Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XXXX Windows - Avoid Like The Plague

Options
  • 29-06-2006 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Ok folks, it’s a long, long story but a really short version of it goes as follows.

Bought an apartment 1 year ago, fitted with XXXX windows. Windows were not level and would not close properly. Over the course of 15 visits to the apartment and a year later XXXX employees and contractors had butchered my windows in order to get them closing. They quite literally cut lumps off the windows to make them close. They also badly bent hinges and chipped and damaged the paintwork on every window in the apartment.

I can’t express how difficult they were to deal with as a company. They regularly made arrangements with me to do work only to stand me up on the day. In total I used up nearly a full years annual leave from work to get the windows reasonably good. Many of my windows had to be replaced and XXXX were very reluctant to do the replacements. Pressure from the builders I think is the only reason I got these replacements. I had to involve a solicitor in the last month to get the job finished. Even the replacement windows are not the same as the originals and you need to be nearly 7 foot to open them. Also the catches on the frame had to be moved leaving gaping big holes where the previous ones were.

At this stage I've given up and I'm settling for a reasonable job. Not great, certainly not new looking. Just last night a crack has begun to appear in one of the window frames. I think I'll just fill it, sand and paint it. I can’t be bothered calling them as I hope I never hear or see anyone from XXXX again.

If anyone is looking at XXXX and considering a quote..... DONT! They admitted to me that quality control was one of their weak areas. You would not believe the stress I have been put through!

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

That is unreal - I'd considering taking them to court over this, although you probably don't need the stress right now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sounds exactly like the same problem I have had with a well known Irish company.
    6 months later, still not right but Im sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mike_C

please,please,please people do not let companies get away with this type of poor service. posting here prevents some of us lucky readers from making the same mistake but does not punish companies for shoddy work. The only way to get rid of the rip off ireland name is to pursue these companies in the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Have had to edit out the name in the OP. Don't take offence crowdcontrol, but you only have five posts to your name, and we are only going on your word that this actually happened.

Do you have any proof that this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Hey there roundtower2, of course I have proof. I kept a record of all dealings with this company by always communicating with them and my builders through email. I also have photos. I only posted this to warn people as I don't want them getting into similar trouble.

I'm disappointed that you feel the amount of posts I have to my name is relevant. Gotta join at some stage don't you? Also if slander is what your getting at, I assure you, everything in the post is true. Also I had alot more hassle I didn't mention as I didn't want to post a books worth of detail. NAME AND SHAME I SAY.

One thing I do find interesting is that people seem to think my story sounds unbelievable. You couldn't make this up. Its making me think that maybe i should have gone to court. Its just that every time I considered it the builders would give me more assurances that it would be sorted so I kept putting it off. Not to mention the hassle it would be (I think) as its not something I've ever done before.

At the moment I'm waiting on a coat of paint for the windows, well probably more a touch up that will be taking place some day now (still waiting on confirmation on whether this is the builders responsibility or that of Swedex.

c.control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Post up a few photos showing their bad work and maybe RoundTower2 can put the name of the company back in?

Im not that bothered to be honest.........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

lol u-turn special. So much for name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

What can I say?
    Bog off so!!

faceman wrote:
    lol u-turn special. So much for name and shame!

go on - name it away.

It's better that i did a u-turn on the other thread rather than ignore the will of the community. Think that makes me a better mod, than someone who ignores the community because it might make me look stupid to change my mind.

RT2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

go on - name it away.

It's better that i did a u-turn on the other thread rather than ignore the will of the community. Think that makes me a better mod, than someone who ignores the community because it might make me look stupid to change my mind.

RT2

Sorry dude, my comment was actualky for the OP not your goodself. He was harping on about how much he wanted ppl to avoid the company yet when he asked for proof he said he wasnt that bothered. Genuine or not we wont ever know. Either way his poorly backed up comments are the kind of drivel that dont help the forum. Its a company not mentioned on boards before, so regardless of whether he has 1000 or 10 posts he should provide some evidence.

