see it live for yourself in Google Earth. Screenshots just don't have the same appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Hill Billy wrote:
    Here's a chopper in flight over Skerries.

Anyone else with unusual finds - Irish or otherwise?

Possibly another chopper ?? This ones over the
    Annacotty/Castletroy area near Limerick city,

These are not choppers. It's an artifact caused by the a sun shining on a reflective surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,786 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

These are not choppers. It's an artifact caused by the a sun shining on a reflective surface.

Kinda thought that when I saw bacon&cabbage's one was pretty identical & on the same bearing. Fcek it - I feel like a magpie now - getting all excited over shiny things that aren't worth a curse. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

high seas.kmz

high seas

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

newbie2 wrote:
    high seas.kmz

high seas

i presume you mean the elevation, when u take i side view ? looks like the sea is rising up . this happens a lot when there are mountains on the coast, looks like they went a bit mad when modeling the contours ect.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

m_stan wrote:
    That worked fine zaph, and to be honest I think this is the best way to share Google Earth examples since you can see it live for yourself in Google Earth. Screenshots just don't have the same appeal.

Funnily enough, when I click on it or any other kmz I get an error message and it doesn't jump to the location. Do I need some particular setting or have to download a patch to get them to work?

zaph wrote:
    Funnily enough, when I click on it or any other kmz I get an error message and it doesn't jump to the location. Do I need some particular setting or have to download a patch to get them to work?

mmm. works for me. I'd download the latest version and install if I were you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Spotted on the southeast corner of the M50 Ballymun interchange. A maze?

newbie2 wrote:
    high seas.kmz

high seas

am I missing something here ? What am I looking at ? A cloud ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,786 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Use the tilt button to view what he's on about.

ah now I see it. doh ! tis a good'un

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I saw something around norway one time. Looked like a thargoid ship. Was pretty big and the spray behind it seemed to suggest it was a boat of some kind. Really bizarrie looking. Tried to find it since. No joy :/

Advertisement