Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on components

Options
  • 29-06-2006 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm looking to replace my PC and I'm thinking of going down the build it myself route. Will this work out much cheaper - say building a machine with an equivalent spec to a Dell xps as opposed to buying the Dell itself - would I be getting good value for money?

The other thing is I'm not as up to speed on PC components as I would've been a few years ago so apart from Graphics cards I don't which parts are best. As in Intel or AMD and what should I be looking for in specs for RAM/Hard Drives/Motherboards, etc.....

I'll proably spend around 2K (excluding monitors which I already have) so if anyone can recommend some good components that would fall into this price range I'd like to hear them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

okay first thing to do is hold of a little while longer and get the new intel conroe chip. It is hailed ot be the best cpu intel have brought out in a long time.

For the self build part it is much more economic way to get a pc, you could get exact specs to a dell xps at a 30% or more discount if you shop around. All of the products will come with at least a 1year manufactures warranty.

If you have 2k to spend you can have a monster of a pc. Allow 500 for a cpu, 200 for a mobo. 300 for ram, 350 for a graphics card, or even two, crossfire and sli. 150 for a case. 50 for a dvd rw. and say 250 for 2 hard drives 100 for a psu. and you have some cash left over to take the missus out for a nice meal and a few drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Best build your own than go to Dell (if you able why not). You cant clock most Dell mobo's and also they use cheaper versions of components. I'd advise you wait till 23rd july when conroe is released cos Amd have announced a price drop the very next day :D

Advertisement