Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daft Punk - Nice one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hey Helix, you're so cool and avante-garde!

Is there a name for this new jaded Generation X that you're representing?

Is it Generation XP?

Nu-X?

Rolleyes all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

Aidonin wrote:
    I agree with you, it deffinately won't sell-out in a day, marlay park is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE and while daft punk have a good fan base, it's actually kinda niche and not everyone likes them, they're also not going to be offering anything different to the rest of the gigs they've been doing so far. It will be them (well...we think) in a pyrimid with the exact same set we've probably all downloaded by now, oh and i'm convinced this won't be the last we will have seen of daft punk live.
    Still i can't wait and i suppose the support act, whoever it is, will help sell it out eventually!

Yeah, the set will definitely be the same one we've all downloaded and heard, their set in France last Friday sounded identical. Downside of the internet I suppose, but what can you do? If your going, you'll be going for the visuals and the atmosphere, but musically I'm not expecting any deviations from the live set from Coachella (in fact, I'm pretty sure it will be note for note the same). It will sell out eventually, but I'd be highly surprised if it sold out on July 14th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yeah, the set will definitely be the same one we've all downloaded and heard, their set in France last Friday sounded identical. Downside of the internet I suppose, but what can you do? If your going, you'll be going for the visuals and the atmosphere, but musically I'm not expecting any deviations from the live set from Coachella (in fact, I'm pretty sure it will be note for note the same). It will sell out eventually, but I'd be highly surprised if it sold out on July 14th.

Oxegen never sells out in a day, takes a few months too. Yet there are still tons of people looking/willing to pay stupid money for it.

I can see this being very big. It mightnt sell out in a few hours. Mightnt even sell out in a day. But there will definitly be people looking to get tickets and will to pay stupid money for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Oxegen never sells out in a day, takes a few months too. Yet there are still tons of people looking/willing to pay stupid money for it.

Didn't it sell out in a day or two this year?
    Aidonin wrote:
    I agree with you, it deffinately won't sell-out in a day, marlay park is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE and while daft punk have a good fan base, it's actually kinda niche and not everyone likes them, they're also not going to be offering anything different to the rest of the gigs they've been doing so far.

1) It's their first Irish concert in 12 years
    2) They're headlining as opposed to being billed with other bands people mightn't like
    3) It's their only non-festival concert in the current leg of their tour - people who might irk at taking a day or two off work for their previous festivals would be more likely to go to this standalone concert
    4) Marlay park isn't that bloody big - to paraphrase, Radiohead have a good fan base but are actually knda niche and not everyone likes them, their gig (the day before the Daft Punk concert, also in Marlay) sold out in about 2 hours. That's the closet comparison I can make
    5) "they're also not going to be offering anything different to the rest of the gigs they've been doing so far." That's pretty much every touring band tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Touts touch children. /fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

jimi_t wrote:
    Didn't it sell out in a day or two this year?

1) It's their first Irish concert in 12 years
    2) They're headlining as opposed to being billed with other bands people mightn't like
    3) It's their only non-festival concert in the current leg of their tour - people who might irk at taking a day or two off work for their previous festivals would be more likely to go to this standalone concert
    4) Marlay park isn't that bloody big - to paraphrase, Radiohead have a good fan base but are actually knda niche and not everyone likes them, their gig (the day before the Daft Punk concert, also in Marlay) sold out in about 2 hours. That's the closet comparison I can make
    5) "they're also not going to be offering anything different to the rest of the gigs they've been doing so far." That's pretty much every touring band tbh

Well to be honest this IS different, you're getting a pre-recorded set that has already been set up, so like aidan said already, it WILL much note for note, like listening to a cd, but like everyone else i'll be going for the atmoshphere, and obviously the light show!!
    I wouldn't be comparing radiohead to daft punk either, radiohead have a MUCH wider fan base, and they are way more mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

radiohead more mainstream than daft punk?

get a grip man

i know a rake of people who arent even into dance music who are creaming themselves about this gig coz they thought one more time was a great track

im sure theres gonna be a hell of a lot of people like that at this gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

radiohead have a fanbase multiple times bigger than Daft Punk. Album sales for OK computer alone can tell you that.

