Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know these games?

Options
  • 29-06-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to remember the name of two games I played on my old Atari ST years ago. I've no idea if they was released in arcades or on other systems.

Basically the first was a sideways beat-em-up type thing, kind of like altered beast and shinobi style. You played a cop that for some reason beat up an almost endless horde of bad guys. You could pick up weapons to smack people up and everynow and again you'd be able to pick up a gun. Granted, it sounds like any of a thousand similar games, but what made it stand out was the second level.

Once you reached the second level, the gameplay knid of changed. You walked through a sewer and were attacked by mutants. You had a huge M60 machine gun and endless ammo so you just blew the hell out of everything. The mutants could crawl along the roof too, so pushing up would no longer let you jump like in level one, but instead you'd angle you gun upwards and shoot the mutants off.

Never made it to level 3 so I don't know what happens there.

The second game is one that I barely remember. Again, you were some sort of cop. You went around beating up guys who would drop drugs and then you'd head off to a trashcan that's on fire and you dump the drugs in there. You could go to different areas in a city and could go back and forth as you please. I't a rubbish descrition, I know, but I'm hungover and tired and can't remember anything else about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Remember the games , but cannot place a name

If you want, trawl through this archive - you might come across it

http://www.atari.st/games.php

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lol, yeah that's exactly what I'm doing now. It may take forever, but, By Hoff, I'll find their names!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fairly certain the second game is Narc. Not sure about the first though.

Nope dont think its Narc - the bin with the fire is throwing me off, as even in the arcade you never did that - you just shot everyone and took their drugs/cash

Yeah it's not Narc.

I think there were various 1 screen areas that you'd beat up the bad guys and collect their stuff. You could go on to other screens and still go back to the last one. It was kind of Final Fight type movement, where you could walk in a more 3 dimensional way as opposed to sideways scrollers (I probably just confused everyone with that jibberish!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i remember the 1st one but not the name sadly its killing me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

could you pick up big pillars and they broke down the more you used them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Was it called Slaughterhouse by any chance?

superfly wrote:
    could you pick up big pillars and they broke down the more you used them?

I don't remember anything like that. Can't be sure, but it doesn't sound like something from this game.
    Blub2k4 wrote:
    Was it called Slaughterhouse by any chance?

Isn't that the one with the main character wearing a hockeymask running around killing zombies on the megadrive? I don't think that's the name of either of these ones, though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

that game with the guy with the hockey mask killing zombies was called splatterhouse and not slaughterhouse sorry got no idea bout that game you're talkin about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

it wasn't the punisher was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nah, The Punisher was nothing like the OP described...

The first game the OP is talking about the first level was a street level, where with your M60 you faced off against different bad guys including some cheap ass ed209 knock offs. Your character wore combat trousers and the worst crew cut ever (and no it aint Gryzor)

(is the above description right?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Is the first game Midnight resistance?

its definitely not Midnight Resistance, as you had a gun at the very start of each level

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could it be Narco police, Technocop or cybercop?

Dont think so

Technocop - went from car driving scene to side scrolling building to capture/kill the boss

Cybercop - Nope (http://www.atari.st/view.php?id=393)

Narco Police - nope (http://www.atari.st/view.php?id=1148)

I know the game the OP is talking about, just cant put a name to it - see my previous post for a description of the game

Ph3n0m wrote:
    The first game the OP is talking about the first level was a street level, where with your M60 you faced off against different bad guys including some cheap ass ed209 knock offs. Your character wore combat trousers and the worst crew cut ever (and no it aint Gryzor)

(is the above description right?)

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell. I'm pretty sure there were no robots in it. And the M60 only appeared in the second level. In the first it was a simple punch/kick kind of thing unless you picked up either a pipe or stick or pistol.
    LoGiE wrote:
    Is the first game Midnight resistance?

Sorry, it's not that either
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Could it be Narco police, Technocop or cybercop?

Definitely not the first or third and I can't find a screen shot of the middle one, but it doesn't sound right for the type game I'm thinking of.

Well thanks for your suggestions so far. I'll keep searching and post if I find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

You could drive a car in Narc... the whole thing looked awfull but funny.

Can anyone remember a game in the arcade where you were a cartoony lookin kid with a big hammer... you had to hit builders I think?

Can anyone remember a game in the arcade where you were a cartoony lookin kid with a big hammer... you had to hit builders I think?

Are you talking about Wonderboy?

• Advertisement

Nah man but it was really like it. It was set on a city street.. the kid had a big hammer the size of his head.

Nah man but it was really like it. It was set on a city street.. the kid had a big hammer the size of his head.

Wonderboy 2? :D

Hammering harry?

To OP: I'm pretty sure the second game you talking about is called
    Operation :Clean Streets
    Still no idea about the first.... Any more details come to mind?

LoGiE wrote:
    To OP: I'm pretty sure the second game you talking about is called
    Operation :Clean Streets
    Still no idea about the first.... Any more details come to mind?

LoGie you did it!!!!!! Thank christ! It was MAnhatten Dealers whe I had it. If you get to the next Boards Beers, I owe you a pint!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LoGiE wrote:
    Hammering harry?

Google Images says yes!

hharry.gif

THANK YOU! Yer a gent.

You can both thank years of playing emulators on my PC;)

LoGiE wrote:
    You can both thank years of playing emulators on my PC;)

Long may they continue! :D

Advertisement