Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Births

Options
  • 29-06-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Mt wife and I will be having our second child towards the end of the year. For the first child, we were lucky enough to get accepted into the midwifery led unit in Cavan, which was part of an ongoing study. We found the service fantastic, and everthing felt very personal. We were told when we were leaving, that as we had done it once, we would automatically be allowed to use the service again. When my wife got prgnant again, we went through the normal channels and the MLU was notified. Then my wife got a call, saying that the Doctor carrying out the study was restricting the study to individual women, rather than individual pregnancies, so we would have to go through the normal maternity services.

Needless to say, we were both very disappointed. Like most first time parents, we found the first pregnancy and birth daunting, but there was a certain comfort in the fact that second time round, we'd know exactly what to expect. Now we find ourselves basically heading into the unknown again.

My wife likes the idea of a home birth, but neither of us know anyone that has went down this route. We looked at the home births association of Ireland website, but a lot of there information seems to concentrate on telling you that the health boards are not going to very helpful. This would suggest to me that her doctor and the the hospital aren't going to be all that helpful if she looks for information of them. Has anyone here gone down this route, or know somebody that did. Does anyone feel strongly for/against it. I know the VHI will make a payment towards a homebirth, so it can't be completely unheard of.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am strongly against it,as on our last child there was a slight complication and my other half had to have a suction delivery/Vacuum extraction.I would never conceder a home birth but thats just my opinion don't let me put you off if you are all set for it.

Looking back now it was a great comfort to have all that technology and all the doctors expertises only a phone call away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm extremely glad my second eldest was born at home. It was so fast she could well have been delivered in the back of a car stuck in traffic along the canal if it hadn't been a home birth.

In the case of numbers 3 and 4 (twins) they were an emergency premature delivery. Clearly home-birth wouldn't have worked.

Obviously something as deeply political as homebirths is going to result in some strong opinions on either side. This means for someone trying to just get on with organising one there's a lot of crap to cut through and it can be easy to end up in a debate when what you need is a midwife and some money.

The Homebirth Association's site isn't much good, but they are worth contacting.

You are legally entitled to a contribution to the costs of a homebirth, but may have to fight for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Home birth is a tough one. I wouldn't be all that comfortable with it myself.

I didn't fully understand the problem either? Is it that you were comfortable with the first arrangement and now it's gone you don't know what to do? Can't you use a mid-wife of your choosing to do the delivery and find someone else or do the hospitals restrict that? We had our kids delivered by a mid-wife of our choosing in a hospital of our choosing. This was in the US which is different I know. I know things are different in the Ireland but I got the impression mid wives were popular now and easy to get access too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Kernel32 wrote:
    Can't you use a mid-wife of your choosing to do the delivery and find someone else or do the hospitals restrict that? We had our kids delivered by a mid-wife of our choosing in a hospital of our choosing. This was in the US which is different I know. I know things are different in the Ireland but I got the impression mid wives were popular now and easy to get access too.

Kernel32 - I grew up in the US, and things are very different there from here. I am expecting my first in Nov, and I've been very confused throughout my entire pregnancy, b/c I was mentally prepared for the same type of treatment as I'd have gotten in the States.

Now that I'm familiar w/ the Irish system I like it, but in the public system there is no such thing as selecting a midwife and guaranteeing that s/he will be the one see you through pregnancy and ultimately deliver your baby. You usually go to a midwives clinic, where you get seen by whoever's available, then for the delivery you get tended to by whoever's on duty (which can change throughout the process).

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad system, but it can be daunting and rather impersonal to some (myself as one of them). I'd prefer to have a relationship w/ the person who will be in charge of the most powerful experience of my life. It forms a trust, which just can't be as easily formed if you're working w/ different folks each time.

Because of this, I would love to have a home birth, where you can select one midwife who'll take you through the whole thing. However, in Donegal such home births don't appear to be approved by the Health Board (and I'm 45 mins from the nearest hospital, so if something were to go wrong...)

That said, I personally feel that women have been giving birth since the beginning of our existance, and there's nothing more natural than it. Of course, there are exceptional cases where emergencies happen, but for the overwhelming majority of women, some physical and mental preparation can make natural childbirth not only possible but actually an enjoyable experience.

I read a fantastic book which really gave me the inspiration and confidence to believe that this can be done. It's called "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin, and I picked it up in a local library, although you can also get it online. In it she provides dozens of stories told by women who've all had natural, non-drugged homebirths, and she provides some excellent (ie: non-scary) information for same.

So Carb, I applaud you and your wife for doing your own thing. It is tough, and you may have to kick a bit, but depending what part of the country you're in, it just may be possible.

Another option may be a duala, who can take you through the process and serve as a support during the birthing. This is usually a woman who's qualified, but also has personal experience in giving birth, and I understand they're a great help to those they assist. They're assistance will cost you (I'm not sure how much, and I'm sure it varies), but if you and your wife are feeling a bit uncertain about what to do, a duala may help.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thanks for the reply folks. I can understand peoples' arguments against home births because of possible complications, but as was explained to us at the time we went with the midwifery unit, giving birth is a natural procedure, not a medical one. We never seen a doctor during the whole labour, it was all dealt with by midwives. My wife did have a complication in that no amount of pushing could get our child to come out the last we bit. If a consutant had been there, I suppose some form of assistance would have been used. However, she was in a birthing pool, and the midwife decided to take her out, and the movement meant our son nearly landed on the step ladder. I know there are exceptions, but I think a lot of medical intervention is caused by the requirement to keep the mother lying on a bed, or been over cautious to prevent future claims.

