Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXI: Worth the cost?

Options
  • 29-06-2006 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I bought FFXI a couple of days ago but now i'm having second thoughts as to installing it.This is my first mmorpg and at the moment i can probably play for a few hours a day.But come september it's back to uni with me and i'll only get to play it for a few hours a week, and thats assuming i don't get totally absorbed by the likes of KH2 and FFXII when they come out.So should i bother installing it if its going to cost me 10 euro a month for a few hours play if even that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

You could just play for a few months and then no longer subscribe. I assume that it is not based on a minimum contract of 6 or 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

No, i play it. You'll get the first month or two for free and theres no minimum amount you have to subscribe for. So if you just go for summer youll only pay around 10 euro.

Although if you do only play a few hours a week, lets say its 5, it only costs you 50cent an hour to play the game. Some may see this as not worth it but i think it is

EDIT: But now that i think about it you wont get very far if you only play for summer and a few hours a week. And the start of the game isn't that much fun because it's more of a solo effort than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miskin_12

I was sort of planning to play it maybe for a few months and then stop playing it if i don't have the time. The problem with that is after 3 months of it being inactive,Square delete your account and make your copy of the game useless ,which means you have to buy a new copy if you want to play it again.
    Is it possible to be as light a user as i might be and still join a party or would i be better off being alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

FFXI isn't that great of an MMO, tbh if your looking for a good casual MMO to pass a few months then WoW is probably the best choice. Now i'm a HUGE fan of the FF series, but FFXI is more cashing in on the name than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Miskin_12 wrote:
    I was sort of planning to play it maybe for a few months and then stop playing it if i don't have the time. The problem with that is after 3 months of it being inactive,Square delete your account and make your copy of the game useless ,which means you have to buy a new copy if you want to play it again.
    Is it possible to be as light a user as i might be and still join a party or would i be better off being alone?

Not exactly. Itll only go inactive if ya dont pay. They wont delete yer PoL account if ya deactivate the content id's. Theyre the only thigs thatll be deleted after 3 months. The PoL account is free once its activated itll stay activated.
    Word of warnin FFXI isnt the greatest of games. It requires a LOT of time to get to the higher end content and even thats been ****ed up atm by gilsellers monopolisin NM's in the sky region of the game as well as the big Item camps. Also theyve suckass CS support and some GM's in the game have been known to be biased against english players. TBH the only reason i havent jumped to WoW is cause ive spent a year playin this and aint gonna gie up yet while theres still some good areas left to explore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Miskin_12 wrote:
    The problem with that is after 3 months of it being inactive,Square delete your account and make your copy of the game useless ,which means you have to buy a new copy if you want to play it again.

Not true, i stopped playing for about 4-5 months, came back and EVERYTHING was still there. Not even the content IDs were gone. I just picked up from where i left off.
    It is possible to be a light user, but you won't progress much through it. By light, how light do you mean? Because once you're up in the high levels you might have to set a good few hours aside to do anything in game

By light I mean a few hours a week, being only able to play on 2 days a week. As for the 3 months thing i guess i read the manual wrong. I'm an FF fan myself so when i saw it i just sorta went "Oooh! Its Final Fantasy! Online!" and bought it without really thinking.So basically I can play it for the free month,let them deactivate my account and then say in a few years time i can play it again without any hassle?

You know I think i'll just play this game after I'm finished with Dragon Quest.After all, I did pay 20 euro for the bloody thing.Is that new expansion pack any good? And is it easy to cancel it?

Advertisement