Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo accommodation

Options
  • 29-06-2006 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend nice areas to live in, as near as poss to Sligo Town(within 15 mins walking distance if poss!-non driver)

Also what are the schools like ?
    Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

dragona, welcome back

ar you looking for an apartment or house, how many bedrooms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Am looking to rent .
    Has to be a house - unfurnished!
    Need 4 bedrooms - problem is that unfurnished houses are practically impossible to find, and we are not in a position to buy at the moment:(
    Even outside of Sligo town would be good, as long as there is easy access into town - I haven't been up there yet, so don't know the bus/transport situation.
    Thanks for the reply, by the way.

I take it that no-one here knows Sligo or surrounding areas???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i wouldnt say that, what i would say is that we aren't estate agents.
    Sorry

JIZZLORD wrote:
    i wouldnt say that, what i would say is that we aren't estate agents.
    Sorry

I am not asking anyone to find me a house, or somewhere to live.That I can do on my own.
    I am enquiring about AREAS.

My reply about searching for a 4 bed unfurnished house was in reply to nanooks specific question.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

dragona wrote:
    Can anyone recommend nice areas to live in, as near as poss to Sligo Town(within 15 mins walking distance if poss!-non driver)

Also what are the schools like ?
    Any info much appreciated.

Hi,
    I suppose the Crozon or Caltragh estate isn't too bad, its near enough to the town. Theres a bus stop near there that goes to the town. I find the city bus service good, it goes to all the main areas in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Nice town map of Sligo here

Areas like Kevinsfort, Rathedmond and Oakfield are worth looking at for a house.
    Finding an unfurnished house within walking distance of town will be difficult.

This page has a list of primary schools in Co Sligo
    This page has a list of secondary schools in Co Sligo

drive3331, thank you so much - am very grateful.
    Unfortunately, I am very stuck at the moment as I physically cannot get to Sligo for another two weeks - most of the searching is being done by a third party!
    Just would like to be able to say *look here here and here*for somewhere to live.....
    I am also under extreme pressure time-wise, have to get something sorted by the beginning of next month!
    Thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

drive3331 wrote:
    Nice town map of Sligo here

Areas like Kevinsfort, Rathedmond and Oakfield are worth looking at for a house.
    Finding an unfurnished house within walking distance of town will be difficult.

Just want to say that the Kevinsfort and Oakhill areas would be a bit more than a 15 min walk into town, I'd say about 20-25 mins walk

good feedback here, well done guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I think the Cartron area is a good area and close to town. Maybe Rathbraughan or Ballytivnan though i'm not so sure they're 15 mins, But i used to be able to walk to town in that time. :-/
    I think Kevinsfort is a good bit outside of town though.

Are you looking at Primary or Secondry schools? It may be best if you find the right school when you've found a house. Knowing what area you're in etc..

Goodluck though :)

Thank you all so much.
    I realise that I'm not going to get anywhere 10 mins from town, but I need to be a short bus ride away.I refuse to go from the *sticks* to another place in the middle of nowhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

North of the river: Ballytivnan, Avondale, Rathbraughan, Ballinode but not Cartron Estate

South of town: Pearse Road and surronds, Cairns Road, Circular Rd, Crozon.

West of town: Maugherboy, Ballydoogan, Rathedmond, Strandhill Road, Larkhill Road, Kevinsfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

Stay away from Ballinode to many students around there. I'd recommend Strandhill Road or Kevinsfort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Also on the southside (up past Markievicz Park) Ferndale, Woodtown Lodge, and Greenfort. More than 15 minute walk from town but not much. Bus leaves regularly from there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Stay away from Cranmore too (athough I do have to say, I had many a wild adventure there when I was joung and had no sense...)

Thank you all so much!
    Am desperate really but I haven't had much luck so far.I think my option is going to be to find somewhere, anywhere, on a month by month lease temporarily untill I can get a house to let in the areas I would like:mad:
    Dunno what the chances of that ere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Strandhill is nice, my ex girlfriend used to live up there with her sister. Nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Strandhill is nice, my ex girlfriend used to live up there with her sister. Nice spot.

Yes, but its not 15 mins walking distance from town.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where Tourlestrane is and how many squillions of miles away from Sligo town???
    I am hitting desperation point now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did you try all the estate agents in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Tourlestrane is about 30 miles south of Sligo, almost in Mayo! Don’t ask me how long it would take to walk their from Sligo :eek:

Im with Muffler on the Estate agent thing.
    Have you rang any of them? What responses have you got from them?
    With all the building that is going on around the town and given the time of year (students gone home for the summer etc ) there has to be a surplice of property waiting to be let.

If the estate agents cant help they should be able to point you in the right direction.

muffler wrote:
    Did you try all the estate agents in the area

EVERY single one.I an scouring the Sligo Champion, Weekender, Daft.ie, all estate agents - nothing.This is now getting urgent.
    I am at a complete loss as to what to do.I never imagined it would be this difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I know a guy with a house to rent in Sligo. He is living overseas. I will e-mail him tonight and see if it is still available. It is within walking distance from the town.

smashey wrote:
    I know a guy with a house to rent in Sligo. He is living overseas. I will e-mail him tonight and see if it is still available. It is within walking distance from the town.

That is extremely kind of you! Don't know what else to say.....thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

dragona wrote:
    That is extremely kind of you! Don't know what else to say.....thank you.

I aim to please.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What if you contacted the local radio station in Sligo (not sure who they are) and ask if they would read out a message along the lines that you are seeking a house to rent urgently.

If someone from the Sligo area can tell me if Ocean FM is the main radio station for that region then I have a very good contact there and may be able to help with that idea if you wish

I am totally overwhelmed now.
    I did not expect people to be so helpful:cool:

You are all GREAT!

• Advertisement

dragona,

from what i remember, there used to be a notice board in the quinsworth arcade, now tesco.

I always remember losts of accommodation on the board.

Also i know a place that is coming available in a couple of weeks time, end of august, but it is about 25 miles outside of sligo. plenty of rooms and in a village.

Good luck with the search and kepp us posted

Advertisement