Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mercy Primary is v. close to you, I have a child there and its good. Summerhill College is pretty close then aswell for your boy. No idea how good it is though...anyone know? Hope the house is okay, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Pearse Road sounds ideal for you. Its near to everything.
    Good luck, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

House was no good :-((
    Only thing going for it is location.
    The bedrooms are TINY(I mean really really tiny)no fitted wardrobes and no room for any either.
    After describing it as immaculate - the kitchen and bathroom floor tiles had cracks all over, the bathroom had mould.

I was told the furniture could be removed - all in there was a sofa and two chairs and beds -all electrical in the kitchen had to stay.A wasted day.Rent was €900 a month-but she said for long term we could have it for €875!

Anyway I have now decided I'm not moving.I am sick to death of the whole thing. If we have to live apart from my husband, so be it.
    Thanks to all.

Sorry to hear that, what a shame.
    Its a pain when people say things are immaculate and they aren't.
    I was phoning about a car the other week that was 'immaculate' only thing was it hadn't been started for 7 months and there was no key!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just on the point of immaculate, my brother works in car sales, he once got a call from a guy who described his car as "out of the box", when they saw the car the only comment the made was what plane had the box originally fallen from as this was the biggest ball of shyte they had seen.

Back to topic, dragona, it will work out, when i dont know but good things come to those who wait.
    Hope everything works out and keep us posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

dragona wrote:
    My daughter needs to go into 4th class in September, and my son needs to into 4th year(he did his junior cert this year)
    Don't have a clue about schools there - all I know is that son is quite academic and a crappy community college won't do....not to say that they are crappy, but he was at one here in Mullingar for a year due to no available places anywhere else and hated every minute of it - he said they did no work....Can't afford to go private.

I am going to see this house tomorrow, so will let you all know.

if you are sending your son, i would recomend to go to Summerhill, good teachers, good academic results, relatively well run (dont let the principal fool ya!). It may be in need of repair, but overall, it is a fantastic school, IMO!

I am the same, myself, as in i've just done the JC, and if your son is going into Summerhill, pm me, if you'd like me to help him get acquainted to the school, and make friends etc. i'd be more than happy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Not sure how much the Grammar costs, but if it's possible, it'd be worth it. It's very good, especially if he wants to learn. Summerhill's also good. Also worth looking into out of town schools like Ballysadare. Should be buses to suit. Don't give up though. I know I started a thread stating how badly run Sligo is, but really it's a good place to live. Definately better than Mullingar (sorry:D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

il gatto wrote:
    Not sure how much the Grammar costs, but if it's possible, it'd be worth it. It's very good, especially if he wants to learn. Summerhill's also good. Also worth looking into out of town schools like Ballysadare. Should be buses to suit. Don't give up though. I know I started a thread stating how badly run Sligo is, but really it's a good place to live. Definately better than Mullingar (sorry:D ).

I went to the Grammar and it was a terrible school. I went to a lot of schools (moved house a lot) and it was second worst. Teachers didn't give a toss and it was full of Mummy and Daddy's little 'darlings'. Wouldn't recommend it if you want to learn something unless it's undergone a complete transformation in the last few years. :rolleyes:

Fitzo wrote:
    I am the same, myself, as in i've just done the JC, and if your son is going into Summerhill, pm me, if you'd like me to help him get acquainted to the school, and make friends etc. i'd be more than happy too.

Aah, what a nice thing to say. Sorry I know I'm going off topic but I think thats really good of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

genie wrote:
    I went to the Grammar and it was a terrible school. I went to a lot of schools (moved house a lot) and it was second worst. Teachers didn't give a toss and it was full of Mummy and Daddy's little 'darlings'. Wouldn't recommend it if you want to learn something unless it's undergone a complete transformation in the last few years. :rolleyes:
    Nope.. it hasn't! One of my neighbours kids did the same. He went there and left after a year to go to Summerhill.

Which despite it's terrible name has really calmed down.

• Advertisement

Fitzo wrote:
    and if your son is going into Summerhill, pm me, if you'd like me to help him get acquainted to the school, and make friends etc. i'd be more than happy too.

Fitzo - you really are so kind -that is such a nice thing to offer.

