Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPSC Clubs

Options
  • 29-06-2006 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Is there any IPSC Clubs in the pipeline?

Cheers Lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here you go-
    http://www.ipsc-ireland.org/

edited to add-
    Just noticed you asked about 'ISPC', not 'IPSC'.
    Apologies if I jumped the gun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DDLR

Well atm, IPSC is new to ireland, Its taing off very well, Its a great sport, Personal i shoot Open class,

Www.IPSC-Ireland.org run by a great group of ppl, You wont meet a nicer man then John! and his crew.

Anyways drop them aline, If you want to know anything and if i can help send me a PM il try help you,

Take Care and i wish you the best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Agreed John & Co are helpful folks.Although methinks we should consider a fallback position of say practical shotgun or practical rifle,as I think it will get harder with the handgun situation.I joined last year,and it is abit pointless being a paid up member and being denied the liscense by an obstinate ol goat of a superintendant for a handgun,when I could shoot practical shotgun and have two shotguns ideal for that task.I mean,how many other folks are out there in the same boat,have shotgun,want to shoot prac shotgun,but have no facilityor competition or training chance to qualify under IPSC to do so?Cos the IPSC crew are concentrating on pistols,fair enough in the last year to get there firstest with the mostest established.But what is the plan if the pistols and semi autos become so difficult to get it isnt worth the effort??

Just my obs on it sofar.Can we get some practical shotgun and rifle comps/courses going for us handgun less members?

Agreed John & Co are helpful folks.Although methinks we should consider a fallback position of say practical shotgun or practical rifle,as I think it will get harder with the handgun situation.I joined last year,and it is abit pointless being a paid up member and being denied the liscense by an obstinate ol goat of a superintendant for a handgun,when I could shoot practical shotgun and have two shotguns ideal for that task.I mean,how many other folks are out there in the same boat,have shotgun,want to shoot prac shotgun,but have no facilityor competition or training chance to qualify under IPSC to do so?Cos the IPSC crew are concentrating on pistols,fair enough in the last year to get there firstest with the mostest established.But what is the plan if the pistols and semi autos become so difficult to get it isnt worth the effort??

Just my obs on it sofar.Can we get some practical shotgun and rifle comps/courses going for us handgun less members?

Well I agree, Iv been looking to to IPSC 3Gun Events, MutliGun, Its Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun all on one stage, I dont know how its going to work out but im doing my best, Hopefully next year we will have 3gun events!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

I guess its been true to say that Handguns have been the main focus of IPSA since it started, this was necessary because

(1) having no history or experience of IPSC down South we were keen to gain all the experience that we could get from the Lads in Newry and UKPSA
    Basically in Newry the focus is on Handguns so we capatalised on that.

(2) It has given us the foothold to get people trained as RO's (only a conversion course will be required to train them up to Shotgun and Rifle RO standard)

A lot of people are interested in S and R events and even 3 Gun events, this is in the pipeline and we are working on it but things will not happen overnight so keep tuned into the website for further info.

By all means contact us through the website above and we would advise anyone intending purchasing a handgun for practical Pistol to seek advice from IPSC Competition Licence Holders at the very least, because the Handgun rules Governing IPSC competition can be very complex to those taking up the sport for the first time. ie changing the hammer on your handgun could make it illegal for competition, or you could find that you have purchased a new handgun only to find that you cant enter it into Production Class. OR you purchase a .357 and find that you will only be scored as a minor Factor in competition wereas the guy becide you is shooting a .40 with the same capacity as you but is being scored as a Major Factor.

All in All a lot of New ground for everyone to cover and were there to help as much as we can and we are continuing to do the ground work which we see as the cornerstone of the Future of the Association.

We would actively encourage Clubs and individuals to look into shooting Practical on their Ranges and FREE advise and assistance is available from the Association.

JD Corcoran
    Secretary IPSA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

In relation to the club situation, there are two clubs working very hard to establish Dynamic Shooting Competitions, Hilltop and Jim Halpin in Kerry. Hilltop have hosted one Competition Course so far this year, I understand that both ranges are awaiting their range approval certificates prior to running IPSC events. The principals of both facilities have being in constant contact with the IPSA and I have no doubt that before the end of 2006 we will see some very exciting competitions. The IPSA have a range crew availabe to both design, build , referee, and score competitions . The situation with both shotgun and mini rifle is progressing very quickly, we have contacted the UKPSA and will be announcing details of competition licence courses in the next month. The only difficulty is securing a approved range to host the classes, but this is something we are working on at the moment. We have 25 sports shooters going to Holland in September to take part in a International Competition, we will send a team to the Europeans in 2007 and the Worlds in 2008. We have refrained from making any public comment in relation to the forthcoming CJB but I can assure IPSA members that your association has made a presentation on your behalf. Details of all upcoming courses and competitions will be posted om our web site www.ipsc-ireland.org.

