Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stiff Clutch pedal

Options
  • 29-06-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I was driving the Girlfriends 03 Astra and the clutch pedal is alot lighter than mind.

As a car ages the clutch pedal gets stiffer, what is the reason for this and is there a way to make it lighter again.

Same with the steering, the steering is heavier on my car than hers' and mind is a 99 Astra.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

She has a new car. Better design, less weight in it =easier to steer. also you may want to check your power steering fluid.

Clutch or release bearing might be on the way out in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Newer model may use a hydraulic clucth and the old may still be a cable. Hydraulic is alot lighter imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Exact same model lads so not sure that the lighter theory works there.

Thanks for the 2 cents anyway.

Ill check into that thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be that the pressure plate is beginning to go dodgy resulting in a stiffer pedal action. It could also be the release bearing as layke suggests.

Steering may be a result of different tyre sizes. Also, afaik, Astras use an electric power steering pump and I've known these to go faulty from time to time.

Pressure plate and release bearing ill look into that thanks.

Yes the Astra using electro-hydralic steering pumps and I have heard a few people having to change them.

Be nice to get that newish car feeling back into the clutch pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The Astra uses a cable, which gets hot and eventually gets stiff ovver time. A new cable is about €30 and will change things considerably !

Most likely cause of the steering situation is the tyre pressure, tyre thread dept or the actual make !

MercMad wrote:
    The Astra uses a cable, which gets hot and eventually gets stiff ovver time. A new cable is about €30 and will change things considerably !

Most likely cause of the steering situation is the tyre pressure, tyre thread dept or the actual make !

Thanks for that.

I had a read around, somewhere said that the stiff clutch pedal was a sign of a slipping clutch where the material on the clutch plate wears away and the clutch plate can not connect with the the flywheel properly.

Thats grand but the clutch is not slipping.

So a change in the clutch cable will free up the pedal movement.

Not to bother about the steering as its ok. The steering wheel itself is off alignment and the car goes straight - ish but ill get the wheels tracked and balanced should sort that out.

Thanks for the advice again.

Advertisement