Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining Netopia Wireless routers

• 29-06-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭

Friend has a problem with his wireless signal reaching a second PC.
    He is using a Netopia 3347NWG. Distance/walls are the problem.

He has a spare 3347NWG is it possible to set both of them up
    on the same ssid/network in order to extend the signal.

i.e

PC1
    Netopia1
    Netopia2
    PC2

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Should have said, i know you can do it using ethernet ports but i'm looking to join them using wireless

Wonder if i give them both the same ssid, authentication and same ip within same range will that work?

has anyone tried this before?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Two routers with the same IP will not work. In fact, I don't think two routers in the same subnet will work, unless one is in bridge mode. This might work if they were connected by ethernet but I don't think a wireless router can join another wireless network. I think his only option is to drill a hole and run a cable through it.

jor el wrote:
    Two routers with the same IP will not work. .

Yeah sorry badly phrased..

I know you can join 2 router via ethernet as long as you use a cross over cable, wondering if there is something similar with wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

The Fool wrote:
    Yeah sorry badly phrased..

I know you can join 2 router via ethernet as long as you use a cross over cable, wondering if there is something similar with wireless.
    Unless one of the Netopias is listening for a SSID that it can connect to, I doubt that it will work. A wireless client has to initiate some sort of connection sequence with a "server" (such as a router), but I don't think a "server" will automatically try to connect to another "server".

You might be better off asking on the Wireless board, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement