Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving test........

• 29-06-2006 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi everyone in the Northwest I am new to these boards and I was hoping to get some advice on passing my driving test, I have just done my first lesson and I wasn't really that nervous until I did it!! I learned how to drive in the USA and I moved back home a few years ago and I tried to avoid actually doing the test but now I have no options left I have to do it I am SO nervous about it. I am a careful driver but because I've been driving for years I have so many bad habits like crossing the hands on the steering wheel leaving my hand resting on the gear stick not checking the mirrors every 10 seconds etc... I will be doing my test in Letterkenny in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and maybe it wasn't as bad as they thought or anything encouraging really :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

If you do a search for driving test you'll find loads of info or click here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php?search=driving+test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Siamsa

:) Thanks for that Downtime it's a big help reading other peoples experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My advice would be to keep up the lessons. You haven't said if the lessons were from a friend or a registered driving instructor.

In any event I think you need 3 or 4 outings with a registered driving instructor and he/she will happily point out your bad habits (which we all have by the way).

He might even tell you the correct side of the road to drive on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ive just got my provisional about 2 months ago (finally, at the age of 22 :D)

and ive had a car in LK for the past 4 weeks.
    Its the first time ive driven properly, ive yet to have a lesson,
    and i would consider myself a pretty good driver.

i've even started noticing when other ppl show their bad driving habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

retalivity wrote:
    and i would consider myself a pretty good driver.

i've even started noticing when other ppl show their bad driving habits.

Everyone considers themselves to be a good driver, it's how other people think you drive that's important.

and go and get some lessons. I think it should be illegal for people to just be allowed to get behind the wheel of a car and drive. A car can be a lethal machine in the wrong hands.

Siamsa,

I'd recommond that you go and get some lessons. Two or three to make sure you're doing things properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm not a good driver. And I've failed my test so I can't really comment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Siamsa wrote:
    Hi everyone in the Northwest I am new to these boards and I was hoping to get some advice on passing my driving test, I have just done my first lesson and I wasn't really that nervous until I did it!! I learned how to drive in the USA and I moved back home a few years ago and I tried to avoid actually doing the test but now I have no options left I have to do it I am SO nervous about it. I am a careful driver but because I've been driving for years I have so many bad habits like crossing the hands on the steering wheel leaving my hand resting on the gear stick not checking the mirrors every 10 seconds etc... I will be doing my test in Letterkenny in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and maybe it wasn't as bad as they thought or anything encouraging really :)

Many prospective test candidates place too much emphasis on minor points like crossing hands on wheel and resting hands on gearstick - you won't fail a test for doing that. You will fail for poor observation and hazard awareness and for lacking progress etc.

Good Luck.

(PS you will probably get more responses if you post in the Motors section - driving tests are a nationwide issue not just North West)

I am indeed having lessons(from a registered instructor) I have had the first one last week which is why I am now so nervous :( I am booked in for another 5 including one a couple of hours before the actual test. I suppose I am nervous now because Iused to feel very comfortable driving and since I had that first lesson last week I am like a cat on a hot tin roof I am having my next lesson tomorrow so hopefully I will feel a little more confident the more I do but to any of you possibly visiting Letterkenny tomorrow give the test center a wide berth :D

We will get an announcement out on Highland Radio advising people to avoid Letterkenny tomorrow :D

Good luck with the lessons

Just wanted to give an update on my post. Well I did my test today and I passed!!!:D :D I am so delighted I was so damn nervous but I have to say the tester was really nice ( and he's supposed to be the tough one) he really put me at ease so I didn't make any stupid mistakes. So to any of you out there who are bricking it at the thought of doing their test it really is not as bad as you think, though if anyone had told me that before mine I'd wouldn't have believed it. Anyway thanks for the support and kind words!XO

• Advertisement

Good on ya. I knew you would do it. Congrats.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Congratulations and safe driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Well done and safe driving!!

Advertisement