DVC

IPSA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Forgive me for Hi-jacking your thread,

While we have an IPSC related thread I was hoping that someone could tell me if the Glock 35 40 cal (unported) with the 5.32inch barrel will 'fit in the box' and is it permissable for standard division?

Thanks...

Chopperdog wrote:
    Forgive me for Hi-jacking your thread...
    <nervously raises hand>
    Um... yeah... and if someone wouldn't mind explaining this 'Minor/Major Power' thing too, I'd be most grateful :)

Rovi wrote:
    <nervously raises hand>
    Um... yeah... and if someone wouldn't mind explaining this 'Minor/Major Power' thing too, I'd be most grateful :)

To ensure that the cartridges used in practical shooting competitions are suitable man-stoppers, the rules call for a test of the competitor's ammunition. Originally, this was done by momentum on a hinged steel plate called a "ballistic pendulum."

The match organizers would shoot the ballistic pendulum with a "standard" gun and load, usually a Colt Combat Commander with 230 gr. hardball for "major caliber" and a Browning Hi-Power with 124 gr. ball for "minor caliber." Competitors would have to equal or exceed the travel of the pendulum with their match ammo and gun to "make major."

Hardly anyone willingly shot minor caliber because the scoring rings on the IPSC target penalized a shooter for anything but perfect hits with a lower score for minor.

With the advent of affordable and reliable chronographs, the cumbersome ballistic pendulum was relegated to the scrap heap of IPSC history, along with stop plates and Rhodesian walls. Chronographs were used to test competitor's ammo to meet a "power factor" of either "major" or "minor." Major equated to the old 230 gr. hardball out of a Commander; minor corresponded to ball ammo Out of a Hi-Power. The power factor of major was set at 175 and minor at 125.

The power factor is simply bullet weight in grains multiplied by velocity in feet per second, divided by 1,000. This is a variation of the calculation for momentum. The product is divided by 1,000 just to make the answer come out in a nice little number. There are no units assigned; it's just a number.

Thanks for that DDLR.

So, are these figures (175 and 125, or whatever a shooter's load chronographs at) then used to calculate scores somehow, along with the holes actually punched in the target?

And where do the other regular calibres besides .45ACP (9mm, 10mm, .38Special, .357Mag .40S&W, etc) fall in the great scheme of things?

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote:
    Thanks for that DDLR.

So, are these figures (175 and 125, or whatever a shooter's load chronographs at) then used to calculate scores somehow, along with the holes actually punched in the target?

And where do the other regular calibres besides .45ACP (9mm, 10mm, .38Special, .357Mag .40S&W, etc) fall in the great scheme of things?

Only way to make it in IPSC is to reload, You can load .38SuperAuto/9mm to Major but iv heard bad things, Personaly i shoot .38SuperAuto(Minor) 40SW(Major) . If all gose well with the Justic Bill People will be able to reload down here in the south, When this happens we can then work on our loads find our feet and get ireland some gold,

I'v been shooting for around 7 year Shotgun - Rifle and now Pistol and personaly i find IPSC to be the best Shooting sport around, Its not all about AIM in IPSC, Its about speed, Fitness and using your head, (eg, View the COF and plan in your head how your going to shoot it) an IPSC World Champion in my mind is a true Master!

Anyways for anyone thats intersted in IPSC www.ipsc-ireland.org keep an eye on the forums all updates and news will be there, Also contact John or any of the Leadership if you need any more info,

Ireland wouldnt have IPSC if it wasnt for John and his crew, John has been working every day for the last few years to get IPSC off the ground here in Ireland, Working with the IPSC in Northen Ireland also a great group of lads!

Anyways if i can help in anyway please contact me by PM il be more then happy to help anyone if i can,

Rovi.

