Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choosing new watch

• 29-06-2006 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi read previous posts here re: watches & wondered if anyone had an opinion on ladies watches. Had a Tag 200 series bought 14 years ago. Loved the watch & wore it constantly, literally never off my wrist for 12 years. Then strap got very loose & worn, glass scratched, etc & cost of repair was quite high, so started thinking of replacement. Trouble is, I'm still looking! Currently wearing a Seiko 5 Sport which looks OK but doesn't keep great time & I don't like colour - gold with black dial.

I want: All s/steel watch & bracelet with white/silver dial. Needs to be sport/diving style & not too small. I want watch I can wear 24/7 & will stand up to everyday knocks.

My current shortlist:

Tag Aquaracer 2000 - bit disappointed with current Tag range, seems to be going a bit "bling". Tried on Aquaracer with silver dial, looked OK but a bit small.

Rolex Yachtmaster - pref. in mid size but price is probably bit too hefty.

Breitling Starliner - love size & style of this. Looks v. good on & like way bracelet fits onto watch. Maybe a bit pricey for what it is?

Breitling Colt Oceane II - looks good in pics but have yet to meet one!

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, where is best place to get a close up look at a decent range of quality watches & try them on - I'm not in Dublin but would imagine it will necessitate a trip there.

Finally - sorry for being so long - would I get a better deal elsewhere in Europe, as am heading to France in August - or are prices set by the manufacturers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weir on grafton street would be the best to walk into and try on.

then you can buy from here http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/ , they have a good selection and will be cheaper than anywhere in ireland.

*EDIT* to give an idea on price wise.

this is the watch i'm looking to get off that site sometime soon. Omega Seamaster automatic it's £935sterling. which is €1350 odd

this same watch in weir's goes for at least €2000 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

LisaO wrote:
    Rolex Yachtmaster - pref. in mid size but price is probably bit too hefty.

If you can afford it, go for this - personally speaking, I'd love one.

Omega Seamaster (mentioned above) is a good alternative not on your list. Maybe also consider the newer Planet Ocean Seamasters - a bit different. (I'm a fan of Omegas!)

The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is another dive watch I've always liked the look of. Unfortunately, also expensive :)

just so you know on further snoooping on that watchfinder.co.uk site i showed eariler

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk//faq.aspx#warranty

here's what they say
    Are you an authorised dealer?

We are not authorised dealers. All of our brand new watches are sourced directly from authorised dealers and are supplied with the full international warranty. They will arrive in the manufacturer's packaging with all the instruction manuals, and booklets you would get from the authorised dealer. The name of the authorised dealer who sold the watch to us on your behalf will be on the warranty card. The serial number of the watch will match the serial number on the warranty card. This is all essential to get the full protection of the [manufacturer's warranty.
    !!! DON'T BUY WITHOUT THIS INFORMATION.

What warranty protection do I get?

All the brand new watches are despatched with the manufacturer's full international warranty. You will get the same protection as anyone buying a watch directly from the authorised dealer.

also from here http://www.watchfinder.co.uk//warranty_information.aspx
    What happens if there is a problem with my watch?

A) If it's still covered by the manufacturer's international warranty.
    If you have a problem with a watch that is still protected by the manufacturer's you can go into any authorised dealers, present the watch and ask for the watch to be repaired. If you're not happy with that, contact us and we'll see if we can help manage the process for you.

B) If the manufacturer's warranty has expired.
    We recommend that you send the watch back to us where our service centre will either remedy the problem or send the watch to the manufacturer at a fraction of the cost to be fixed in a fraction of the time.

C) If it's still covered by the watchfinder.co.uk warranty.
    If the watchfinder.co.uk warranty is still valid you can send the watch back to us. If the problem is covered by the terms of the manufacturer's original warranty we will undertake any repairs free of charge.

D) If the watchfinder.co.uk warranty has expired.
    If the watchfinder.co.uk warranty has expired, send the watch back to us and we will undertake any repairs that are necessary. All work carried out by watchfinder.co.uk carries a 12 month warranty

i think you're pretty much covered from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hi guys

Thanks for all the info. Was thinking a trip to Weirs on Grafton St was probably called for & will check out Paul Sheeran as well. Someone also suggested Walker & Hall in Liffey Valley?

Had another look at the Omega Seamaster - lovely watch but I really want a lighter dial - silver or white & they are only available in blue or black:(

Have looked at watchfinder site before - they seem to be one of more reliable places to buy online. Not sure if you have to wait for them to source watch you want, as range shown on site is more limited than some others, such as & www.tagwatchesdirect.co.uk

Am loooking to spend to around 3k euro, so this will rule out Rolex, I guess (and prob. JLC - v. nice looking). Had a look at the Rado as well, bedlam - it's different!

LisaO wrote:
    Had another look at the Omega Seamaster - lovely watch but I really want a lighter dial - silver or white & they are only available in blue or black:(

don't know if you saw these but on the site you linked to.

http://www.tagwatchesdirect.co.uk/omega_womens_watches_seamaster_aqua_terra.html

there's some women's seamasters with white face. the only problem is and i don't know if it would be a problem for you is that they are quartz movement and not self winding watches.

*EDIT* also some of the major jewellers will knock off 10-15% if you ask nicely and pay by cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement