Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Contract

Options
  • 29-06-2006 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a vodafone contract which is now expired although I am still on the same rates/offer. I am intending to move to O2 on another offer but vodafone says I have to give 28 days notice. I was wondering do I have to give 28 days notice even though the contract is out of date. It states this in the contact under the terms and conditions.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you dont have to give notice if you just port to 02, no need to cancel the voda contract just go into 02 and sign up and take ur number

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cyrus, do you have a source for that information? Sounds like very dodgy advice imho.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well I hope he is kinda right. With bill pay and especially since my contract is up and out of date, I assume the contract together with its terms and conditions are null and void. So I dont have to give them diddly poop and say "Ciao"

sounds dodgy in what sense?

i have the same scenario, my meteor contract is up a few months now, im porting to three, i rang up and asked should i cancel my contract, they said yeah but we need a letter and 28 days notice.

I saud but if i port i dont need to send you a letter and they said yeah i know to be honest you would be better off porting.

im not sure why this sounds dodgy to you? id like if you could explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I changed from Vodafone to Meteor last year, and I was out of contract with Vodafone. I rang up Vodafone and there were no issues with changing, no need for notice. They sorted out a last bill and I ported with no probs.

Ring Vodafone customer care and ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Don't ring up Vod's customer care. They'll tell you lies to stop you moving.
    Cyrus is 100% correct on this one. Just go in and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Cheers for replies. I take yer word for it!!!!
    I rang customer care the other day and they were spouting ****e like" send an email with you name ,dob,when you want to leave and give us 28 days notice", I said thats ****e cause my contract is up, and he is going why you want to leave, who you want to go to blah blah.

I've heard of several people that continued to be billed after their number was ported to another provider. Perhaps number porting has been improved, but I'd still like to see a factual source for this assertion.

I certainly wouldn't trust Vodafone to cancel my account on faith.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I certainly wouldn't trust Vodafone to cancel my account on faith.

I agree,just make sure that you get a letter confirming the account is closed.

how can they bill you on a number thats not on their network any more?

the same number cannot exist on two networks

• Advertisement

Ask your telephone supplier the next time you decide to move your number. They bill for the service, not the number.

adam

when you port your number the company taking the number has to inform the other provider they are taking the number

and if you no longer use a number provided by vodafone you arent getting any service

its hardly rocket science

Like I said, tell that to a landline provider. All I've seen so far is opinion, I'll be happy to believe it when I see some evidence.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rambler

I moved from 02 to vodafone last year, still had a month to go on my 02 contract but they never followed me up for it, just sent out final bill for calls to date of cancel. Did get a call asking why I moved and all sorts of offers but I didn't take them up on it, guess they don't want to hassel too much in case in future you might look at returning to them.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Like I said, tell that to a landline provider. All I've seen so far is opinion, I'll be happy to believe it when I see some evidence.

adam

why bother, we are taking about mobiles,

you havent seen opinion

i port my number every 12 months, ive been with voda, o2, meteor and soon will be with three, never had a problem, Fact

Well, why didn't you say that earlier then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I read the Vodafone's T's and C's last week.

Vodafone will your account properly cancelled after
    28 days notice, or
    Completion of the porting process to another provider.

In either case, if you still have an outstanding contract, you'll have to buy out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cyrus wrote:
    you dont have to give notice if you just port to 02, no need to cancel the voda contract just go into 02 and sign up and take ur number

You still pay the 28 days notice period in rental. You can leave at anytime but the 28 days notice essentially applies.

i dont think thats correct jesus, at least i never did, once ur port is complete before ur new billing date

You still pay the 28 days notice period in rental. You can leave at anytime but the 28 days notice essentially applies.
    Rental is paid in advance. I'm not sure (in fact I doubt) if you get any rental refunded if you port over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

your contract is for a year and the T&C's apply to that. Once that is up there is no way that Vodafone can enforce the 28 day rule as you don't have a contract with them only a billing arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

I happened to port to O2 from Vodafone the same day as my bill was issued, (i imagine the bill was issued before i actually ported but its dated the same day (start of June)). I was invoiced for the full month's rental cahrge up to
    7th July and the text bundle charge. Then I got another bill with a charge for 8th - 9th charge for €1.60 for rental! Are you entitled to a refund of the rental/service charges for the month (June - July), becuase the way I read the Vodfone t&c, porting supercedes the need to give 28 days notice

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Cyrus wrote:
    i port my number every 12 months, ive been with voda, o2, meteor and soon will be with three, never had a problem, Fact
    You dirty little slapper!!!

I work for one of the networks retail stores, all you do is come in with the correct id and we do everything for you, it's the same with all networks. You don't have to inform your current network, the network you are moving to will organise everything from that end. You'll get a final bill from your current network for calls from your last bill up until you move networks, just be careful you are out of contract, as they may well bill you for any months left in your contract (I once saw someone port out after two months with a certain network and then get a massive bill).

If you're porting to Vodafone billpay, you will need something with your current address on it. Probably best to bring in your last bill from your current provider. I assume it's teh same with all providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Generally moving from bill to bill you need your last bill from that network.

Advertisement