The major , minor is somewhat of a throughback from the very early days of the sport. The motto of IPSC is DVC , Latin for power ,speed and accuracy. In its infancy IPSC was simply a sport to hone the skills of Police , tactical shooters etc , it involved the use of cover and tactics . Each "Stage" had a "Story Board" with lots of bad guys etc etc. IPSC is now a very differant beast, tactics, hostage targets, story boards are all gone by the wayside. The type of pistol , shotgun ,rifles that are now in vogue are miles away from the guns Col Cooper would have shot at the South West Pistol League many many moons ago. The days of only shooting rounds that were "Man Stoppers" are long since passed. Many people still feel that IPSC is a aid to self defence ,police training ,I would respectfully point out that the only thing IPSC has in common with a combat pistol course is the fact that to partake in both you need a gun. The major ,minor simply refers to the fact that to score major ie 5 Points For a A,4 For a B, and 3 for a C, your bullet must be .40 cal or greater and its weight multiplied by its velocity divided by 1000 must exceed 170, for example a 180 Gr .40 cal bullet travelling at 890fps would equate to a PF OF 176. You would score major on all targets . To score a stage ,it is the total points scored less any penalities divided by the time, this will give you your hit factor, highest hit factor wins the stage , but here is the crunch all the other shooters score only a percentage of the winning score , so to do well you must balance the speed versus the accuracy. Overall the equipment , used by the current crop of IPSC shooters is very different from what was envisaged by Col Cooper many years ago. Sport Pistols for Standard Divison are running into the €3000.00 plus with mags at €85.00 each. To excel at IPSC Pistol you would need to shoot in the region of 20000 Rnds a year, the top Europeans are shooting 350 to 500 a day for 6to8 days before any of the major Level 3 comps. We are slowly moving up the ladder and I would expect to see some of our guys and girls finish in the top 15 at this years Dutch Open, with a allout effort for the European Championships in 2007. Lots to look forward too.

I have to agree its not a cheap sport what so ever!

I bought two pistols one for standard and one for Open class plus some Gear set me back 10000.00(10k) for Pistols and Gear alone lol

I also Shoot Rifle! anyways If your looking for a fast sport something that will take time, Money and skill then IPSC is worth a go, Anyways drop up or down to a IPSC Comp next time there is one on and you will see what its like!

Les45 Hows the pistol shooting mate?
    You going to be shooting major at the Dutch open with the 45ACP or you got anything new?

les45 wrote:
    The major ,minor simply refers to the fact that to score major ie 5 Points For a A,4 For a B, and 3 for a C, your bullet must be .40 cal or greater and its weight multiplied by its velocity divided by 1000 must exceed 170, for example a 180 Gr .40 cal bullet travelling at 890fps would equate to a PF OF 176. You would score major on all targets ...
    Fair enough, I think I've got that.
    What does scoring 'minor' do for (to?) you?

I figure a 9mm bullet of 115gr doing 1100fps would have a power factor of 126.5.
    How would that score on the above target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Major Minor
    5 5 A hit
    4 3 B hit
    4 3 C hit
    2 1 D hit

Penalty hit -10(max 2 per target)
    Miss -10(max 2 per target)

Also Procedural penalties for doing things wrong eg shooting while standing outside a box where stage briefing says that you must be in box when firing

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

DDLR wrote:
    I have to agree its not a cheap sport what so ever!

I wouldn't agree with that entirely, you don't have to spend 10k to get into the sport. Lots of folk are shooting production with their Glock 17s an CZs and although these are at the lower end of the price spectrum, they dominate this division. What is your open gun DDLR?.

Rovi, 125 is the minimum PF for minor calibres.

Macnas is correct, lots of very good IPSC shooters are shooting Glocks and CZ75 cs , they cost a fraction of the hand made german guns and are just as much fun.The biggest hurdle is ammunition cost, to be sucessful you need lots of practice , and without the option of reloading we are simply not going to get to the level where we can challange the Europeans. Robbie Latham is shooting in or around 60000 rounds a year in both practice and competition, at current Irish costs that equates to € 15000.00 investment year in year out.

Folks,what at the moment is the legal status/defination of IPSA here in the South?? Are we a club,an organisation,a club looking for a shooting ground as a base.An organisation becoming a club, looking for a home base range,or any other combination?
    Reason I am asking,is going to my application I am just wondering is my friend the Super denying the application due to the fact that we are not recognised as a "club" per se.IE no home base,etc etc
    When I had a chat with FLAG[not Declan,but one of his co members of his organisation]it seems that IPSA is not recognised as a club or shooting sport in Ireland yet ,under one of the many governing bodies[forget which] that organise shooting sports in Ireland.:confused::confused:
    Could anyone clarify please??

macnas wrote:
    I wouldn't agree with that entirely, you don't have to spend 10k to get into the sport. Lots of folk are shooting production with their Glock 17s an CZs and although these are at the lower end of the price spectrum, they dominate this division. What is your open gun DDLR?.

Rovi, 125 is the minimum PF for minor calibres.

Oh sorry i take that back, Its true you can shoot production yes! you can get started in the sport for around 1500Euro Gun + Some basic gear,

For myself i went Open Class below is my Pistols and Gear!

Tanfoglio Gold Custom Eric's Model .38 Super Auto, Sprinco Recoil Reducer with a C-More on Carbon Mounts with Thumb Rest "Open Class"

and

Tanfoglio HC Custom .40SW, for training,

Also all my IPSC Gear,

Holster CR Speed WSM II
    CR Speed "Hi Torque" Belt
    CR Speed Mag Pouch x4
    CR Range Bag

and so on!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

The IPSA is recognised by the IPSC, surely that's the only recognition it needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

The IPSA is the National Governing Body of Practical Shoting in Ireland as recognised by the IPSC in Canada.