Threads like this should just be deleted imho.

My god, wish I'd never posted now. All I was doing was giving people a heads up!! Like c'mon, I wasn't expecting to be asked to provide proof etc. I mean, of course I have proof, why on earth would I make it all up? I'm just not bothered posting up images and going out of my way to prove this because I would rather people took my warning at face value. If anyone is considering getting Swedex then yeah, I'll post up a few images. Doesn't anyone out there understand that I thought I should warn people who might be in the market for windows and the response I get is "Prove it, why should we believe you?" Therefore of course I feel like "well if you dont believe me.....fine! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My god, wish I'd never posted now. All I was doing was giving people a heads up!! Like c'mon, I wasn't expecting to be asked to provide proof etc. I mean, of course I have proof, why on earth would I make it all up? I'm just not bothered posting up images and going out of my way to prove this because I would rather people took my warning at face value. If anyone is considering getting Swedex then yeah, I'll post up a few images. Doesn't anyone out there understand that I thought I should warn people who might be in the market for windows and the response I get is "Prove it, why should we believe you?" Therefore of course I feel like "well if you dont believe me.....fine! :)

We understand this however without proof it is often the case that such comments would leave boards open to legal action which boards doesn't want.

So posting photos of the bad work performed by said company would mean that you have a valid and proven reason for saying that the company is crap and should be avoided in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

put up or shut up

POst the pics, or stop moaning, we are the wrong people to complain to anyway, but if a company is giving poor service they deserve to be named and shamed

Give your solicitor a call, and get them to sort it out for u
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Why did u close the deal on the apartment with these windows in such bad condition?? I wouldnt have signed the contract to be honest, and because u did u now might not have any comeback. I would definately seek legal advice. Surely tho there is other people in the same position as u, i.e ur neightbours, would you not all get together??

Hi there folks! Can I first say I am not complaining or moaning. Absolutly not. So Enright no need to be so rude....

I only signed for the apartment because I got in writing from the builders that the windows would be sorted. The problem arose when the builders and I had very different ideas on what was a good job and what fell into a certain level of tolerance and margin for error. However for legal reasons I will post a few pics over the weekend. Im in work at the moment and I dont have access to any.

I have spoken to some of my neighbours but unfortunatly as I live in a penthouse my windows are quite unique. There are 3 other penthouses but as yet they are not occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Enright wrote:
    put up or shut up:eek:

Why are you being so rude?

I think the OP has made as valid a point as 1000s of other threads on boards. If someone posts a thread moaning about a Microsoft product do you ask for proof? If someone posts that Fiats are crap do you ask for proof? Saying "put up or shut up" is pretty dumb. While it's a good idea to keep an eye on potentiol messers or fraudsters on boards, this post strikes me as being pretty genuine. I'd personally welcome more threads like this where people can be warned about rip off Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Ok folks, it’s a long, long story but a really short version of it goes as follows.

Bought an apartment 1 year ago, fitted with XXXX windows.

You bought the apartment from the builders not the Window Company, it's the builders problem to sort it out with the window company for you.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    You bought the apartment from the builders not the Window Company, it's the builders problem to sort it out with the window company for you.

actually this is the best point on this thread. the builders are responsible as they sold you the house (Sale of Goods Act). Although, it doesn't take away from the shoddy work the window installers did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Monty Gerhardy

I only signed for the apartment because I got in writing from the builders that the windows would be sorted. The problem arose when the builders and I had very different ideas on what was a good job and what fell into a certain level of tolerance and margin for error. However for legal reasons I will post a few pics over the weekend. Im in work at the moment and I dont have access to any.
    QUOTE]

Its not just a matter of opinion on what constitutes a proper job. The Building Regulations - Part D, Second Schedule - has explicit requirements and from your initial desciption I have doubts about them performing adequately the function they are intended to -"you need to be nearly 7 foot to open them".

