Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workgroup Blocking

• 29-06-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Need some help. I have two workgroups in the Office that i need to keep seprate. Heres what i have:

WORKGORUP A: Has 15 Computers
    WORKGROUP B: Has 3 Computers
    One Network Switch
    One Internet Router

I need to prevent WORKGROUP A Being Able to Look at WORKGROUP B and vice versa. Bare in mind tho i have no server and i dont have the option to either and i cant install anything on WORKGROUP B.

Any ideas?

Cheers Guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

This would probably be better off being asked in the Net/Comms forum (Comp/Net-Comms/Net-Comms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

By 'not look at the other work group' I presume you mean not see any shares on the other PCs. You could disable simple file sharing and then set the users who are allowed to view the shares of each computer. This may not be exactly what you're looking for but I don't know of another way to do it in a simple network.

This will only work if everyone has a unique login and they are set up on each PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

block ports 135-139 between them and they cannot see each other at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Hey Guys,

Need some help. I have two workgroups in the Office that i need to keep seprate. Heres what i have:

WORKGORUP A: Has 15 Computers
    WORKGROUP B: Has 3 Computers
    One Network Switch
    One Internet Router

I need to prevent WORKGROUP A Being Able to Look at WORKGROUP B and vice versa. Bare in mind tho i have no server and i dont have the option to either and i cant install anything on WORKGROUP B.

Any ideas?

Cheers Guys!
    Unless the switch is a managed switch, you can't do what you want to do. Get another router, confgure it to use a different subnet, and put the B users behind it. Plug it's WAN port into the switch, and then A users won't be able to get into the B subnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get a Vigor router - they have a facility to seperate the ports into virtual lans. Not only that but some of them come with VOIP and vpn facilites. you can then hang normal sitches off the ports for the seperate workgroups while still facilitating internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

You could always get a really old pentium PC, anything that has a P2 or P3.
    Install three network cards into it
    Install Linux (or possibly Censornet) onto it.
    Connect the Internet Router directly to NIC A.
    Connect the switch to NIC B and connect workgroup A computers to it.
    Connect a cheap hub or switch to NIC C and connect the workgroup B computers to that.

You can then configure the linux machine to work as a network router and put workgroup A, workgroup B and the Internet router on seperate subnets.

You can set this PC/Server to block traffic going between the two subnets so they cannot see each other, but at the same time let both subnets talk to the Internet. In addition you can install windows file sharing software on this machine that would provide a common place for both subnets to store files that are accessable from ANY PC.

In fact this is exactly what my old secondary school did.

Advertisement