AT PRESENT we have not affiliated to any shooting Body in Ireland (this is not to say that we are not considering/investigating/or in the process of doing so) nor does it imply that we are obliged to do so.

We will make a decision on this when we feel it is in the best interests of the Association, its membership and the furtherance of the Sport of Practical Shooting in Ireland.

We have not taken this decision lightly and belive it is a well informed choice and in the best interests (at Present) of those mentioned above. Our decision IN NO WAY reflects any disrespect or disreguard twoards any association or Governingl Body in existance. indeed IPSA has publicaly applauded the work of FLAG and all the other associations and bodies including individuals who have worked hard and helped to produce the situation which ended a 32 year stalemate, and I might add continue to do so.

We are an Association of its membership and ideally would like a home/national range but we are far more interested in promoting the sport through our members individual Clubs and Ranges and Developing PP from the grass roots, to this end advice assistance and the extensive experience which we have developed by our involvement in the sport to PP is available to everyone.

Our first Competition was held in the Midlands and we really appreciated the use of the facilities and all the help and assistance afforded to us there, we have visited a number of other ranges also and were well recieved and a lot of people were astounded as to the level of preperation and stage building which was required even to set up a simpe stage. This level of preperation and work is necessary to run a "SAFE" and also important to the Range Crew "A FUN SHOOT" for everyone involved.

IN doing so we are committed that both International and our own National Guidelines, Rules and Regulations will be adheared to fully thereby ensuring both the credability and the future of the Sport of PP will be of the Highest Standard and Continue to be so well into the Future.

The IPSA Competition Licence as issued by us is recognised internationally and members have competed in Holland, Germany and Thailand on foot of this, subject to the signing off by the Regional Director.

Obviously we are awaiting the implications of the CJB like everyone else and obviously the application of same and while the Association has made no Public Comment on it at present, individual and well informed members have and will continue to voice their opinions.

It is ipsa policy at present to offer Basic Safety and Competition Licence Courses on a non profit basis to its membership, and if I were to be honest I would say they are run at a loss to the Association. We are actively doing this to get the ball rolling and keep it moving at a most resonable cost to our members.

Hope this is Helpful
    JD Corcoran
    Secretary IPSA

Thanks Gun shy
    That clears up the affilation question for me.And proably also explains some stonewalling for some folks,like me on the issueing front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

All,

I got my competition licence earlier this year but so far have not had the opportunity to compete in any competitions:(
    The problem is is that I live in the south of Wexford & it seems all the active IPSC shooters are currently shooting in Newry at the NITSA range. Even the shoot (Level II competition) on 7th & 8th of July organised in Newry was cancelled because of lack of competitors. I arranged a day off work and a B&B for somewhere to stay. I was really looking forward to it:( I really really want to get shooting in competitions but where do I go??

Is there anyone out there in the South East who's int he same boat as myself. I've a lot of shooting buddies who have centre fire pistols but they've no interest in IPSC. It would be good to find some shooters close to home who are into IPSC.

Maybe I should tray a personal add in the local newspaper. It could read something like this " Local lonely lad with interest in fast draws & double taps seeks other fun loving adults for some range running & shooting fun":D :D:D:D

" With big Gun ,willing to travel"!!

"Send photo of gun."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rovi wrote:
    "Send photo of gun."

nice but not dirty enough, it should be "send a phot of your exposed weapon"

or "I lube my own barrel"

i am the king of "in-your-endo"

packas wrote:

Is there anyone out there in the South East who's int he same boat as myself. I've a lot of shooting buddies who have centre fire pistols but they've no interest in IPSC. It would be good to find some shooters close to home who are into IPSC.

Well i woudnt worry mate, IPSC is still new to ireland, More people are joining everyday, IMHO its the sport of kings :) It will pick up over the next year or so and there will be clubs around ireland! to go and train :)

Anyways best of luck man, if your ever in Dublin look me up we go down the range do a COF or two :)

Rovi wrote:
    "Send photo of gun."

Well here is some of my Babys!

Limit Custom HC .40SW

141120050016bq.th.jpg

Eirc Gold Custom .38SuperAuto with C-More :)

goldy10qu.jpg

Nice rear grip no?? :P

goldy23be.jpg

DDLR,
    That yoke there in your post pics.Does that go ZAP or BANG??:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

DDLR,

Thats one hell of a Hand Gun . You need to develop a Big Cheesy Show off Grin to go with that.:D

Advertisement