Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in the attic

Options
  • 29-06-2006 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

For many years birds have been hanging tround the house at this time of year.

This year I powerwashed the roof down and cleaned the gutters and for they seem to be getting in under the tiles at the edge. There was nothing I did to the roof this year to make them do this that they couldn't have done last year.

They will have the attic destroyed. Why are they doing this?

Ive seen things you plug in that emit a high pitched tone inaudible to the human ear to keep mice away. Is there something similiar for birds?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Surely you can see where they are getting in? Just stand out in your garden long enough. If not possibly they are trapped?

Go up to the attic. If they know their way out they will leave and you can see how they got in.

Those devices that emit supersonic sound do not effect birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

There getting in in two or three places. Its like as if all the birds are at the same thing or have gained new intelligence. Id say there is more than one nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What kind of birds are they?

nipplenuts wrote:
    What kind of birds are they?

Haven't a clue tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would check the attic to see if they are actually in there or just nesting under the roof tiles. If its the latter they wont do any harm.

If they are in the attic check for nests but I wouldnt disturb them. If there are nests and/or eggs I would leave well enough alone and wait for the chicks to fly and then seal up their point of entry.

If you dont care too much about birds throw the cat into the attic for a day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

junii wrote:
    They will have the attic destroyed.

How? Are they parrots or budgies (sharp beaks)? They are probably nesting. Bird droppings make a good insulator. Watch Hitchcock's 'The Birds' for peace of mind. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

They're more likely to be Starlings and agree with Muffler:
    muffler wrote:
    If you dont care too much about birds throw the cat into the attic for a day

sure to scare the ....outta them, but according to the new regs, cats on duty in attics must wear Hi-Viz vests at all times !!

mmm, ill check tomorrow to see if I can see their nests. I have no cat but I wouldn't do that anyway.

Advertisement