Unfortunately you also have warranty issues. "They quite literally cut lumps off the windows to make them close" will invalidate the manufacturers warranty. Swedex don't make windows. They buy them in from wherever so you may not get any help there. The fact that the replacement windows are not the same as the originals is very unusual. That the window frames are developing cracks is potentially serious.

If you post some pictures I will give you my opinion on issues of compliance with Building Regulations and I would consider having a surveyor with fenestration expertise conduct a survey with a view to seeking compensation.

Is mise le meas,

Monty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

3 points occur having had a quick read through the above.

If <=10 years old u are covered by the National Builders G/tee scheme.

Also if u need to be 7 feet tall to open the windows they are in breach of fire regs which will be an issue if u sell.

Look at small claims court: max 2000 for a cost of 15 euro, so on a perwindow basis.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Consumer rights in the European Union

* Rules
    * How to apply
    * Where to apply

Information

Under the European Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC), which was passed into law in January 2003 in Ireland, all consumers purchasing goods in any EU Member State are entitled to a basic set of consumer rights. The existence of a single European market gives access to a wider range of products and services at competitive prices.

National consumer laws in a particular country may provide you with additional rights as a consumer. That is, rights that supplement your rights provided by EU laws. Your basic right as a consumer is to have a product replaced, repaired or to have a refund or reduction in price for any fault in the product that you were not made aware of at the time of purchase. There are however a set of rules governing these rights. These rules are concerned mainly with descriptions and statements made about the product, instructions and guarantees.
    Rules

The main rights that are given to every European consumer under the European Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC) are set out below.

* If you purchase goods or services from another EU Member State and they were advertised in your country, you are protected under consumer law of your home country.
    * If you purchased goods or services from a representative of the business in your home country, national consumer law of your home country protects you.
    * If you buy goods or services while you were visiting another EU Member State the laws of the country in which you bought the items apply.

Consumer goods are defined as moveable items, excluding electricity, water or gas where they are not up for sale in a limited quantity. This means that water from a tap or gas supplied to your home are not considered consumer goods but a bottle of water or canister of gas are.

Any statement made about consumer goods must be true or the retailer is liable. This includes descriptions made in advertising, marketing, labelling or statements made verbally or in writing by the retailer. If you are shown a sample item, the item you buy must be of exactly the same quality. The product must also be fit for its intended purpose (e.g., if you buy a can opener, it must function as a can opener).

If the installation of a good is included in the purchase price, then the retailer is liable for any mistakes made in the installation. If you are installing a good yourself, any fault in the instructions is the responsibility of the retailer. For example, if you bought a bed that you have to assemble yourself and the instructions are in Chinese, the retailer must provide instructions in English unless he or she made you aware of this at the time of purchase and offered you a discount in price.
    Guarantees

A guarantee is an enforceable warranty on the continuing usefulness of a product. You may request a guarantee for the item, at the time of purchase. This guarantee should include the duration of the guarantee, its territorial scope and the name and address of the guarantor. The guarantee should be available in the official languages of the EU. The guarantee cannot undermine the rights provided to you in European Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees or in national legislation.

Just thought I'd revisit this post, my mam rang me on Thursday morning and told me to tune to Joe Duffy as there was something on about Swedex windows. They have liquidated leaving numerous people with half done jobs and thousands out of pocket! Just hope my original post swayed some people away from doing business with them as even if your job was completed you would now be without your 3 yr guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jimmyc123

Just thought I'd revisit this post, my mam rang me on Thursday morning and told me to tune to Joe Duffy as there was something on about Swedex windows. They have liquidated leaving numerous people with half done jobs and thousands out of pocket! Just hope my original post swayed some people away from doing business with them as even if your job was completed you would now be without your 3 yr guarantee.

Ha Ha bet your sitting back thinking oh ya told ya so now theres yer proof lads nice one ha ha

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

they are also not a Swedish company as found out by this poster. thread about the closure on AAM.

jimmyc123 wrote:
    Ha Ha bet your sitting back thinking oh ya told ya so now theres yer proof lads nice one ha ha

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am a bit :) but feel bad for all the people who were stung:(

Advertisement