Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Desktop

Options
  • 29-06-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering where I stand on this one. Purchased a new Dell machine, one of the lower spec ones a Dimension 3100, just got standard 1 year collect and return. Got the machine, straight out of the box it was blue screening, so I decided to wipe it, half way through the reinstall it blue screens again. I run a few diagnostics on the hardware, got errors on the memory and the system board so definetly a hardware problem. Spoke to there tech support people they agree its a hardware issue however they are saying I am just entitled to a collect and return which can take up to 10 working days which leaves me with no machine.

Am I entitled to a replacment machine as there was a hardware fault with the machine straight out of the box? I would have thought I would have been covered by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 which would entitle me to a refund/replacement however I am not sure. Anyone have and advice???

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

yes you are entitled to a new system, you have a 7 day period to report the fault, over that dell will attempt to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Under the act, they can repair it. You're not automatically entitled to a replacement. Although it would be good customer service to replace a DOA with a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

actually, and i'm assuming as this is an out of box issue it is under 7 days old, if that is the case they 'cannot' refuse you a replacement system, ask to speak to a supervisor if they insist on a repair.

Yes they can. THere's nothing in the act that specifies a seven day limit.
    The OP can insist on a refund as it was defective upon delivery but they can't insist on a new PC.

From the ODCA website;
    If the reason for the complaint is not trivial and is discovered soon after purchase, the consumer is entitled to reject the goods and insist on a full refund provided prompt action is action is taken.
    There are no hard and fast rules as each case has to be considered on its merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You've only just got the machine, what were you using beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I am working as a sys admin in a small company, this was a my new machine, my old one is in use by somebody else already. We do have an account manager however he is basically saying its tech supports call. Contacted the ODCA and their advice was vague enough, though they did say I would I could threaten them with legal action and see what happens as they felt I had a case, though I rather not go down that road unless I was sure I was right.

Tell them they either replace the machine or you want a full refund, which you are entitled to.
    Then buy a new one again!

From the act;

(2) Where—

( b ) the buyer, promptly upon discovering the breach, makes a request to the seller that he either remedy the breach or replace any goods which are not in conformity with the condition,
    then, if the seller refuses to comply with the request or fails to do so within a reasonable time, the buyer is entitled:
    (i) to reject the goods and repudiate the contract, or
    (ii) to have the defect constituting the breach remedied elsewhere and to maintain an action against the seller for the cost thereby incurred by him.

Thats what I was thinking. Can you cancel the PC completely as defective. Return it and get a refund. Then order a new one? Tell them you are going to do this and buy one from PC World. See if that gets them moving. (unlikely).

Problem is anything that happens return/replace/repair will take time. If downtime was critical you should have got got same day support/replacement. At the very least you should have got the new machine set up and burnt in for 24 hours before giving the old one away. There should always be spare old machine in the office for emergencies.

Its cheaper to buy a 2nd spare new machine instead of paying for PC rental or even the extra support on all your other PC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Thanks for the advice, I agree with the spare PC option, however we have just had a flood of new joiners hence the no spare pcs. In a couple of weeks time we will have a a good few people leaving and have loads of spare machines hence we didn't order any spare, was under pressure to have a pc ready for a new user hence gave my old one to them as soon as I can.

As regards having a better support plan I think it shouldn't matter as if a machine is DOA IMO then it should be replaced however Dell disagree.

Anyway I just sent off another email so we will see what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Look

ring dell today (now before lunch)

dell collect tomorrow
    back tuesday in my experience with new parts

run 1 day induction monday for new join

chill

• Advertisement

Kick a new joiner off their PC and return the PC and cancel the order as Dell are being morons about it. Well some support drone is being a moron anyway. The new joiner can read a manual or something. One company I joined I was 2 weeks before I got a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Ive had the very same problem with a Dell machine. ive been running their tests for 2 weeks. Its an obvious hardware issue. They now want to send an Engineer out sometime next week. I demanded an eng visit tomorrow or a replacement tomorrow or I want a refund.. simple as that. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Advertisement