Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Week Another Report . Ireland Still ****e

Options
  • 29-06-2006 9:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Number #68 in this dismal ongoing series of weekly reports about Ireland.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single6668

This time its surely the governments fault. The government is not pushing key services onto the web any more.
    The survey showed that some 50pc of a range of 20 basic public services for citizens and businesses — including income tax and social security benefits — are now available online in Ireland. This is the same level of 50pc that Ireland scored two years ago.

The usual suspects are now ahead of us or passing us
    Ireland has slipped from 12th place last year to 15th place this year in the league table of online public services available, behind Austria, Estonia, Malta, Sweden and Norway.

Most e-wotsits in Ireland do not even support the síne fada properly which is a damning indictment of their procurement philosophies.

Someone tell them to buy more PCs with síne fada capabilities in there , and a few servers as well :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Do you mean the áéúíó letters?

If so you just hold AltGr while pressing the vowel. maybe their IT trainers don't know that. Unless they are running text terminals on old mainframes or Win95 or DOS etc.

I had a deprived childhood. They tried to teach me Latin & Rugby instead of Irish and Hurling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote:
    Do you mean the áéúíó letters?
    :D LOL :D quite
    If so you just hold AltGr while pressing the vowel. maybe their IT trainers don't know that. Unless they are running text terminals on old mainframes or Win95 or DOS etc.
    ah no Watty the input initially appears correctly. its what happens between you inputting a name correcly on a site such as revenue.ie , Seán would be an example, and what happens between the form and the database and what happens the next time its pulled out of the database that is the test.

Many Irish Government e-wotsits are bought in from from the US and the UK and cannot handle correctly spelt Irish names such as Seán ...for example becuase the spec is rubbish and becuase the dopes in the civil service do not know what ISO-8859-1 is as distinct from 7 bit ascii which does not support those characters.

I'm sure the Estonians do not make such mistakes .
    I had a deprived childhood. They tried to teach me Latin & Rugby instead of Irish and Hurling.
    a grammar school laddie are we :D

Advertisement