theyre hardly a more mainstream band tho now are they, to suggest that is rediculous

• Advertisement

Well you're more likely to get people going to radiohead since alot more people have at least listened to OK Computer, and yes their fan base is WAY bigger.
    But i really hope daft punk do sell-out, as i won't be one of those people stressing about my tickets, and i really think there won't be a mental struggle for these tickets. I garentee you'll see them advertised for a good while after they're on sale, weren't they even doing discounts to try and get people to go to chemical brothers last year?
    Anyway i can't wait to hear who's supporting, hopefully LCD Soundsystem or something, could you imagine them doing "Daft Punk is playing.." just before they come on? I can't think of anyone better!!!

Aidonin wrote:
    weren't they even doing discounts to try and get people to go to chemical brothers last year?

perhaps coz the chemical brothers play here almost every year?

as opposed to daft punk who hardly ever gig, and this is likely to be their last tour ever due to guy manuel losing his hearing

coupled with the fact its their ONLY solo concert in the world?

added to the fact that its a weekend in ireland for europeans/britains who like dp?

AS WELL as the fact that on uk dance forums i use, theyre all going mental about getting tickets for this show

bottom line, we're gonna see a repeat of pearl jam, where tickets sold out in minutes, but most of the people buying tickets were people not living in ireland, basically their entire european fan base tried to get tickets tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

*****. If these sell out before i get my 15 odd i will go crazy.

Wow, i didn't know guy-manuel was losing his hearing, now i'm convinced that's not them in that pyramid. It also explains their move to directing if that's also the case.
    I just don't really see the big difference that this is a solo show, tickets to global gathering for one day are the same as this, but you've got me convinced nevertheless, although i still won't be buying 6 tickets....i'll leave that to u helix!

Aidonin wrote:
    Wow, i didn't know guy-manuel was losing his hearing, now i'm convinced that's not them in that pyramid. It also explains their move to directing if that's also the case.
    I just don't really see the big difference that this is a solo show, tickets to global gathering for one day are the same as this, but you've got me convinced nevertheless, although i still won't be buying 6 tickets....i'll leave that to u helix!

Guy Man isn't losing his hearing. Thomas Bangalter gave up DJing because he felt it was having an adverse effect on his hearing, but he didn't loose it. Laurent Garnier, on the other hand, has lost about 50% of the hearing in his left ear from 20 years plus of DJing. Makes you think...

What a ****ter, and i'd say it isn't even them up there. I actually wonder if they even attend the thing themselves, would there be any reason for them to?
    And would you say this thing will be a multi-support kinda thing, like bud rising last year when it was like mylo/underworld/basement jaxx?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Nikko

just noticed in a post above (and on MCD website) that they last played here 12 years ago..

Twas actually 10 years ago, in the Red Box (or whatever the Red Box was back then..) - support was Sean Lennon (he was crap)

Smashing gig, tho tbh - I had never heard of them. Wasn't until I heard Da Funk on the radio sometime later that it clicked who I had seen...

Should be a pretty class gig I reckon!

(",)

Nikko wrote:
    just noticed in a post above (and on MCD website) that they last played here 12 years ago..

Twas actually 10 years ago, in the Red Box (or whatever the Red Box was back then..) - support was Sean Lennon (he was crap)

Smashing gig, tho tbh - I had never heard of them. Wasn't until I heard Da Funk on the radio sometime later that it clicked who I had seen...

Should be a pretty class gig I reckon!

(",)

Sean Lennon supported Air in the Olympia. Roger Sanchez supported Daft Punk in the Red Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Nikko

I stand corrected - it was 10 years ago - there were substances involved :D

Anyone have a clue who will be supporting? It's only a week now ti'll tickets go on sale and i'm not seeing that much of a buzz about this tbh.

Aidonin wrote:
    Anyone have a clue who will be supporting? It's only a week now ti'll tickets go on sale and i'm not seeing that much of a buzz about this tbh.

lcd soundsystem

• Advertisement

Who told you?

the concert fairy

LIES!!!

