Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any suggestions for me new business?

Options
  • 29-06-2006 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Just startin a wee business repairin computers in a small town and printed out a load of flyers with the pull off my number at the bottem! 2 weeks only one call but loads of people have pulled off numbers! done a wee check!! So obviously they are takin them and forgetting them! So I thought hows about a wee promotion or somethin "if you ring before 15th July" type promotion! But what would be a good promotion? Has anyone been through this? What did they do when setting up? Hows business? Thanks a million in advance to the brainy lad who comes up with an answer! :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

maybe offer a free security check / setup for all customers:

install ad-aware , avg anti virus , and give the system a scan clean up whatever's there and leave it installed on their boxes both are free so wont cost you anything either and will only take about 10 minutes

and the customer will think yer the dogs bollix (or the one's who aren't exactly tech savvie and scared ****less of viurses etc will - trust me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

jtiernan wrote:
    Just startin a wee business repairin computers in a small town and printed out a load of flyers with the pull off my number at the bottem! 2 weeks only one call but loads of people have pulled off numbers! done a wee check!! So obviously they are takin them and forgetting them! So I thought hows about a wee promotion or somethin "if you ring before 15th July" type promotion! But what would be a good promotion? Has anyone been through this? What did they do when setting up? Hows business? Thanks a million in advance to the brainy lad who comes up with an answer! :D

Its the sort of thing people dont think about unless they need it. Even if you offer a promotion (for what?), unless someone has a computer that needs repairing its not of much interest to them.

Do you offer any other services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

miju wrote:
    maybe offer a free security check / setup for all customers:

install ad-aware , avg anti virus , and give the system a scan clean up whatever's there and leave it installed on their boxes both are free so wont cost you anything either and will only take about 10 minutes

and the customer will think yer the dogs bollix (or the one's who aren't exactly tech savvie and scared ****less of viurses etc will - trust me)

Yah thought of that one, using avg as well. Good idea!! But only just put that up!! Will see how it goes... Also doing fixes for very cheap as an intial setup ;)

homeOwner wrote:
    Its the sort of thing people dont think about unless they need it. Even if you offer a promotion (for what?), unless someone has a computer that needs repairing its not of much interest to them.

Do you offer any other services?

More often than not! I find heard through conversation, people just do not know that they need it and are scared by being ripped off which I see happens a lot! One lady rang me and told me that she got a quote of 900 euro for a damaged hard disk :eek: She declined!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

my mates father got charged 300 euro to format and reinstal a legit copy of winxp! from one of these IT people !

MADNESS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Try and address problems they may have in your advert

"Sick of internet pop up ads?"
    "Can't print?"
    "Deleted a file by mistake?"

things like that.

There are probably loads of things wrong with people's computers that they don't even realise! Try and point out that computing should not be a hassle!

whizzbang wrote:
    Try and address problems they may have in your advert

"Sick of internet pop up ads?"
    "Can't print?"
    "Deleted a file by mistake?"

things like that.

There are probably loads of things wrong with people's computers that they don't even realise! Try and point out that computing should not be a hassle!

damn I left them out! kinda used up space for the obvious promotions!! good points! You just reminded me of stuff I can do :D

Drapper wrote:
    my mates father got charged 300 euro to format and reinstal a legit copy of winxp! from one of these IT people !

MADNESS

Did he supply the package? As in did your father buy the package already and give it to him to install?

jtiernan wrote:
    Did he supply the package? As in did your father buy the package already and give it to him to install?

Because a new package already costs 250 odd if you do not have it! Although there are ways around having to format, buy and clean install!! ;)

example http://www.shopireland.ie/software/detail/B00005O45B/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

jtiernan wrote:
    damn I left them out! kinda used up space for the obvious promotions!! good points! You just reminded me of stuff I can do :D

glad I could help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

One lady rang me and told me that she got a quote of 900 euro for a damaged hard disk She declined!!

Well IF its going to a clean room due to a physical\mechanical issue, €900 isnt actaully that bad.

@jtiernan:

Are you doing this fulltime? Have you put together a business plan?

Dont forget to offer training, things that are trivial to you or I such as digital cameras, MP3 players, email the grandson in OZ etc can be a big deal to less savvy people. A lot of people feel (rightly) that courses such as the ECDL is irrelevant to them. One to One training is a good area to go for.

Well IF its going to a clean room due to a physical\mechanical issue, €900 isnt actaully that bad.

@jtiernan:

Are you doing this fulltime? Have you put together a business plan?

Dont forget to offer training, things that are trivial to you or I such as digital cameras, MP3 players, email the grandson in OZ etc can be a big deal to less savvy people. A lot of people feel (rightly) that courses such as the ECDL is irrelevant to them. One to One training is a good area to go for.

kinda testing the water first! working from home then gonna see what the story is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The IT Training was the additional option I was going to suggest as well.

The other was for you to introduce yourself to local offices to offer outsourced tech services to them. Ie Solicitors, Accountants, Architects etc. this may also lead to referrals for you. You could charge them a small annual management fee where you come in once a year and update their systems etc.

Join Boards Business Network as well ;) That might help.

Check out the computers forum and see if you can help people with PC problems there as well, you never know they may live close to you.

Advertisement