Unfortunately now, it looks like I won't be moving at all unless there is a miracle by Monday and even then its pushing it. It is already too late really to organise schools books, uniform etc for the beginning of term anyway.Plus we don't actually have anywhere to live, so.
    We have changed countries 3 times in the last five years, schools twice already in Ireland,plus location three times -this would have been the fourth, quite traumatic to settle in, make friends, change schools again, without the added hassle of starting mid term.
    Floods of tears don't change anything, so I'll just have to accept that things go tits up for a reason.
    Thank you for your offer, I am very touched.

well, im sorry to hear that, but if you do find something, i'd be more than happy to help, if he's going to summerhill
    Best of Luck to you.:(

[quote=dragonaUnfortunately now, it looks like I won't be moving at all unless there is a miracle by Monday and even then its pushing it. It is already too late really to organise schools books, uniform etc for the beginning of term anyway.Plus we don't actually have anywhere to live, so.
    We have changed countries 3 times in the last five years, schools twice already in Ireland,plus location three times -this would have been the fourth, quite traumatic to settle in, make friends, change schools again, without the added hassle of starting mid term.
    Floods of tears don't change anything, so I'll just have to accept that things go tits up for a reason.
    .[/quote]

Wow thats a lot of changes in five years, must be really traumatic for you and the kids.

You know I really want to say thanks to each and every one of you here for all your support and suggestions.Thanks especially to muffler who came up with a brilliant idea which didn't bring any result unfortunately....:D but the time and effort is much much appreciated.

We obviously won't be moving anywhere now - I give up -it is pointless, fruitless, too late and just too stressful -marriage is going/gone down the pan with the strain of it all.

When the time comes for me to be a single parent (soon:( ) at least I will be in familiar surroundings, and not stuck in Sligo somewhere not knowing a soul. Am trying to look on the bright side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im just sorry I couldnt get any better results but you look after yourself in any event. Keep the chin up girl

dragona

i am so sorry to hear things didnt work out, but in relation to the relationship, i hope its jsut stress and nothing more.

as muffler said, chin up and keep the best side out. It will all work itself out.

Cartron Bay??? Yay or nay....

I have just spent €250 on school books for September :( , and hubby is going to look at somewhere on Sunday. After which I will really really forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Cartron Bay's not too bad. I wouldn't like it but I'm a country boy. It's a fairly quiet estate and very convenient to town. Worth a look.
    With regards to the Grammar, I left a decade ago so I don't know what's happened there since. It was excellent when I left. And all schools are full of Mummy and Daddy's little 'darlings' these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

cartron Bay is grand, on the city bus route, but an easy walk too. Hope it works out.

Well there aren't words to describe the appallingness of it.Like a slum, but worse. I'm thinking about moving to Galway or something instead. This is described as being *available immediately*

All we need is to be 1/2 an hour away from Tubbercurry, any bloody direction Sligo is not going to happen, I don't think.

Pics of BEDROOM and sitting room....... There are a few more but you will throw up.

The carpet is rank, damp and sticky and the smell...... fumigation wouldn't have been enough.

• Advertisement

why the hell is there a cinder block sitting on the table?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fitzo wrote:
    why the hell is there a cinder block sitting on the table?:confused:
    Can you not see thats its sitting there ready to be cut with the saw :D

muffler wrote:
    Can you not see thats its sitting there ready to be cut with the saw :D
    :D true, when you put it that way it makes sense.

ironically that house is a **** hole but it will be taken by students at the drop of a hat.
    No offense to students, i was once a solider fighting that war, and i lived in some rum places.

Dragona, keep looking, but if you should also look the leitrim side of sligo, dromahair, ballintogher, ballygawley,sooey etc
    They are all within 30 - 40 mins from tubbercurry.

keep the chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Good god dragona, if you had'nt posted the pictures i would not have belived it.

Sligo weekender - online property listing, but im guessing you have been working your way through the Champion and Weekender.

drive3331 wrote:
    Good god dragona, if you had'nt posted the pictures i would not have belived it.

Sligo weekender - online property listing, but im guessing you have been working your way through the Champion and Weekender.

HA! A few others that we've looked at were very bad also, but this one just left me speechless. This unfortunately seems to be the quality on offer.

I want to, really want to just give up - but the 1 1/2 to 2 hr commute twice a day is a killer now.
    I think I will forget Sligo and look at other areas, but all have to be within 1/2 hr or so of hubbys work.

Theres a good few new houses in Tubbercurry. Someone I know is renting a brand new one for 400 a month.
    Its a nice town, not very big but the people are really friendly.

very good point magnumlady. did anyone even think of tubbercurry, or even curry for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ballina is around 1/2 hour from Tubbercurry too
    Also Claremorris.

• Advertisement

Or there is also Ballymote which has a train station. A primary school and 2 secondarys.
    Collooney which also has a station and primary schools.
    Ballysadare, seondary and primary school.

Advertisement