...It's a big mingin' rumour and you know it! Although i can only imagine how great it would be if it was true!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Helix wrote:
    the concert fairy

Does knowing everything not get boring after a while? Always wondered, maybe you can enlighten me.

nah, it constantly keeps itself fresh

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Cool

Just it advertised on t.v today, still no mention of support acts though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Nedrac

tman wrote:
    would be interested to see who they pull out of the hat for support...

Justice i hope i would kill to see them live alongside Daftpunk

Justice, really? I liked them at the start but waters of nazareth is just boring now and the only thing i think that is truly brilliant from them is the remix of "NY Excuse" they did for soulwax, they really haven't done much other than that..
    ...now soulwax, there's a very suitable band for support, although they were in the ambassador there a while ago and they will be at EP aswell ( like every year), so...maybe not.....

I understand what you mean about justice getting a bit boring release wise. i've downloaded a few sets, and the way they mix tunes and the programing of there sets is second to none imho. As regards soulwax, My favourite gig I've ever been to was them at EP last year just a quality atmosphere. I think ive seen them enough though would like to see someone new. The reason id guess justice is DP's manager is head of the label they release on, and they haven't played here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

110th Street in Galway have had them over at least once, and I think they've played in Dublin before too.

Justice would just be a DJ set of course, but they might be looking for a "live" support act. Digitalism do live acts, and it would fit in nicely with their schedule too, as they are due to play 2 UK dates (London and Glasgow) on the Saturday and Sunday.

http://myspace.com/digitalism

I'm guessing them.

Id love to see digitalism that would make me quite happy. or justice or erol or tiga or anyone along those lines. I'll be there regardless anyway. The dublin gig was i think maybe the 10th of december or 10th of november it was cancelled anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So just how likely is it to sell out?

if theyre not gone within an hour ill be amazed

wouldnt be surprised if it was under half an hour

I'm starting to believe u helix.
    I flicked through the evening herald today only to find a FULL page taken up for the flippin' daft punk advertisement!!!
    I tell's ye, This friday wouldn't be one to be sleeping in on!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

and I just saw an add on TV...

Zascar wrote:
    and I just saw an add on TV...

Exciting isn't it? My friend told me that they apparently played that all through oxegen on the big screens before the big acts.
    I can see MCD are hoping for an instant sell-out with this!
    By the way, just out of curiosity, what's the capacity like with marlay park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lexxy

Listen to Harder Better Faster Stronger by Daft Punk : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/13250414

best daft punk song! ive liked them forever...not too many fans left around my area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Anyone hear a rumour about Kraftwerk supporting them or Was someone filling me with s*ite

• Advertisement

Anyone know if its max 4 tickets per Credit Card, or per Address? both myself and my sister want to buy 4, both our credit cards are registered to the same address, is this ok?

IT's 8 max, so you'll have no problem there. It also leads me to believe that we'll be seeing it sold-out very quickly and tons of tickets floating around on eBay etc...
    I heard the rumours about kraftwerk, but i doubt they're true. And to be honest i hope they're not. I don't really like kraftwerk, they're quite boring, even their live shows are nothing special, and don't give me all the bollox about them creating techno, even if it's true. I'd rather see someone like digitalism, which is becoming more a more likely.

I don't like kraftwerk either mate, can anyone tell me how many will marley park hold

Surrender wrote:
    Anyone hear a rumour about Kraftwerk supporting them or Was someone filling me with s*ite

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

kraftwerk supporting daft punk????

ive heard it all now

why not have the rolling stones supporting mcfly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

Surrender wrote:
    I don't like kraftwerk either mate, can anyone tell me how many will marley park hold

There were 22,000 at Oasis in Marlay last year, which was a sell out. Radiohead sold out by mid-day so id expect the same for Daft Punk. 20k+ is a fair amount of tickets so if you are on teh net or in a ticketmaster shop by 10am id say you will get sorted no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

What time do they go on sale at?

• Advertisement

WoHoo - I got mine!

Who esle is going? Maybe we should get a Boards.ie meet up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I got mine. Mate got them in sound cellar. Would ye say they'll still be on sale by the end of today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Got mine :D

:D Yes, Marley park here I come

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement