Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Dragona,

Unfortunately, my contact has decided to sell and already has a buyer.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

dragona keep us posted and let us know what happenes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Just want to reiterate how grateful I am for all your help and information.Thank you thank you.

I am going tomorrow to look at a house in the middle of nowhere, in Tourlestrane, ohmygod will I get broadband? Waste of time even asking as I probably can't live there - I can't trudge through miles of mud and cow poo just to get a carton of milk:mad: Just feel like sobbing!!

dragona, you sound like a city girl, my wife was the same, thought she could never live outside of the city but i have to say she would never go back now.

Dont dismiss it untill you try it.

Good luck

My idea of HELL is living somewhere with no Boots,no nothing.I don't drive so as it is I have to rely on husband to take me to Tesco etc - all on his time and when HE can fit it in.Living in the middle of a field will just compound the nightmare.Lived in the Uk for years and never had to drive - buses everywhere.
    This whole fiasco is turning into a fecking nightmare - only option available to me now is divorce maybe.
    Husband has just said to me there is not even a phone point!!! Will I get Sky tv?? I equate this to living somewhere in the third world

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    Dragona,

Unfortunately, my contact has decided to sell and already has a buyer.

Good luck.

Thanks for your efforts.

dragona, you need to chill and enjoy the countryside. Fresh air, no polution, no hastle and traffic, peace and quiet. should i go on.

But one thing you may need to think about is , Driving Lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Yes you do definatley need to learn to drive. I live in the sticks in Sligo, we get sky, wireless broadband etc. So not too bad.
    The supermarkets in Sligo are rubbish though.
    I much prefer living out of town but as the public transport is non existant where I am you do need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

This is the area that I'm from.

I'd recommend it. Its 10-12 mins walk from town, there's a nearby national school St Edwards.

PM if you like.

Well, I officially GIVE UP.
    Nothing, nada, zilch.

I'd have more luck winning the lotto. Divorceville here we come.
    House in the fields was too far from any other living being.Don't see why I should be OBLIGED to drive - more expense,lessons for starters, 2nd car, tax, insurance etc.

I am now extremely stressed out about this - I have a complicated situation going on and it is imperative that we move asap or else not for another two years, by which time something bad will have happened, and life as I know it will probably be over.
    If I am rambling, it is probably the wine I am self medicating with:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

theres two houses in the Greenfort estate just gone up, well within walking distance of the town with a bus at the bottom of the road every 20 mins, quiet area too...

Sligo Estates M.I.P.A.V. Quay st, Sligo (071) 9143425 Sligo email to sligoestates@eircom.net

O'Sullivan McGinty 7 Old Market st, Sligo (071) 9148884 Sligo

they are the two sellers if interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Bus/Transport? Practically non-existant outside of the town. Strandhill has only 5-6 buses a day and a taxi costs €15 even though it's only less than 6 miles out of town. Collooney cost a friend of mine €22 on Monday night. €10 to Ballincar, less than 3 miles out. If you don't drive, you'd better get a house in the town. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.:)

Have you been getting the local papers (Champion etc), to look for houses to rent, there must be a good few available.

dragona, seems it is as stressful looking as it is moving.
    Hopefully something will turn up soon

keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dragona, just curious about the outcome. Did you ever get sorted out?

muffler wrote:
    Dragona, just curious about the outcome. Did you ever get sorted out?

Thanks for the interest - short answer is no:(
    I am going mad with the stress of it. It seems there are noproperties available to rent at all. All I need is 4 beds, unfurnished. Anywhere at this point.

I have only found one unfurnished, in the middle of a field, and now that one is gone.Wasn't practical - somehow, children do actually need to get to school. I don't know what to do now.

dragona

maybe its time to bite the bullet and take a furnished house and that might help.

nanook wrote:
    dragona

maybe its time to bite the bullet and take a furnished house and that might help.

I can't! I possess everything where I am now except the dishwasher!
    I cannot get rid of a lifetimes worth of furniture, beds, etc. I just can't.
    People don't appreciate that not everyone is in position to buy a home - I moved here to Ireland with everything we own, and I cannot get rid of it all just like that. I want to sleep in my own bed, not someone elses!
    This is just going to be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Is there no way you could put some stuff into storage for a while? You could keep looking for a house whilst renting a furnished house? It may be easier to find one whilst living in sligo.

I really hope you find something :-/

takola wrote:
    Is there no way you could put some stuff into storage for a while? :-/

dragona, this was my train of thought, not getting rid of anything, just putting it into storage for a while to take the pressure off for a while.

just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I rented for four years here in Sligo and have a child, also didn't know the area at all before I came, so I know how your feeling! I also was looking for unfurnished. Crozon has a lot of rented propertys, but unfurnished can be hard. Its nice for kids, 10 mins from town and schools. Contact estate agents as they have weekly updated lists. Some private landlords are great, some not! Try Sligo Champion, u could order it from ur newsagent for a few weeks. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sorry!! I missed pages two and three of the thread, so repeated what everyone elso told you, sorry!!! At one stage I had to put everything in storage (you don't miss it by the way!!) and a local bloke who has property in Leitrim stored it for me at a great price. Nightmare I know, but if your stuck let me know.

Hello,
    Desperate dragona here - I am so grateful to all who still respond to my post....

Quick recap - I am now at the point of nearly no return. My husband has decided to rent a room up there - I sort of get it as commuting to near Sligo and back again 7 days a week, coming back very late at night to then do it all again the next day is insane. It is costing €200 a week in petrol.Not to mention late nights as I need to be called at 20 minute intervals throughout his journey home, to make sure he is still alive - the roads are appalling.

I have no idea where the children are going to school in September - here? There?
    The idea of storing stuff is ok -but will it not be monumentally expensive?
    Hubby has found a house, unfurnished in Manorhamilton??? No bloody idea where that is.

There's not a lot in Manorhamilton to be honest. Its about a 15 minute drive from Sligo town. About 40 minutes drive from Eniskillen.

magnumlady wrote:
    There's not a lot in Manorhamilton to be honest. Its about a 15 minute drive from Sligo town. About 40 minutes drive from Eniskillen.

Thought it might be too good to be true. :-((((((

manorhamilton is actually quite a nice town, like magnum saidm it is relatively close to sligo and the schools are good. If need be, drumkeerin is only up the road and it has a really good secondry school with strong academic results.

Manorhamilton wont have a boots but it does have everything you need.

Listen folks!!
    Maybe a house in OAK Lawns, Pearse Road. Any ideas where that is in relation to schools and stuff?? It is furnished but I was upset (I'm embarassed to say) and apparently the furniture can be taken out.Dontcha know my problems are compounded a hundredfold when I mention that I have a dog:( (who cannot go into storage!)but that is ok!
    I am now beside myself with excitement.Please keep fingers crossed.

Pearse Road is about a 10 or 15 min walk from the town centre. Is it Primary or Secondary school. You'd be pretty close to The Mercy convent, Which is an all girls Secondary school, Or a mixed Primary school. (There's 2 Schools across from each other)and they're right at the bottom of pearse road going into town,7 min walk at most!

Let us know how it goes!

My daughter needs to go into 4th class in September, and my son needs to into 4th year(he did his junior cert this year)
    Don't have a clue about schools there - all I know is that son is quite academic and a crappy community college won't do....not to say that they are crappy, but he was at one here in Mullingar for a year due to no available places anywhere else and hated every minute of it - he said they did no work....Can't afford to go private.

I am going to see this house tomorrow, so will let you all know.

• Advertisement

I think Summerhill would probably be your best choice, I don't think it's too a far walk, About 20 mins from Pearse Rd, You should check it out when you get to Sligo tomorrow. And check out the Mercy to see what you think of that? Hope all goes well :)

Advertisement