Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Irezumi

Options
  • 29-06-2006 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Im currently working in Tokyo and sometimes when I'm a bit stressed after work one of the things I like to do to relax is to take a trip to the local sento. This is basically a Japanese bath, and its customary for the men to be naked while washing and bathing.

One of the things Ive noticed while there is some of the stunning irezumi displayed by some guys. These used to be illegal in the public baths but in recent times the rules have relaxed (this is due to the criminal associations attached to having a tattoo in Japan, notably the Yakuza). Some of the designs are simply stunning, the intricacy and stories contained in each irezumi is amazing. Of course, the real thing is very difficult to obtain and unbelievably expensive but I came across some Japanese websites showing galleries of their works and they sre pretty amazing as well. The effort and attention to detail is mind boggling.

Enjoy

Gallery 1

Gallery 2

Gallery 3

My Favourite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If I lived in the orient there is no doubt in my mind but that I would try to get work done by Hiroyishi, but living over here there's no point.

Irezumi really is the top of the art, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I am going to Japan in October or November and hope to hook up with some artists I met recently when they visited Melbourne in May.

Here is an interesting page on Japanese tattoos.

http://www.tao-of-tattoos.com/japanese-tattoos.html

Advertisement