The whole setup in the midwifery unit was very comfortable, I'd my own sofa bed, we had a TV, table, ensuite etc. I was able to stay the three nights that my wife was kept there for. It was just like been at home. If we gone through a maternity ward the first time, we'd know no better. Obviously, there's a lot more research involved. There mightn't even be a midwife available in our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Carb wrote:
    I know there are exceptions, but I think a lot of medical intervention is caused by the requirement to keep the mother lying on a bed, or been over cautious to prevent future claims.

Carb- I agree with you here, and that's why I visited the hospital where I'll be delivering and talked w/ a senior midwife on staff. I specifically asked her lots of questions, one being whether or not I can move around as I want during the labor. She basically said that I can do whatever works for me, that they're there mainly just to catch the babe.

Of course, she also said that the majority of women opt to have some form of pain-relieving drugs, and that a "natural" birth is almost unheard of. And she laughed out loud if I asked if they do waterbirths (they're not all that popular yet, so your wife was lucky to have one). That doesn't give me a lot of reassurance that drugs will be used as a last resort, but I figure it's my birthing, and I'll do whatever I want.

What I'm basically trying to say is that the hospitals aren't as cozy and comfy as your first experience, and they do have more "standards" for how "things are done," but if you go to a hospital that is willing to allow you and your wife to make the decisions, it may not be a unpleasant experience. But I agree with you, my first option would be a home birth if it was available and practical in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

First thing, if you’re half thinking of using one of the independent midwife, I’d try and at least book one today. From experience you nearly want to book them before you conceive…such is the demand.
    If none are available, then no point in considering that option.

Both my kids were born at home. We’re opposite to some of the replies here in that we get no comfort with going to hospital and would view the whole experience with trepidation and so homebirth was the only option for us.

We’d find the hour or 2 each way in car, to get to hospital for each visit, queuing, the intrusion, all the equipment etc, so stressful, that the chances of having difficulties are much higher.
    Instead, for the whole pregnancy, birth and postnatal care, we just stayed home and let the same midwife come to us. We found this so easy and stress free. Both the labours were relatively quick and without issues, due in part (or even perhaps totally) to being at home.

Not every planned homebirth happens as planned. If the midwife has any doubts, then one goes to hospital. Our midwife has never had an emergency transfer in her career. Transfers or referrals to hospital - yes, but no emergencies.

No grant support from East Coast Area Health Board. In fact the communication we did have with our Health Board only reaffirmed that we made the right choice for our kids and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had my first baby in hospital (in London) and by doing so put my baby's and my own life in danger. I was put in an ante-natal ward all night and left there on my own with the occasional look in from midwife who wouldn't even check on what was happening and wouldn't listen to what I was saying. She was mean with it.

I was only checked when the day staff came on duty and I was pushing at this stage. I had pre-eclampsia and had "high risk" written in red across the front of my file. Fortunately I delivered without any complications unlike my sister who developed eclampsia and had convulsions etc but she had a midwife with her.

2nd time round (in Ireland) it was better but only because I made sure my husband was with me throughout the whole thing, but you are left alone for ages at a time in the labour ward and only have midwives with you in the later stages.

I'd be pro home birth and I remember reading some studies that showed home births are safer but that was a number of years ago when I was at that stage in my life so I wouldn't be up to date with current figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Carb wrote:
    I know there are exceptions, but I think a lot of medical intervention is caused by the requirement to keep the mother lying on a bed, or been over cautious to prevent future claims.

I can only speak from my own experience here, but I had my first child in February of this year in Our Lady Of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, and, if anything, my experience was NOTHING like this whatsoever.

I was induced as I had gone 12 days overdue and there was a question mark over the placental function. So, in my case, there was a lot of "intervention" (my induction only worked at the last minute - two doses of Prostin gel, artificial rupture of membranes and nothing was happening until I was given the oxytocin drip) but I was very much encouraged to NOT stay in the bed. As soon as I had the drip put in, I was up and walking around, up and down the corridors (pausing every now and then whilst I was having contractions) and I was completely left to my own devices. My partner came with me - I was wheeling the drip around and he was pulling the gas and air canister and I was free to do as I chose. My midwife actually went on her teabreak when I was in labour. I had a three hour labour, 25 mins of which were pushing, and for most of it I was entirely on my own (by which I mean I had no medical professional with me, just my partner).

Now, Our Lady Of Lourdes has an MLU as well, and even though I wasn't on that scheme (as I had a high risk pregnancy for different reasons), I never saw a doctor during labour and delivery until after the third stage. He came in to examine me and baby briefly, and left just as swiftly. My midwife was FANTASTIC... She was so positive, so sunny... I had felt intimidated by some of the nurses I'd seen in the pre-natal ward the night before, when I'd been admitted, but my midwife was brilliant.

Are you in a position to travel to Drogheda or are you too far away?

As an aside, if your heart really is stuck on a homebirth, you should read this thread on magicmum.com. There are loads of women who have advice about their own homebirths in Ireland, as well as their stories etc...

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/has-anyone-had-a-home-birth-vt11058.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement